another guest calls us unfriendly

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spoke to DH. As I suspected, these are the ones that left their family photos in our living room several times and I straightened them and put them in a corner. They are also the ones that left the wet, used (borrow from us) beach towels on the dining room table.
They played board games in the living room (which we love) but after 9, DH had to remind them that we had other guests and could they be aware of them.
they also had an extra person in a two person room and we set up the air mattress for them.
AND - I spoke with them frequently, so not sure about being cold and unfriendly. I bet they got the vibe when I was always cleaning up their plastic boxes of pictures left out making my living room look like a storage room..
So you could mention in your response that you are not exactly sure but you think the comment MAY have been because you had to keep cleaning up after them as they left all their personal belongings in the common space, including wet beach towels on the dining room table and private photos on the coffee table, so other guests felt they were intruding.
rather, the first thing to do is to contact them, and see "if you can make it right in some way." Even an apology or small adjustment.
It is far better to get the negative comment removed then to try and respond to it. It is still calculated in your overall star rating and can have a significant impact on your future business.
undersea said:
rather, the first thing to do is to contact them, and see "if you can make it right in some way." Even an apology or small adjustment.
It is far better to get the negative comment removed then to try and respond to it. It is still calculated in your overall star rating and can have a significant impact on your future business.
honestly, this type, I don't mind if they don't come back. no apology from me.
It has to do with whether or not the negative review remains. There is a whole business process when dealing with negative reviews.
First, trying to reach out to understand/negotiate with the reviewer about the perceived issue. Many times, it is a simple adjustment. Doesn't matter if you did nothing wrong, it is about the reviewer feeling like you made an attempt.
Second, if they are unwilling to change, is a good/honest response from your POV.
Third, if the review is totally inappropriate or faked, is trying to get the review site to take it down.
But each has to decide what they are willing to do.
But the impact on future stays based on negative reviews for someone with only a modest # of reviews can be HUGE. There is an enormous number of people who use online review sites (Y elp, TA, etc.) to decide which business to frequent. 1 or 2 negative reviews often make them go somewhere else.
undersea said:
But the impact on future stays based on negative reviews for someone with only a modest # of reviews can be HUGE. There is an enormous number of people who use online review sites (Y elp, TA, etc.) to decide which business to frequent. 1 or 2 negative reviews often make them go somewhere else.
This is why your response is critical. We have two startlingly bad reviews. Guests often laugh at them. Sure, I bet the folks who would behave as the reviewers did don't stay with us, but who wants them? The one TA review was totally my fault. I own that review. But make nice with someone who kicked me when I was down? Not a chance. I apologized several times in person. They still chose to go online and bash our business.
You know what makes another difference? PAYING TA and Yelp. THAT moves your listing up. Unfortunately, now that that has become blatantly obvious to us, we're going to have to fork over the thousand dollars to move up the list. Altho, someone here negotiated the rate so I'm going to try that first.
Morticia said:
You know what makes another difference? PAYING TA and Yelp. THAT moves your listing up. Unfortunately, now that that has become blatantly obvious to us, we're going to have to fork over the thousand dollars to move up the list. Altho, someone here negotiated the rate so I'm going to try that first.
Sad! How did you figure this out?

Spoke to DH. As I suspected, these are the ones that left their family photos in our living room several times and I straightened them and put them in a corner. They are also the ones that left the wet, used (borrow from us) beach towels on the dining room table.
They played board games in the living room (which we love) but after 9, DH had to remind them that we had other guests and could they be aware of them.
they also had an extra person in a two person room and we set up the air mattress for them.
AND - I spoke with them frequently, so not sure about being cold and unfriendly. I bet they got the vibe when I was always cleaning up their plastic boxes of pictures left out making my living room look like a storage room..
So you could mention in your response that you are not exactly sure but you think the comment MAY have been because you had to keep cleaning up after them as they left all their personal belongings in the common space, including wet beach towels on the dining room table and private photos on the coffee table, so other guests felt they were intruding.
undersea said:
It has to do with whether or not the negative review remains. There is a whole business process when dealing with negative reviews.
First, trying to reach out to understand/negotiate with the reviewer about the perceived issue. Many times, it is a simple adjustment. Doesn't matter if you did nothing wrong, it is about the reviewer feeling like you made an attempt.
Second, if they are unwilling to change, is a good/honest response from your POV.
Third, if the review is totally inappropriate or faked, is trying to get the review site to take it down.
undersea said:
This is why your response is critical. We have two startlingly bad reviews. Guests often laugh at them. Sure, I bet the folks who would behave as the reviewers did don't stay with us, but who wants them? The one TA review was totally my fault. I own that review. But make nice with someone who kicked me when I was down? Not a chance. I apologized several times in person. They still chose to go online and bash our business.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Places with great, recent reviews below places with not so hot reviews. Difference? Not so hot has a biz listing.

undersea said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Places with great, recent reviews below places with not so hot reviews. Difference? Not so hot has a biz listing.
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Yes it does create that thought. But I have been reminded here that it also has to do with the # of reviews, etc. But would not doubt it being part of the PAID community may be part of the algorithm.

My response.
Thank you for your review. Thank you for mentioning the amenities we offer including a refrigerator in every room and a Keurig coffee machine and microwave in the sun room along with welcome cookies every afternoon in the living room. We strive to make our home comfortable and welcoming. With regard to chatting with you, your group was having such a good time playing board games and laughing together in our living room, we hesitated to intrude on your fun! We love sharing our home with our guests, so it was a great pleasure for us to know you felt so at home and were having a great family vacation here.
Nicely done.
Morticia said:
Nicely done.
thanks. the more I think about it the more po'd I get. they totally took over the place. we talked a lot! I didn't tell them where to go in town because they were here for a wedding.
Beachie, they couldn't ding you on any other details so they did it on the subjective evaluation of your friendliness. Some people just have to find something to complain about and it doesn't really make any difference if it is true or just perceived because you did one little thing they didn't like.
I remember one guest who dinged us on service...after I spent 2 days printing her e-mails and providing her with stapler and pens and pencils so she could work. Like you, we are a beach destination that is not really set up for business guests needs. I even loaned her one of my jackets so she could go Kayaking in comfort. Who knows what I did that ticked her off?
Your response is polite and speaks to the experience she had. The reader will surely see that she is being a jerk about your friendliness, especially in light of your other great reviews.

undersea said:
undersea said:
I am with you, Mort. It will be a cold day in Hell when I apologize to someone who takes advantage of my hospitality and then gives me a bad review. (And I am NOT referring to Hell, WY.)

You are a saint Ms Beach. I would have mentioned Ms Mort"s above. Grrrr, I so feel your frustration. Sometimes though it's good to call inconsiderate folks inconsiderately oblivious . Looks like Mort was lucky cause they went to her competitors next!

My response.
Thank you for your review. Thank you for mentioning the amenities we offer including a refrigerator in every room and a Keurig coffee machine and microwave in the sun room along with welcome cookies every afternoon in the living room. We strive to make our home comfortable and welcoming. With regard to chatting with you, your group was having such a good time playing board games and laughing together in our living room, we hesitated to intrude on your fun! We love sharing our home with our guests, so it was a great pleasure for us to know you felt so at home and were having a great family vacation here.
Not a good response - a GREAT response

Laughing. New review today titled, "Very Friendly Innkeepers."
Obviously directly in response to yesterday's review titled, "Don't expect a warm welcome."
I know exactly who wrote it and I love them for it!
The first night they were there, they invited us to join them for cocktails and we did. As did another couple. Had a lovely night.

My response.
TheBeachHouse said:
My response.
This is the perfect response. I know how difficult it is to swallow what you really want to say. You took the high road. Brava!
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
My response.
This is the perfect response. I know how difficult it is to swallow what you really want to say. You took the high road. Brava!
Yeah, and I deleted the part that said, your rooms were a disaster and you didn't even leave a tip!
Not to even mention that we accommodated your friends who showed up with three people for a two person room so we ran down to the basement and got the air mattress and blew it up and made it at 5 o'clock PM!!!
TheBeachHouse said:
Breakfast Diva said:
TheBeachHouse said:
My response.
Yeah, and I deleted the part that said, your rooms were a disaster and you didn't even leave a tip!
Not to even mention that we accommodated your friends who showed up with three people for a two person room so we ran down to the basement and got the air mattress and blew it up and made it at 5 o'clock PM!!!
As with all of these things your response needs to be in context of your other reviews, if you have two and this is one of them you need to be a lot more diplomatic than if you have 100 excellent and this one.
Contacting the guest direct for me is a total no-no. They've given you a public slap and in my book sound like they deserve one back.

My response.
Great response!

We have been demoted to #3 of 7 hotels in our town. I can live with that..
Top three is the place to be! You'll no doubt bounce back higher in due course.
heart.gif

We might get this...if I have to ask the folks with the toddler to stop letting her run all over the house yelling. Parent very nicely took baby from their room so spouse could 'sleep in' and let the kid run all over the house, upstairs, downstairs in her nightgown yelling and carrying on.
So nice for spouse to sleep in, how about everyone else???

I once had a guest bring her 6 year old daughter up into the cupola so she could 'sleep under the stars'. There was barely room to walk around up there and it was totally against fire and code regulations.Mom slept on the stairs apparently. Twisty, narrow ridiculous stairs to the cupola. You had to go up through the attic to get there. The dimpled darling had her heart set on it. If I'd found them up there I would have been the meanest old innkeeper around! My face said it all when I heard what they'd done. Proud of flaunting the posted rules about safety up there.
When I heard that, I put a padlock on the access to the attic and opened it during specific hours or by request. Ridiculous!

I once had a guest bring her 6 year old daughter up into the cupola so she could 'sleep under the stars'. There was barely room to walk around up there and it was totally against fire and code regulations.Mom slept on the stairs apparently. Twisty, narrow ridiculous stairs to the cupola. You had to go up through the attic to get there. The dimpled darling had her heart set on it. If I'd found them up there I would have been the meanest old innkeeper around! My face said it all when I heard what they'd done. Proud of flaunting the posted rules about safety up there.
When I heard that, I put a padlock on the access to the attic and opened it during specific hours or by request. Ridiculous!.
Agree. I think a lot of problems would go away if owners would lock areas that guests should not go in. Assuming no one ever will is the bigger problem, IMO. People in other houses always push the boundaries. Not sure they should be labeled as inappropriate. I think it is incumbent upon a business to take every reasonable precaution to prevent egress where not appropriate, and for safety and their business processes.

Back