Answering the phone

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last line says it all -
If you won't talk to me, I'll find someone who will. (Of course if you're the only game in town you can ignore this message. They'll call back or leave their info.)
I'm old and I hate voice prompts. I hate callbacks. I'm calling now because now is when I can talk to you.
Of course I don't answer the phone 24x7. I need to sleep. Plus, it's a bit of an old saw that nothing good comes of late night calls.
But if I can answer the phone I do.
We both fell asleep in our respective chairs today. Doorbell rang, phone rang. In 5 minutes we were full with the caller waiting to see which rooms the walk-ins took.
I know it's kind of the way things are done to ignore what a certain segment of the market wants, I do it all the time, but the phone thing might not be the place to cut corners. Unless it's midnight..
Morticia said:
The last line says it all -
If you won't talk to me, I'll find someone who will. (Of course if you're the only game in town you can ignore this message. They'll call back or leave their info.)
Agreed! Or unless you are as busy as you want to be. (to coin K) And in that case let'em call someone else.
For me, I answer the phone from the time my eyes open until 9pm, and hang up on the 80+% that are sales calls!
cry_smile.gif

thumbs_up.gif
Yes, most essential in the hospitality biz... not answering the phone does not signal hospitality mentality... she who snoozes loses. Cheers to success!
Momma Smurf said:
thumbs_up.gif
Yes, most essential in the hospitality biz... not answering the phone does not signal hospitality mentality... she who snoozes loses. Cheers to success!
yep. My motto too. I want to talk to peeps who want to talk to me. I like getting a feel for who I am dealing with myself

I take phone and ipad with me almost everywhere. The house phone is forwarded to my iphone. I can punch up the reservation system on the ipad easily. I know that if I don't get an answer right away sometimes I move on too. Depends on time crunches..
Anon Inn said:
I take phone and ipad with me almost everywhere. The house phone is forwarded to my iphone. I can punch up the reservation system on the ipad easily. I know that if I don't get an answer right away sometimes I move on too. Depends on time crunches.
yep, I take calls on the road (in parking lots ;) , with rezkey, it's no problem. I love it

I take phone and ipad with me almost everywhere. The house phone is forwarded to my iphone. I can punch up the reservation system on the ipad easily. I know that if I don't get an answer right away sometimes I move on too. Depends on time crunches..
Anon Inn said:
I take phone and ipad with me almost everywhere. The house phone is forwarded to my iphone. I can punch up the reservation system on the ipad easily. I know that if I don't get an answer right away sometimes I move on too. Depends on time crunches.
yep, I take calls on the road (in parking lots ;) , with rezkey, it's no problem. I love it
Iris said:
I'm amazed at how easily I can manage ResKey from my iPhone. It's easier on a "real" computer, of course, but you can get the job done quite well from the phone when needed. I love the 21st Century!

Anon Inn said:
Iris said:
I'm amazed at how easily I can manage ResKey from my iPhone. It's easier on a "real" computer, of course, but you can get the job done quite well from the phone when needed. I love the 21st Century!
Arks said:
Iris said:
thumbs_up.gif

Anon Inn said:
Iris said:
Arks said:
Iris said:
yes, put the guest on speaker, tell them where I am, so that they don't think I am loopy, and take the ressie. I love the 21st century as much or more, LOL

My most recent calls have been from a progressively grumpier rep from one of those review sites who finally gave up today and said she guessed I didn't need anymore business.

My most recent calls have been from a progressively grumpier rep from one of those review sites who finally gave up today and said she guessed I didn't need anymore business..
Morticia said:
...finally gave up today and said she guessed I didn't need anymore business.
Have you ever been on one of those websites that have a pop-up offering to help you make more money, and your only choices to get rid of the pop-up and continue to the article are to click "sell me this now" or "no thanks, I don't want to make more money".
Never fails to make me mad.

My most recent calls have been from a progressively grumpier rep from one of those review sites who finally gave up today and said she guessed I didn't need anymore business..
Morticia said:
...finally gave up today and said she guessed I didn't need anymore business.
Have you ever been on one of those websites that have a pop-up offering to help you make more money, and your only choices to get rid of the pop-up and continue to the article are to click "sell me this now" or "no thanks, I don't want to make more money".
Never fails to make me mad.
Like the people who used to call to loan me money. They would start the spiel and I'd say I was quite comfortably well off and didn't need any money. That always got silence.

Yesterday I had the loopiest telemarketer. She sounded all of 18 and acted that way too.
I quite possibly was her first call. Not sure if this was my luckiest day or hers
wink_smile.gif
Was from my cable company and originally thought they had something they needed to share.
No, wanted to see about saving me money with a bundle. She started her spiel and stopped at the end of the sentence. Silence then 'hello'. I said 'I'm still here'
Oh! You were suppose to say Great or something like that. I stayed silent.
She said another sentence or two then stopped. Silence then 'are you still there?'
I said yes. She said you were suppose to say ..... then said to whom ever 'this is just not helping at all'
She then asked how many TV's we had in our home. I said it really doesn't matter, I don't need your cable service. I have what I need. She started giggling
She then said to whom ever 'I don't know what to say now' and back to giggling even more.
I said 'I bet this is your first day. I will give you a hint as to what to say now: Thank you, and have a nice day'
I wonder how long she will keep this job.

Yesterday I had the loopiest telemarketer. She sounded all of 18 and acted that way too.
I quite possibly was her first call. Not sure if this was my luckiest day or hers
wink_smile.gif
Was from my cable company and originally thought they had something they needed to share.
No, wanted to see about saving me money with a bundle. She started her spiel and stopped at the end of the sentence. Silence then 'hello'. I said 'I'm still here'
She said another sentence or two then stopped. Silence then 'are you still there?'
I said yes. She said you were suppose to say ..... then said to whom ever 'this is just not helping at all'
She then asked how many TV's we had in our home. I said it really doesn't matter, I don't need your cable service. I have what I need. She started giggling
She then said to whom ever 'I don't know what to say now' and back to giggling even more.
I said 'I bet this is your first day. I will give you a hint as to what to say now: Thank you, and have a nice day'
I would just HANG Up...and not bother listening once I knew it wasn't anything that concerned me.

wink_smile.gif
That is too funny!

wink_smile.gif
I would just HANG Up...and not bother listening once I knew it wasn't anything that concerned me.
But then you would have missed the fun of hearing that spiel.

Back