An off-putting morning

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notAgrandma

Reaction score
I don't know why I ever think "I've seen it all" after only 6 years of innkeeping. I experienced two "firsts" this morning. I serve breakfast around 9:30 on weekends, with fresh fruit & a baked good on the table by 9 for guests that come down early. Well, one couple didn't come down until 9:45, ate the fruit, then told me they were running late and had to leave --- while I was plating their main entreé! Seriously? You can't sit down for another 10 minutes??
A second set of guests were here on their wedding night. I texted at 10:30 and asked if they were eating breakfast. Got a reply 20 min later saying they'd be down shortly. I told them check out is at 11, so breakfast was already over.
I ended up with 4 extra servings of bread pudding. Oh wait, there were 5 extra servings! One guest told me during their late check-in yesterday at 8:30pm that they had to leave early in the morning. The bread pudding was already prepped to sit overnight in the fridge.
I hope everyone else had a better morning!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Lovely full house, ate everything in sight. Breakfast organized for 8:30 for 16. By 9 most had sat down.

After 20 years this is what we call a morning off! In our early years we use to do the same thing. Call people or try and find out if they are coming to breakfast because they haven’t shown up. Now we just are glad there are less dishes and place settings to clean up! Don’t make more work for yourself. If they show up great, if they don’t it’s great for you!

After 20 years this is what we call a morning off! In our early years we use to do the same thing. Call people or try and find out if they are coming to breakfast because they haven’t shown up. Now we just are glad there are less dishes and place settings to clean up! Don’t make more work for yourself. If they show up great, if they don’t it’s great for you!.
In my room information it says "if you'd like a call before breakfast ends let us know, otherwise we will not disturb you".
That way nobody can blame us that they missed breakfast.
Oh... and after 14 years I've learnt just when you think you've seen everything.............Bam!!!

Everyone was happy with breakfast...one guest talked politics. I tried to get it back on track.

And then there are the days when you chase all over the house looking for your room decor that's done a walkabout.
And when you do two extra loads of dishes between breakfast and breakfast.
And throw out two full bags of trash and have one full bucket of redeemable bottles and cans.
All in a weekend's work.
Oh, and while I'm sleeping with the windows open and the fan on, 3 separate rooms had the heat up to 80 degrees. And, of course, instead of opening the windows to the 60 degree temp outside, the housekeeper turned on the A/C. Because, yes, I'm made of money. (I went around and opened all the other windows before cleaning commenced in those rooms.)

After 20 years this is what we call a morning off! In our early years we use to do the same thing. Call people or try and find out if they are coming to breakfast because they haven’t shown up. Now we just are glad there are less dishes and place settings to clean up! Don’t make more work for yourself. If they show up great, if they don’t it’s great for you!.
Hillbilly said:
After 20 years this is what we call a morning off! In our early years we use to do the same thing. Call people or try and find out if they are coming to breakfast because they haven’t shown up. Now we just are glad there are less dishes and place settings to clean up! Don’t make more work for yourself. If they show up great, if they don’t it’s great for you!
I wish it had been a morning off! All of that prep work to serve ONE guest out of 6 a full breakfast. I had already baked the chocolate shortcakes, sliced 2 lbs of strawberries, set the table for 5 (I knew one person couldn't make it), made 2 pots of coffee, baked a bread pudding casserole, and cooked sausage for 5. :p

This morning we made breakfast for 6. Two people ate. One room had taken off before we even got up!
That's one dozen eggs, one pound of cheese and one loaf of French toast bread wasted. Luckily, we have a 'pet' seagull that likes eggs. He'll get a couple quiche for his breakfast.
And don't yell at me for feeding seagulls. I know the rules. He had a head injury and a broken wing and decided to come to our house for recuperation. My bleeding heart animal loving husband started feeding him. Now that his head is better and his wing works, though it still looks broken, he comes to us every morning for food. It's really amusing. His name is Jonathan.

This morning we made breakfast for 6. Two people ate. One room had taken off before we even got up!
That's one dozen eggs, one pound of cheese and one loaf of French toast bread wasted. Luckily, we have a 'pet' seagull that likes eggs. He'll get a couple quiche for his breakfast.
And don't yell at me for feeding seagulls. I know the rules. He had a head injury and a broken wing and decided to come to our house for recuperation. My bleeding heart animal loving husband started feeding him. Now that his head is better and his wing works, though it still looks broken, he comes to us every morning for food. It's really amusing. His name is Jonathan..
It won't be amusing the first time you don't feed him and he eats the fish. :-(

And then there are the days when you chase all over the house looking for your room decor that's done a walkabout.
And when you do two extra loads of dishes between breakfast and breakfast.
And throw out two full bags of trash and have one full bucket of redeemable bottles and cans.
All in a weekend's work.
Oh, and while I'm sleeping with the windows open and the fan on, 3 separate rooms had the heat up to 80 degrees. And, of course, instead of opening the windows to the 60 degree temp outside, the housekeeper turned on the A/C. Because, yes, I'm made of money. (I went around and opened all the other windows before cleaning commenced in those rooms.).
We have such heavy pollen this year that I don't mind the AC being on rather than having the windows open. Worst year ever for pollen down here...and it's ongoing. Achuuuuu!

And don't yell at me for feeding seagulls. I know the rules. He had a head injury and a broken wing and decided to come to our house for recuperation. My bleeding heart animal loving husband started feeding him. Now that his head is better and his wing works, though it still looks broken, he comes to us every morning for food. It's really amusing. His name is Jonathan..
Morticia said:
He has shown no interest in the fish at all. He eats the fish food, but not the fish. Truly bizarre.

Back