Advise on locksmith

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't go with phone numbers on the keypads for security reasons. If people know that's what you're doing, they could look up someone's phone number and break into their room.
When people make an online reservation they have the opportunity to enter the 4 digits they want to use. If they don't enter anything, I assign a random code. In 15 months I've never had a single case of anybody forgetting their code or getting locked out. No worries with keys being lost or carried off. No worries with someone duplicating a key and breaking in in the future.
Stu, the keypad locks I use hold up to 19 user codes at a time, so everybody has their own codes, including staff. My system lets me program the codes wirelessly from any computer or even my iPhone, and it lets me set the date & time the code will start to work, and the date & time it will no longer work. So I program it in advance and forget about it. Works very well..
I'm using the Zwave Yale with a nice VeraLite controller.

Sorry, but I think you. Part of innkeeping. Don't you have extra keys to rooms? You should..
I have multiple keys to each room. Two for guests, if they need two sets. And two for me, incase I can't find where I left one set, I have an emergency backup hidden. Now then...it's been so long that I hid them...mmmm..wonder where they are? LOL

You definitely need your own set of keys. What happens if they lose them? How do you make a copy?
Ok i pay. I have loads of spare keys but the keys are in the lock on the inside of the door, so i cannot use my key from the outside. And the lock is a yale lock, you just pull the door and it locks. Might have to look into changing the lock.
Sound like time to invest in new locks. Keyless entry pad seems like a good way to go.
It's only one room. It couldn't happen to any of the others.
its always the way - and why I don't have yales on the guest bedroom doors - they would be locked out 5 times a day some of them!

Back