A warm welcome to the new forum members

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome all!
I too have a four bedroom B&B in waaaay eastern Canada, which up until now I've been doing myself. However, our season is much shorter than most (May to September with with little or moderate traffic other times of the year). I will be looking for help next year. DH has tried but he's busy too and we're building a greenhouse this year along with raised gardenbeds to grow some of our own produce next year. With all my laundry, future gardening time and involvement with a local women's entrepeneur group, my time is limited.
Plus, I'm sorry, I want to enjoy my beautiful province and my beautiful views. This forum has proven invaluable with advice and listening ears. We might start a brawl if we're all in the same room, but we still love each other!.
Hi Cat Lady.
It sounds like I am rowing the same boat you are. I am open year-round but do most of my business in the summer and slammed in October. There is a ski facility in here so I do get some winter traffic but I only book folks if they have 4-wheel or all-wheel drive. My husband got tired of pulling people out and shuttling them back and forth!
Over the last five years I have been gardening in raised beds (14) and each year has been a learning experience. I learned to plant what the locals plant as they have already figured out what works up here. It is wonderful to serve guests straight from my organic garden. I am soooo jealous of your greenhouse! That is on my wish list. :D
We innkeepers are truly blessed to live in a location where other folks only get to go for vacation!

Welcome all!
I too have a four bedroom B&B in waaaay eastern Canada, which up until now I've been doing myself. However, our season is much shorter than most (May to September with with little or moderate traffic other times of the year). I will be looking for help next year. DH has tried but he's busy too and we're building a greenhouse this year along with raised gardenbeds to grow some of our own produce next year. With all my laundry, future gardening time and involvement with a local women's entrepeneur group, my time is limited.
Plus, I'm sorry, I want to enjoy my beautiful province and my beautiful views. This forum has proven invaluable with advice and listening ears. We might start a brawl if we're all in the same room, but we still love each other!.
Hi Cat Lady.
It sounds like I am rowing the same boat you are. I am open year-round but do most of my business in the summer and slammed in October. There is a ski facility in here so I do get some winter traffic but I only book folks if they have 4-wheel or all-wheel drive. My husband got tired of pulling people out and shuttling them back and forth!
Over the last five years I have been gardening in raised beds (14) and each year has been a learning experience. I learned to plant what the locals plant as they have already figured out what works up here. It is wonderful to serve guests straight from my organic garden. I am soooo jealous of your greenhouse! That is on my wish list. :D
We innkeepers are truly blessed to live in a location where other folks only get to go for vacation!
Roxanne Trees said:
Hi Cat Lady.
AMEN!!

Welcome all!
Hi Cat Lady.
Roxanne Trees said:
Hi Cat Lady.
AMEN!!
Another AMEN!

Hi! My name is Natalie and my husband (to-be) starting managing a historic B&B in downtown Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada in January 2015. A month later, our beautiful baby arrived. We are getting in our groove in being stay-at-home parents (but working/on-call 24/7) of a very busy Inn and maintaining our sanity. I should mention we do not own the property; the Owner lives out of province and entrusts us with all daily management. I joined this forum to get some insight as I know this is a very unique job (also, I have become very introspective as a new, 30-ish old Mother!).
Welcome to the circus! We got it all here, so grab a chair, your favorite drink, and join the show!

Welcome from Northern New York (just a few miles from Canada). We have been open about six months with just two rooms and are enjoying our guests as well as the info on this site. I, too, don't post much but read daily.

Welcome Everyone! Hubby and I have a 5 room B&B and at just a year and a half, still feel like newbies! As a B&B 'youngster', I often don't have much to contribute, but love to check-in each morning and see how everyone is doing. Chat, vent, laugh, cry; the forum header says it all!.
We are in the same boat! I'm sure there is a ton you've learned that you can share. In five years, it'll be great to look back at our old vents and realize where we were back then, when it was still fresh. I'm looking forward to learning so much! Welcome!

In our 13th year owning and operating this 6 guest room inn, empty nest now (but raised two kids while operating the B&B), we host elopements, and try to shy away from most functions and events here (although we have done a few of those). Married 28 years in January to my best friend, who works here and outside the inn.
"Innkeeping ain't for wimps".
That has become my new professional motto! Hah! So fitting.

Welcome Everyone! Hubby and I have a 5 room B&B and at just a year and a half, still feel like newbies! As a B&B 'youngster', I often don't have much to contribute, but love to check-in each morning and see how everyone is doing. Chat, vent, laugh, cry; the forum header says it all!.
We are in the same boat! I'm sure there is a ton you've learned that you can share. In five years, it'll be great to look back at our old vents and realize where we were back then, when it was still fresh. I'm looking forward to learning so much! Welcome!
nataliebee said:
We are in the same boat! I'm sure there is a ton you've learned that you can share. In five years, it'll be great to look back at our old vents and realize where we were back then, when it was still fresh.
You would think so, wouldn't you.
I used to tell my daughter I was amazed at how much energy she spent in fabricating a story vs just telling the truth that would free her. That is about how I feel about griping over little things over and over when we could spend that time marketing our inn, or reading a book or something anything. But people like to have others to co-misery er commiserate with, and that is why we are here (on and off).
Not many learn from others mistakes, sometimes we do, most of the time we don't. So this is a good place to share those times.
regular_smile.gif

Back