Advice?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you serious? I would NEVER keep my reservation if one of my parents died. They're either liars or heartless, and in either case, don't deserve anything! Gawd!

i don't know what special thing i could do in this situation.
just a kind word maybe privately to see if he needs anything. does this girl seem very young? it's odd.
as for 'let us know if you're visiting for on a birthday' or whatever --- i provided so many special little birthday cakes and never ONCE got so much as a thank you. that really hurt my feelings and i stopped doing it. plus it got expensive. i mean, not even a thank you? i also stopped asking.
if they told me without my asking, i'd stick a candle in a pancake, muffin or piece of toast when serving. grumpy old innkeeper

i don't know what special thing i could do in this situation.
just a kind word maybe privately to see if he needs anything. does this girl seem very young? it's odd.
as for 'let us know if you're visiting for on a birthday' or whatever --- i provided so many special little birthday cakes and never ONCE got so much as a thank you. that really hurt my feelings and i stopped doing it. plus it got expensive. i mean, not even a thank you? i also stopped asking.
if they told me without my asking, i'd stick a candle in a pancake, muffin or piece of toast when serving. grumpy old innkeeper.
Grumpy old innkeeper here, too! And guests love the candle in a pancake!

We have had people cancel and then when they realized that we might not rebook and they would loose their deposit they try to get the reservation back. Sooo, we now have this policy and we stick to it.
If they cancel with less than 30 days notice it must be by e-mail and acknowledged by us with a return e-mail confirming their cancellation. All cancellations are final. Period. We spend the time updating calendars and contacting Chambers of commerce to try to rebook but we do not allow the original guests to change their mind about coming, or to send someone else in their place.
This has saved us a great deal of grief and tension. Put it in writing and stick to it!

I don't think anything will make him feel better, but because she asked she'll now be expecting something. Maybe if you have any chocolate on hand you could just put that in there as a little treat - definitely no flowers.
By the way, is anyone else irritated beyond belief by the notes that guests put in their reservation that they are celebrating a special event - we all know these notes are meant to have us do something "special" i.e. "FREE" for them? It's their anniversary, not mine. Once they write this little note on the reservation, they are expecting that we give them something. I'd be losing tons a month if everyone who was here for a birthday or anniversary got free champagne or chocolate truffles. When I have my anniversary, MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND gets me something - that's who gives you something on your anniversary!!!!
But people are expecting this more and more and trying to get something free. So I bought heart shaped pans and I make a dozen fudge brownies at a time and freeze them. When someone is checking in who has written me a little note, than I take two out and put them on a pretty plate. I let them thaw, draw chocolate hearts on the plate and we put them in the room when they go to dinner with a handwritten happy anniversary note. They are thrilled and it only costs me about a buck for each room..
I think it's good to do something for a guest's birthday or anniversary. It's going a bit out of the way to make a guest happy and surprise them (even if they are expecting or hoping for a freebie, it just puts a smile on their face). I consider it like a marketing expense- it's a way to keep our place in their mind and maybe get a good review or good word-of-mouth out of it. As long as it's no more than about 10% of the cost of the room rate, it's definitely something I can afford and I see it as really no different than offering a 10% discount...
We've probably got a cheaper place than most of you (~$75-$100/ngt) and for a birthday, I'll place a nice card in the room with a $2.50 cupcake from the local bakery. For an anniversary or honeymoon, we leave a card and a single red rose. If I had a liquor license and it was ok to do so, I also wouldn't mind placing a cheap bottle of wine or champagne. And our guests always seem quite thankful and surprised and it makes me feel good too.

I don't think anything will make him feel better, but because she asked she'll now be expecting something. Maybe if you have any chocolate on hand you could just put that in there as a little treat - definitely no flowers.
By the way, is anyone else irritated beyond belief by the notes that guests put in their reservation that they are celebrating a special event - we all know these notes are meant to have us do something "special" i.e. "FREE" for them? It's their anniversary, not mine. Once they write this little note on the reservation, they are expecting that we give them something. I'd be losing tons a month if everyone who was here for a birthday or anniversary got free champagne or chocolate truffles. When I have my anniversary, MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND gets me something - that's who gives you something on your anniversary!!!!
But people are expecting this more and more and trying to get something free. So I bought heart shaped pans and I make a dozen fudge brownies at a time and freeze them. When someone is checking in who has written me a little note, than I take two out and put them on a pretty plate. I let them thaw, draw chocolate hearts on the plate and we put them in the room when they go to dinner with a handwritten happy anniversary note. They are thrilled and it only costs me about a buck for each room..
I think it's good to do something for a guest's birthday or anniversary. It's going a bit out of the way to make a guest happy and surprise them (even if they are expecting or hoping for a freebie, it just puts a smile on their face). I consider it like a marketing expense- it's a way to keep our place in their mind and maybe get a good review or good word-of-mouth out of it. As long as it's no more than about 10% of the cost of the room rate, it's definitely something I can afford and I see it as really no different than offering a 10% discount...
We've probably got a cheaper place than most of you (~$75-$100/ngt) and for a birthday, I'll place a nice card in the room with a $2.50 cupcake from the local bakery. For an anniversary or honeymoon, we leave a card and a single red rose. If I had a liquor license and it was ok to do so, I also wouldn't mind placing a cheap bottle of wine or champagne. And our guests always seem quite thankful and surprised and it makes me feel good too.
That RED Rose might cost you. They put the petals on the bed...

Back