Annual Holiday Inn Tour

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you get a lot of excitement and participation from B&Bs/Inns when these types of tours are done to raise money for local non-profits. I used to always go on a tour with a van full of friends when I lived in MD. They raised money for hospice. Lots of crowds and the inns went all out for the tour.

I think you get a lot of excitement and participation from B&Bs/Inns when these types of tours are done to raise money for local non-profits. I used to always go on a tour with a van full of friends when I lived in MD. They raised money for hospice. Lots of crowds and the inns went all out for the tour..
This particular tour is a fund raiser for the High School DECA club. The kids each get stationed at one of the houses and have to greet and help. They will even help with decorations if asked.

DH went to the innkeepers' group meeting yesterday. Apparently the inn tour got a great deal of negative feedback.
Mostly because many of the places weren't really decorated. Just a tree. I was also surprised by that. If you book your house on a Christmas stroll tour, don't you decorate the heck out of it? Also, people were surprised that some inns had baked and canned goods for sale. Suggestion was made that the inn have a large sign saying that proceeds go to the fund raiser. Last bad review was that the signs identifying the homes were hard to find. I had to agree with that one as well.
Next year, DH is the innkeepers' liaison with the school on this fundraiser. We will do more to make sure the participants understand what is expected of them..
One of our houses (where we live) was on the Christmas tour here when we were open as a B&B. I did it up really BIG with lots of floral decorations. We have 7 mantels and they were all decorated with fresh cut seasonal greens and had stockings hung. Had professional centerpieces for the dining room table (as opposed to my usual creations for guests...haha!) Poinsettias everywhere. All 3 porches were decorated with cut greenery and ribbons, etc.
The table was set very fancy for the holidays with holiday china and linens, Christmas poppers, and place cards.
We had punch and treats on the buffet in the dining room (although it was not required).
It was a ton of work but I had fun with it and wanted to really show off this house and all the work that we've done on it! :) People paid to go on the tour and it was a big fundraiser for a non-profit.
Sounds beautiful!!
If I do it next year, I will set the table with the good china and crystal. Only one place did and it was very memorable.

I think you get a lot of excitement and participation from B&Bs/Inns when these types of tours are done to raise money for local non-profits. I used to always go on a tour with a van full of friends when I lived in MD. They raised money for hospice. Lots of crowds and the inns went all out for the tour..
This particular tour is a fund raiser for the High School DECA club. The kids each get stationed at one of the houses and have to greet and help. They will even help with decorations if asked.
thumbs_up.gif

DH went to the innkeepers' group meeting yesterday. Apparently the inn tour got a great deal of negative feedback.
Mostly because many of the places weren't really decorated. Just a tree. I was also surprised by that. If you book your house on a Christmas stroll tour, don't you decorate the heck out of it? Also, people were surprised that some inns had baked and canned goods for sale. Suggestion was made that the inn have a large sign saying that proceeds go to the fund raiser. Last bad review was that the signs identifying the homes were hard to find. I had to agree with that one as well.
Next year, DH is the innkeepers' liaison with the school on this fundraiser. We will do more to make sure the participants understand what is expected of them..
One of our houses (where we live) was on the Christmas tour here when we were open as a B&B. I did it up really BIG with lots of floral decorations. We have 7 mantels and they were all decorated with fresh cut seasonal greens and had stockings hung. Had professional centerpieces for the dining room table (as opposed to my usual creations for guests...haha!) Poinsettias everywhere. All 3 porches were decorated with cut greenery and ribbons, etc.
The table was set very fancy for the holidays with holiday china and linens, Christmas poppers, and place cards.
We had punch and treats on the buffet in the dining room (although it was not required).
It was a ton of work but I had fun with it and wanted to really show off this house and all the work that we've done on it! :) People paid to go on the tour and it was a big fundraiser for a non-profit.
Sounds beautiful!!
If I do it next year, I will set the table with the good china and crystal. Only one place did and it was very memorable.
I had one place setting for our house tour. I did not do much decorating because I did not expect many to come (and I was right).

Back