Advice for an aspiring Innkeeper

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brent212 said:
... 1) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started? 2)Do you love it? 3) If so/not, Why?
Hello, Brent. Shelley and I are brand new innkeepers. We just bought our property on the 1st of June. I still work full time as a consultant, so I am gone half of the time. Shelley runs it almost by herself when I'm at work.
1) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started?
Shelley would probably have a different answer to number one, but I wish we would have known more about how things worked and what things needed replacing. For example, we found that the dishwasher was horribly inefficient, so we had to replace that. Shelley found she really needs a double oven, so that is a purchase coming up. We found out the hard way that we can't plug the toaster oven in the same outlet circuit as anything else. Luckily, the PO's were staying with us, and they came and helped out during a busy breakfast morning when breakers started tripping.
2) Do you love it?
Absolutely. I was originally thinking that I would retire within 5 years, but I hate being away. I love our town, our great guests, the music, the relationships and partnerships with other business owners, even the work is fun (well, some of it, anyway). I am seriously reconsidering turning our 5 year plan into a 2 to 3 year plan.
3) If so/not, Why?
From a business perspective, almost everything we do and buy is a tax write off. The business pays for our lives, almost. Also, there is just something free about owning your own business. It's like having a child: some days are good, some days are bad, but it's those really special moments that make you really really glad you are a parent/B&B owner.
Personally, it is something that my wife and I do together. Although we have pretty distinct roles, we collaborate on most everything (which means she usually gets her way. :)
Even though you will read many horror stories on here or hear about them from other innkeepers, they are the exception and not the rule. The main type of people that frequent Bed & Breakfasts are social people who are interesting and are looking to meet other interesting people.
Another reason why is the endless possibilities for creativity. You have the freedom to try any marketing idea and you will get different people every time. Have a jigsaw puzzle contest weekend (this was a great story from our B&B mentors). Hold a craft or music workshop. Use your creativity to solve your marketing challenges. We are constantly thinking of ideas to get people to stay with us during the slower times, like mid-week and winter. If something doesn't work, try something else.
I suggest attending the PAII conference in January as an aspiring Innkeeper. We went last year and we learned A LOT, and not just from the classes but from veteran innkeepers. I hope to see you there.
Sorry for the long post, but I could actually write about another page on this subject. Truthfully, for Shelley and I, it is a dream come true. Good luck with your venture..
ChrisandShelley said:
We found out the hard way that we can't plug the toaster oven in the same outlet circuit as anything else. Luckily, the PO's were staying with us, and they came and helped out during a busy breakfast morning when breakers started tripping.
Get that fixed as soon as you can! It's a pain in the patootie during breakfast. We used to have breakers tripping when someone turned on the hair dryer + A/C. Then, serendipitously, we installed a new outlet that required a new breaker box and all was fixed as if by magic. Until the following summer when we turned on the A/C in the kitchen at the same time the coffee machine kicked on. Sigh. Coffee or A/C? A/C or coffee? Had that fixed by the afternoon.
That was my $500 outlet. Nearly put me thru the roof until I realized it solved all the early morning emergencies. It was SO worth it.
We had an electrician come in and do some work. We still have to coordinate where we plug things in, but now Shelley has a decent system of what plugs in where. Hopefully, we can do some kitchen remodeling this winter and that will eliminate the problems. Hopefully.
ChrisandShelley said:
We had an electrician come in and do some work. We still have to coordinate where we plug things in, but now Shelley has a decent system of what plugs in where. Hopefully, we can do some kitchen remodeling this winter and that will eliminate the problems. Hopefully.
If a kitchen remodel is on your list, I strongly suggest you move it up the list. Having my new kitchen changed EVERYTHING about running the inn and also about feeling at home after moving. I know budget concerns matter, but in my experience, doing the kitchen asap makes a world of difference.
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
If a kitchen remodel is on your list, I strongly suggest you move it up the list. Having my new kitchen changed EVERYTHING about running the inn and also about feeling at home after moving. I know budget concerns matter, but in my experience, doing the kitchen asap makes a world of difference.
We 'remodeled' as much as we could. We really needed to give the guests more room for the coffee set up, etc. We ripped out carpet (yes carpet) and wallpaper and made everything more streamlined. It is still a joy (8 years later) to see how well it flows and how nice it looks, especially at check in when it's the first thing the guests see.
I f we had the money...I'd expand the kitchen out another 10 feet to give us storage and a place for a wall oven, warming draw and a bigger stove.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
We 'remodeled' as much as we could. We really needed to give the guests more room for the coffee set up, etc. We ripped out carpet (yes carpet) and wallpaper and made everything more streamlined. It is still a joy (8 years later) to see how well it flows and how nice it looks, especially at check in when it's the first thing the guests see.
I f we had the money...I'd expand the kitchen out another 10 feet to give us storage and a place for a wall oven, warming draw and a bigger stove.
We put in a double oven range. It fits in the same spot as a conventional range but has two ovens. Both ovens also have a warming feature. It is REALLY helpful in the morning. He is cooking bacon in one oven while I can make quiche in the other. Then they both work to hold the food warm.
TheBeachHouse said:
We put in a double oven range. It fits in the same spot as a conventional range but has two ovens. Both ovens also have a warming feature. It is REALLY helpful in the morning. He is cooking bacon in one oven while I can make quiche in the other. Then they both work to hold the food warm.
We had to take the knobs off the cabinets to the side of the stove in order to open the oven door. Seriously, there is no way TWO of us could use the oven/stove/sink at the same time.
Now that we just bought a bottom freezer fridge we can finally have the fridge door and dish washer open at the same time. Really, it's a glorious dance we do here each morning.
Morticia said:
Really, it's a glorious dance we do here each morning.
No wonder the guests come into the kitchen!

Brent212 said:
... 1) What do you know now that you wish you knew when you started? 2)Do you love it? 3) If so/not, Why?
Hello, Brent. Shelley and I are brand new innkeepers. We just bought our property on the 1st of June. I still work full time as a consultant, so I am gone half of the time. Shelley runs it almost by herself when I'm at work.
Shelley would probably have a different answer to number one, but I wish we would have known more about how things worked and what things needed replacing. For example, we found that the dishwasher was horribly inefficient, so we had to replace that. Shelley found she really needs a double oven, so that is a purchase coming up. We found out the hard way that we can't plug the toaster oven in the same outlet circuit as anything else. Luckily, the PO's were staying with us, and they came and helped out during a busy breakfast morning when breakers started tripping.
2) Do you love it?
Absolutely. I was originally thinking that I would retire within 5 years, but I hate being away. I love our town, our great guests, the music, the relationships and partnerships with other business owners, even the work is fun (well, some of it, anyway). I am seriously reconsidering turning our 5 year plan into a 2 to 3 year plan.
3) If so/not, Why?
From a business perspective, almost everything we do and buy is a tax write off. The business pays for our lives, almost. Also, there is just something free about owning your own business. It's like having a child: some days are good, some days are bad, but it's those really special moments that make you really really glad you are a parent/B&B owner.
Personally, it is something that my wife and I do together. Although we have pretty distinct roles, we collaborate on most everything (which means she usually gets her way. :)
Even though you will read many horror stories on here or hear about them from other innkeepers, they are the exception and not the rule. The main type of people that frequent Bed & Breakfasts are social people who are interesting and are looking to meet other interesting people.
Another reason why is the endless possibilities for creativity. You have the freedom to try any marketing idea and you will get different people every time. Have a jigsaw puzzle contest weekend (this was a great story from our B&B mentors). Hold a craft or music workshop. Use your creativity to solve your marketing challenges. We are constantly thinking of ideas to get people to stay with us during the slower times, like mid-week and winter. If something doesn't work, try something else.
I suggest attending the PAII conference in January as an aspiring Innkeeper. We went last year and we learned A LOT, and not just from the classes but from veteran innkeepers. I hope to see you there.
Sorry for the long post, but I could actually write about another page on this subject. Truthfully, for Shelley and I, it is a dream come true. Good luck with your venture..
ChrisandShelley said:
We found out the hard way that we can't plug the toaster oven in the same outlet circuit as anything else. Luckily, the PO's were staying with us, and they came and helped out during a busy breakfast morning when breakers started tripping.
Get that fixed as soon as you can! It's a pain in the patootie during breakfast. We used to have breakers tripping when someone turned on the hair dryer + A/C. Then, serendipitously, we installed a new outlet that required a new breaker box and all was fixed as if by magic. Until the following summer when we turned on the A/C in the kitchen at the same time the coffee machine kicked on. Sigh. Coffee or A/C? A/C or coffee? Had that fixed by the afternoon.
That was my $500 outlet. Nearly put me thru the roof until I realized it solved all the early morning emergencies. It was SO worth it.
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We had to take the knobs off the cabinets to the side of the stove in order to open the oven door. Seriously, there is no way TWO of us could use the oven/stove/sink at the same time.
Now that we just bought a bottom freezer fridge we can finally have the fridge door and dish washer open at the same time. Really, it's a glorious dance we do here each morning.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Your sit-com will be way funnier than Newhart's. Can I be the nosy, annoying neighbor?

Brent212 said:
2) Do you love it?
3) If so/not, Why?
ChrisandShelley said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Your sit-com will be way funnier than Newhart's. Can I be the nosy, annoying neighbor?
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
All the jobs are open, pick a character!

Brent212 said:
2) Do you love it?
3) If so/not, Why?
ChrisandShelley said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Or Rhoda... "Hi, I'm Carlton, your doorman"

Brent212 said:
2) Do you love it?
3) If so/not, Why?
ChrisandShelley said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome. I can come over in the morning and grab a muffin off of a plate as you prepare to leave the kitchen. My tag line can be, (as I knock on the kitchen door each morning at 9), "Are you busy??" (Cue the laugh track and cameral on close up of Mort rolling her eyes.!)

Brent212 said:
2) Do you love it?
3) If so/not, Why?
ChrisandShelley said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
ChrisandShelley said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Awesome. I can come over in the morning and grab a muffin off of a plate as you prepare to leave the kitchen. My tag line can be, (as I knock on the kitchen door each morning at 9), "Are you busy??" (Cue the laugh track and cameral on close up of Mort rolling her eyes.!)
(in a previous life, I was an actor.)

Back