A new beginning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new here but want to wish you the very best in the next chapter of your life. Thirteen years is a long time. I often tell people when I decide to retire I'm not sure I will know how to live like a normal person. Not saying we are not normal as innkeepers but we do lead a different life for sure..
JerseyBoy said:
I'm new here but want to wish you the very best in the next chapter of your life. Thirteen years is a long time. I often tell people when I decide to retire I'm not sure I will know how to live like a normal person. Not saying we are not normal as innkeepers but we do lead a different life for sure.
Thanks everyone.
You are right, there is nothing normal about me unable to have our foyer and dining room doors open or even ajar.
I have opened them and said out loud "There, I'll leave it that way" and then felt like I was walking around unclothed, and walked back over to close them. They are closed right now. Safe and secure now ahhhh
After 13 years of keeping the doors closed, and also locked when guests are checked in, it is unbearable to have them open. I thought to myself, this must be what a hoarder feels like when they clear out the hoard.
I wonder if there is innkeeper deprogramming therapy... it sits in your chest sort of like emptynest syndrome. Will take some time to get used to.
Yep Emptynest for sure :) Take care. I assume you are still in your same location for the time being.

Wishing you all the best in this new chapter!
Glad to see you back here too.
Wow! what a story you shared. We do touch many lives and I know it was your warm personality that changed her mind. Thanks for sharing this touching story.

I'm new here but want to wish you the very best in the next chapter of your life. Thirteen years is a long time. I often tell people when I decide to retire I'm not sure I will know how to live like a normal person. Not saying we are not normal as innkeepers but we do lead a different life for sure..
JerseyBoy said:
I'm new here but want to wish you the very best in the next chapter of your life. Thirteen years is a long time. I often tell people when I decide to retire I'm not sure I will know how to live like a normal person. Not saying we are not normal as innkeepers but we do lead a different life for sure.
Thanks everyone.
You are right, there is nothing normal about me unable to have our foyer and dining room doors open or even ajar.
I have opened them and said out loud "There, I'll leave it that way" and then felt like I was walking around unclothed, and walked back over to close them. They are closed right now. Safe and secure now ahhhh
After 13 years of keeping the doors closed, and also locked when guests are checked in, it is unbearable to have them open. I thought to myself, this must be what a hoarder feels like when they clear out the hoard.
I wonder if there is innkeeper deprogramming therapy... it sits in your chest sort of like emptynest syndrome. Will take some time to get used to.
I totally get that! I have a lovely fireplace in the inn. Do I enjoy it? Not a bit.
If I want to dash out to the 'spare' bathroom at 5am I have to stop and think - is anyone here?
I get the feeling, too. We have no guest for the next two weeks, so we had dinner on OUR dining room table last night. Felt a little sneaky. Also, a lot nostalgic. We've had that dining set for 20 years and haven't used it at all for the past 3!
I suggest no more mention of it if it is considered part of the B & B. A certain 3-letter agency would be quick to disallow that deduction.

JerseyBoy said:
Thanks everyone.
No Holds Barred said:
Thanks everyone.
Fastest way to deprogramming…. Run to the door and fling it open. Walk into the front hall and shout, "Its all mine, nobody but us are here! Yahoo!" Then dance through the house, kick off your shoes and plop into the sofa and read a good story, etc. Might want to put up no trespassing signs to keep walk-ins out.

I'm so used to living in my quarters that I have no desire to branch out if/when I close.
Hoping the next owners will show up pretty soon, but in the mean time, enjoy your mansion.

Sooooo very happy to see you No Holds Barred!! Enjoy your home, ALL of it! May wonderful things happen for you in 2017! Actually may wonderful things happen for all of us in this new year.

Back