A two penny tip!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I stay somewhere traveling, I almost always leave my pennies because they don't have enough value to carry, but I'm too tight to pitch real money into the trash. It never occurred to me someone would take it as a comment on the stay. I'm just lightening my load..
Arks said:
When I stay somewhere traveling, I almost always leave my pennies because they don't have enough value to carry, but I'm too tight to pitch real money into the trash. It never occurred to me someone would take it as a comment on the stay. I'm just lightening my load.
I look to see how/where the money is left. There are places where it looks deliberate, others where it looks like what you do - offload the change. I have a 2 quart mason jar gathering all the change. It's usually worth about $100 at the end of a season.
But, yeah, you might want to consider how it looks both in the idea of 'bad service' or that the person cleaning the room probably doesn't think loose change is 'valueless' but also wonders why someone would only leave what's probably under $1 if they meant to actually leave a tip.
Which reminds me I need to tell my new housekeeper not to take it as an insult.
And I should go roll some of that change and go out for dinner this week!
Morticia said:
But, yeah, you might want to consider how it looks...
I can do that, but unless we can share the advice with several hundred million others, there will continue to be innocent parties dumping excess change, and overly sensitive innkeepers taking unnecessary offense!

We find pennies all the time here. We call it tips from The House. If we did a good job we get a penny. The first time I striped the wax off the kitchen floor, scrubbed it down and rewaxed it, I got five dollars in quarters. I brought the first chair in after the floor was completely dry to find a quarter on the floor. I picked it up and throw it in the jar. I came back into the room to find another quarter in the same spot. I added it to the jar and went for another chair. This time there was quarters all over the floor…. By the way, I was the only one home which is why I was redoing the floor! So when we find them here, we say, "Oh, look The House loves us!"

We find pennies all the time here. We call it tips from The House. If we did a good job we get a penny. The first time I striped the wax off the kitchen floor, scrubbed it down and rewaxed it, I got five dollars in quarters. I brought the first chair in after the floor was completely dry to find a quarter on the floor. I picked it up and throw it in the jar. I came back into the room to find another quarter in the same spot. I added it to the jar and went for another chair. This time there was quarters all over the floor…. By the way, I was the only one home which is why I was redoing the floor! So when we find them here, we say, "Oh, look The House loves us!".
Honda2014 said:
We find pennies all the time here. We call it tips from The House. If we did a good job we get a penny. The first time I striped the wax off the kitchen floor, scrubbed it down and rewaxed it, I got five dollars in quarters. I brought the first chair in after the floor was completely dry to find a quarter on the floor. I picked it up and throw it in the jar. I came back into the room to find another quarter in the same spot. I added it to the jar and went for another chair. This time there was quarters all over the floor…. By the way, I was the only one home which is why I was redoing the floor! So when we find them here, we say, "Oh, look The House loves us!"
Now that is strange. Maybe you should invite the ghost busters over to check the old girl out.

As a Brit it just means ive taken the bits and bobs out of my pocket - they won't change anything smaller than a $5 note back in to uk money so its worthless to us. Also in the UK is is only customary to tip hairdressers and waitstaff - very rare to tip anyone else.

Back