Again with groups

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ironic that people like this who mess about and wont commit because of your cancellation policy are the same type of people who cause you to have this cancellation policy in the first place.

Just for fun, they all called back to make really sure their reservations were cancelled. It's like a circus.
Unlike the people all from the same area who booked 4 rooms individually over the course of 2 weeks so I didn't know they were together to give them the 30 day cancellation for a group. Another holiday weekend..
Morticia said:
Just for fun, they all called back to make really sure their reservations were cancelled. It's like a circus.
Unlike the people all from the same area who booked 4 rooms individually over the course of 2 weeks so I didn't know they were together to give them the 30 day cancellation for a group. Another holiday weekend.
oy vey!

Unlike the people all from the same area who booked 4 rooms individually over the course of 2 weeks so I didn't know they were together to give them the 30 day cancellation for a group. Another holiday weekend..
Morticia said:
Unlike the people all from the same area who booked 4 rooms individually over the course of 2 weeks so I didn't know they were together to give them the 30 day cancellation for a group. Another holiday weekend.
Sounds like what I'm going through right now. Started as a simple all-inclusive elopement. Just the couple. Now family has all called and booked rooms. This really should have been a whole house rental. They were going to make it a surprise for the wedding couple. Uhhhh, not a good idea! It's the father of the groom that is driving me nuts. Now I've become a wedding coordinator and I didn't sign up for that!
Breakfast Diva said:
Sounds like what I'm going through right now. Started as a simple all-inclusive elopement. Just the couple. Now family has all called and booked rooms. This really should have been a whole house rental. They were going to make it a surprise for the wedding couple. Uhhhh, not a good idea! It's the father of the groom that is driving me nuts. Now I've become a wedding coordinator and I didn't sign up for that!
WHAT! But then again the B/G screwed up when they told the family the plan and where!
This is why they chose to elope in the first place. To do it the way they wanted!
Add the charges! It is now a Destination Wedding!

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
WHAT! But then again the B/G screwed up when they told the family the plan and where!
This is why they chose to elope in the first place. To do it the way they wanted!
Fortunately the B/G now know they're coming, except 1 brother is a secret. I've already arranged for a restaurant to stay open late just for them. The Fatherzilla now contacted me wanting me to take his payment for all the different services (restaurant & limo) so he can just pay in one place. You've gotta be kidding!
BTW, I haven't heard 1 peep from the B&G. They've been just terrific and when they arrive tomorrow, I'm going to give them the option of changing rooms and putting them in our separate cottage. I have to protect them somehow from their family!
What do you want to bet I won't even get a tip for all this nonsense.

It's ironic that people like this who mess about and wont commit because of your cancellation policy are the same type of people who cause you to have this cancellation policy in the first place..
Highlands John said:
It's ironic that people like this who mess about and wont commit because of your cancellation policy are the same type of people who cause you to have this cancellation policy in the first place.
So true HG!

Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Fortunately the B/G now know they're coming, except 1 brother is a secret. I've already arranged for a restaurant to stay open late just for them. The Fatherzilla now contacted me wanting me to take his payment for all the different services (restaurant & limo) so he can just pay in one place. You've gotta be kidding!
BTW, I haven't heard 1 peep from the B&G. They've been just terrific and when they arrive tomorrow, I'm going to give them the option of changing rooms and putting them in our separate cottage. I have to protect them somehow from their family!
What do you want to bet I won't even get a tip for all this nonsense.
Yes, sounds like he thinks this is all concierge services provided by you. Best of luck!

This is all so crazy sounding and the exact reason we can reject these sort of bookings from where I sit. I have found a pretty good policy for you from one of our local places who specialize in weddings and have seen it all. I know that won't stop the indecisiveness and over the top expectations from guests, but it may discourage some of the nonsense with canceling ...
http://harborlightsresort.net/groups.php

I don't want the baton, but when people sit down and tell you "we only want toast, nothing else" after you have been up since 6am preparing their meal...it hurts.
By the way I don't serve toast.
And here is the rest of the story, when she said that, I said "well I have hashbrowns and eggs and fruit and..." and he said "That is what I WANT!" ...Just bring it to me, she can have toast!
cry_smile.gif

"Be nice to the person cooking your breakfast" as a very wise innmate is known for saying.

I don't want the baton, but when people sit down and tell you "we only want toast, nothing else" after you have been up since 6am preparing their meal...it hurts.
And here is the rest of the story, when she said that, I said "well I have hashbrowns and eggs and fruit and..." and he said "That is what I WANT!" ...Just bring it to me, she can have toast!
cry_smile.gif

"Be nice to the person cooking your breakfast" as a very wise innmate is known for saying..
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess it's possible they think they're doing you a favor, making it easy for you. They don't think about all the preparations and work you've already done.

cry_smile.gif

"Be nice to the person cooking your breakfast" as a very wise innmate is known for saying..
Joey Bloggs said:
I guess it's possible they think they're doing you a favor, making it easy for you. They don't think about all the preparations and work you've already done.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, I thought of that too. Clueless in Seattle. You know I had the same ol' "I always wanted to run an inn" said to me yesterday by non-guests and I said "you can buy ours" with a big smile... and later on she commented on how funny that was, and I said "Oh did you thought I was joking?" haha Yeah, it's all good.

cry_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
cry_smile.gif

"Be nice to the person cooking your breakfast" as a very wise innmate is known for saying.
Your people from Europe? I plan for toast and jam (even tho it is something we serve every other day anyway). That and eggs. A lot of folks from overseas won't eat doughy concoctions and only want eggs (and toast). Mostly the women.
Sorry, it does hurt. We try so hard to head this off, too. Walk-ins the other day replied there were no issues about food. At the table? "I don't eat eggs." You think you might see an EGG for breakfast?

They left the front door wide open when they left.
We have a diff culture here in America than Europe. It is always a bit of a clash, going there, coming here.
He ate everything and loved it. I added that to say "it is always the women"
and as my good friend Stevo says "Men and Woman have this in common: they would both rather be around men" and I state my case. again.

Upshot? Entire family canceled..
I forgot to mention, no joke, the 30+ phone calls this took to make $0.
Yikes. Sympathy. I might not be so nice on the phone after the 10th call. I think you get the week's PITA award.
Skamokawa said:
Yikes. Sympathy. I might not be so nice on the phone after the 10th call. I think you get the week's PITA award.
Not sure I've ever given it up. ;-)
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Mort holds the lifetime achievement award in this department.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
I thought that was Madeline?!?

Skamokawa said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Duff2014 said:
Arks said:
Dual award holders, that's for sure!

Skamokawa said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Duff2014 said:
Arks said:
Arks said:
Duff2014 said:
Arks said:
Yes it's a split, I would say.

Skamokawa said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
Duff2014 said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Skamokawa said:
It basically just goes back and forth. ;-) I'd be happy if she just took it off my hands.

Does anyone want to come up with an actual pita avatar? That way we could pass it around for real.
Maybe the hospitality symbol of a pineapple with a knife stuck in it. (Which is how it feels when our graciousness is vandalized.)

Does anyone want to come up with an actual pita avatar? That way we could pass it around for real.
Maybe the hospitality symbol of a pineapple with a knife stuck in it. (Which is how it feels when our graciousness is vandalized.).
Morticia said:
Maybe the hospitality symbol of a pineapple with a knife stuck in it. (Which is how it feels when our graciousness is vandalized.)
You are too smart for your own good, if you would only harness that power for...
YOU DESIGN IT and we will let YOU pass it to the next recipient. You have just made the next recipient laugh through tears when it happens... or maybe just code name this

Maybe the hospitality symbol of a pineapple with a knife stuck in it. (Which is how it feels when our graciousness is vandalized.).
Morticia said:
You are too smart for your own good, if you would only harness that power for...
YOU DESIGN IT and we will let YOU pass it to the next recipient. You have just made the next recipient laugh through tears when it happens... or maybe just code name this
Lousy design skills or I would have done it years ago.

We get this run around every summer. Have one pending now.
Bride: great, organized, polite, communicative. Family: ... what family? Come on folks, commit to the event; book a room; make her happy.
Actually, the only person on our do not book list came from a wedding a few years back. MOB could not commit, finally booked everything, then pulled early departure, leaving her family here. I had to corner her in the parking lot to get a card signature: entire inn at full rack rate, discount gone. Long story.

Back