Angry guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes there's a hand towel by each sink so she never wandered to his end of the bathroom!.
Obviously her vision is limited - if she missed it in all her visits to "mother" in 3 weeks, there is no hope. Fergitit!

This is for those out their wondering if they want to venture in this business. I know you are reading this and shaking your head 'this can't be real'.

It IS for REAL!

Another one - we charge the card on arrival. It's just what we're comfortable with. Given how many guests leave before 8 am and how many bad credit cards we've seen in one year and that it's hard to stop the breakfast service to run a card while the guests stands there blocking everyone with 5 suitcases we do the money at check in. It's clearly stated online and in the confirmation.
One guest almost had DH yelling. He was insisting that he NEVER paid before his stay, he NEVER gave his card out EVER before he stayed. Nowhere. Ever. What if he didn't like it, if we were going to insist on payment in advance guests should be warned about this breach of service, ad infinitum.
DH offered to reverse the charges and he could be on his way. Told him we don't want unhappy guests. He actually looked up his confirmation on our guest computer, saw the info in there and shut up. For the rest of the stay. Peace and quiet.

Here is something, when I go to a hotel/B&B and there are only TWO cups/glasses in the guest room/bathroom. I need one for my toothbrush and one for drinking. But there are two of us. Now one night is not a big deal, but if I am there for a few days, I would like a cup for each of us and a spare, at least one.
I know I am not the only one as many of our guests have their toothbrushes in a cup.
What do you think, is this asking too much?
PS If you need some gospel-ish bluegrass to listen to while reading the forum, this group is playing here in March, Dailey & Vincent. Listen to them here. Your love is like a flower...
Anyone wanting to stay with us from the forum, you know you are more than welcome!.
We have toothbrush holders. I chose carefully ones where the brush and handle near the brush would not come into contact with the holder so the guest doesn't have sanitary concerns. Some people still use a glass for their toothbrushes, but we also have wine glasses and water sports bottles to drink out of.

Another one - we charge the card on arrival. It's just what we're comfortable with. Given how many guests leave before 8 am and how many bad credit cards we've seen in one year and that it's hard to stop the breakfast service to run a card while the guests stands there blocking everyone with 5 suitcases we do the money at check in. It's clearly stated online and in the confirmation.
One guest almost had DH yelling. He was insisting that he NEVER paid before his stay, he NEVER gave his card out EVER before he stayed. Nowhere. Ever. What if he didn't like it, if we were going to insist on payment in advance guests should be warned about this breach of service, ad infinitum.
DH offered to reverse the charges and he could be on his way. Told him we don't want unhappy guests. He actually looked up his confirmation on our guest computer, saw the info in there and shut up. For the rest of the stay. Peace and quiet..
Madeleine said:
He actually looked up his confirmation on our guest computer, saw the info in there and shut up. For the rest of the stay. Peace and quiet.
Whew! Thanks for mentioning this! After taking the 1st night's rate as a deposit at reservation time, I collect the balance when they arrive. It's in my policies but I don't think it's in the confirmation. I'll get it added, just in case!
How does this sound?
Any balance due on your reservation will be charged to your credit card shortly after you arrive, unless other arrangements have been made in advance.

Here is something, when I go to a hotel/B&B and there are only TWO cups/glasses in the guest room/bathroom. I need one for my toothbrush and one for drinking. But there are two of us. Now one night is not a big deal, but if I am there for a few days, I would like a cup for each of us and a spare, at least one.
I know I am not the only one as many of our guests have their toothbrushes in a cup.
PS If you need some gospel-ish bluegrass to listen to while reading the forum, this group is playing here in March, Dailey & Vincent. Listen to them here. Your love is like a flower...
Anyone wanting to stay with us from the forum, you know you are more than welcome!.
We have toothbrush holders. I chose carefully ones where the brush and handle near the brush would not come into contact with the holder so the guest doesn't have sanitary concerns. Some people still use a glass for their toothbrushes, but we also have wine glasses and water sports bottles to drink out of.
Breakfast Diva said:
We have toothbrush holders.
I always open a wash cloth and lay my toothbrush, toothpaste, and razor on it.

DH offered to reverse the charges and he could be on his way. Told him we don't want unhappy guests. He actually looked up his confirmation on our guest computer, saw the info in there and shut up. For the rest of the stay. Peace and quiet..
Madeleine said:
He actually looked up his confirmation on our guest computer, saw the info in there and shut up. For the rest of the stay. Peace and quiet.
Whew! Thanks for mentioning this! After taking the 1st night's rate as a deposit at reservation time, I collect the balance when they arrive. It's in my policies but I don't think it's in the confirmation. I'll get it added, just in case!
How does this sound?
Any balance due on your reservation will be charged to your credit card shortly after you arrive, unless other arrangements have been made in advance.
Sounds good. Do you ever see your guests? What if the card is no good?

Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Lots of guests do this. I just throw everything back in my bag.

Madeleine said:
How does this sound?
Madeleine said:
Do you ever see your guests?
Sometimes, but generally not. Even if I'm there, I don't go seeking them out to introduce myself. I leave them alone.
Madeleine said:
What if the card is no good?
Has never happened, but if the card didn't work I'd drive down there (2 miles) and talk to them. No pay, no stay. Now go away!

Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
[/quote]
I do too. I have a vinyl coated pouch that came in my toiletries bag (a gift of one of my Kel ly employers when the job ended) and anything that could spill, drip, or leak goes in that pouch. Eliminates picking up something I do not want and forgetting to take it with me. Also takes up less space on the surface so the roommate can spread out. (City trips usually share room with City Manager and she needs space!)

Madeleine said:
How does this sound?
Madeleine said:
Sometimes, but generally not. Even if I'm there, I don't go seeking them out to introduce myself. I leave them alone.
Madeleine said:
Has never happened, but if the card didn't work I'd drive down there (2 miles) and talk to them. No pay, no stay. Now go away!
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
2 years ago when I started taking deposits we took them 1 week prior to arrival, after the cancellation period kicked in. I had a ton of cards that were no good. Also had a few that were not good for guests who never showed up or who left early after checking in late.
That's why I asked. I'm never sure a card that was good for the deposit will be good 6 months later.

All in all we can generally handle most anything. But it's always the August guests with attitude who end up making life miserable.
At least one every year.
Which is why I am scheduling vacation time in August this year!

Back