Ant update to Kickoff weekend to season, Full house and ANTS!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guests went out to dinner so I went in the room... Found 5 more ants and did away with them.. At least it's 5 less they'll see. I hope their night goes well!

I know exactly how you feel Over the course of ten days, I had to shut down a room for 4, move several guests and then a couple of days the room wasn't rented. Had exterminator in twice and I'm still holding my breath. Last guests in there two days ago said all was well and I had not seen any since. Little 'sugar' ants, or as my exterminator calls them, 'odorous house ants'. Fortunately, they don't bite, sting or carry disease, but they are creepy. For several days, they seemed to be falling from the ceiling!! I was almost at my wits' end!
We have stink bugs, too and the only people who seem to be bothered by them are the 212-ers. Show them a cockroach or a rat and they're cool with that; but the stink bugs seem to totally freak them out!
I'v lost more room nights to stink bugs than any other one thing. Hey, it's farm country!

Made it through the night. Ended up moving guests to a luxury room UPSTAIRS so they are happy happy happy.. In the mean time in another room I saw a couple of ants and decided not to tell the guests checking in. I'll play dumb if they say something in the morning. Only us on this site can understand how such a small creature can cause such STRESS!! Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Made it through the night. Ended up moving guests to a luxury room UPSTAIRS so they are happy happy happy.. In the mean time in another room I saw a couple of ants and decided not to tell the guests checking in. I'll play dumb if they say something in the morning. Only us on this site can understand how such a small creature can cause such STRESS!! Hope everyone is having a good weekend..
I said it before and I'll say it again... "diatomaceous earth". It's perfectly safe to use, a white powder, you can sweep it under the mouldings. It will take care of the ants quickly.
You can get it almost anywhere, HD and Lowes will have it. See http://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-indoor-ant-repellent/

Made it through the night. Ended up moving guests to a luxury room UPSTAIRS so they are happy happy happy.. In the mean time in another room I saw a couple of ants and decided not to tell the guests checking in. I'll play dumb if they say something in the morning. Only us on this site can understand how such a small creature can cause such STRESS!! Hope everyone is having a good weekend..
I said it before and I'll say it again... "diatomaceous earth". It's perfectly safe to use, a white powder, you can sweep it under the mouldings. It will take care of the ants quickly.
You can get it almost anywhere, HD and Lowes will have it. See http://www.diatomaceousearth.com/natural-indoor-ant-repellent/
Jon Sable said:
We use it to keep the mites away from our chickens. Very safe except when you are spreading it. The dust is not good for your lungs so cover you nose and mouth when putting it in place.

Jon Sable said:
We use it to keep the mites away from our chickens. Very safe except when you are spreading it. The dust is not good for your lungs so cover you nose and mouth when putting it in place.
For household use it usually comes in a bottle with a nipple end, you put it at a 45 degree angle and push a bit out at a time. But it clears up ant problems really quick.

The only thing that handles bed bugs easily

Picking some DE up this morning. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for the info.

Picking some DE up this morning. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks so much for the info.
I bought a big bag of that stuff today at the nursery. We are a bit far away from big box stores. I don't think it's "food grade" but the label says that it can be spread around the sink and behind the stove, etc. I am going to sprinkle that stuff all around the perimeter of the cottages. Hopefully they will all get the ax.

I love peonies, but they have to be planted far from the house because they are pollinated by ants, which then flood the house if they're too close. I put used coffee grounds and well-crunched egg shells against the foundation of my house to deter ants and other creepies. I buy diatomaceous earth by the 20 lb bagful to keep fleas off my Goldens and mites off my chickens. It's very good mixed into feed, as well, to curb internal parasites.

I love peonies, but they have to be planted far from the house because they are pollinated by ants, which then flood the house if they're too close. I put used coffee grounds and well-crunched egg shells against the foundation of my house to deter ants and other creepies. I buy diatomaceous earth by the 20 lb bagful to keep fleas off my Goldens and mites off my chickens. It's very good mixed into feed, as well, to curb internal parasites..
Smile4Susan said:
I love peonies, but they have to be planted far from the house because they are pollinated by ants, which then flood the house if they're too close. I put used coffee grounds and well-crunched egg shells against the foundation of my house to deter ants and other creepies. I buy diatomaceous earth by the 20 lb bagful to keep fleas off my Goldens and mites off my chickens. It's very good mixed into feed, as well, to curb internal parasites.
Interesting. I need to give it to my chickens then as well. Thanks for the tip

Well, mosquitoes was rather not a big problem than bed bugs and termites. This problem can be solved by hiring the best Pest Control Chappaqua NY team which offers services to control pests and bugs around the homes and other places.

Those were the last two, fleeing for their lives!.
Duff2014 said:
Those were the last two, fleeing for their lives!
heehee
grrrrrrrr, I hate when such little critters cause us to stress.
Go have that drink. I am sure the guests won't mind a couple of ants.
Give the guests a drink, maybe they won't care so much.
In the country, you get critters.

I am not sure how people can complain about a few ants in the first place. don't tell me they don't have anywhere they live.
We are located in the middle of nowhere, meaning woods, water, open spaces, meadows, etc. THERE ARE ANTS who live here. Of course if there are armies of ants, then there's something for the exterminator to work on

I am not sure how people can complain about a few ants in the first place. don't tell me they don't have anywhere they live.
We are located in the middle of nowhere, meaning woods, water, open spaces, meadows, etc. THERE ARE ANTS who live here. Of course if there are armies of ants, then there's something for the exterminator to work on.
Just for fun, I looked up how insects are estimated in the world. I saw 10 quintillion. There are about 7 billion people. So doing the math, that is about a billion insects per person.
So, I guess you can expect to see one from time to time
teeth_smile.gif

We are located in the middle of nowhere, meaning woods, water, open spaces, meadows, etc. THERE ARE ANTS who live here. Of course if there are armies of ants, then there's something for the exterminator to work on.
Just for fun, I looked up how insects are estimated in the world. I saw 10 quintillion. There are about 7 billion people. So doing the math, that is about a billion insects per person.
teeth_smile.gif

undersea said:
teeth_smile.gif
exactly. And those who make them out to be a creepy pest are not very nice. Now if there were four-legged things running around, I could understand not being happy ;)

As I stood talking to guests during breakfast an unknown kind of insect raced around on the wall behind them. I know one of them saw it. I just wanted to reach over and pick up the insect with a napkin but I think that might have been worse. But it bugged me. ;-)
Then there was the moth that flitted here and there.

I just had a shrew (no, not me) squeeze under a guest room door and make itself at home. DH caught it this morning. Welcome to the country!

I just had a shrew (no, not me) squeeze under a guest room door and make itself at home. DH caught it this morning. Welcome to the country!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I just had a shrew (no, not me) squeeze under a guest room door and make itself at home. DH caught it this morning. Welcome to the country!
Ha, ha!
Our room with the exterior door gets mice, huge bumble bees, crickets, etc. Anything that can wander in when you leave the door open.

As I stood talking to guests during breakfast an unknown kind of insect raced around on the wall behind them. I know one of them saw it. I just wanted to reach over and pick up the insect with a napkin but I think that might have been worse. But it bugged me. ;-)
Then there was the moth that flitted here and there..
I hate when we get a wasp tying to commit suicide in the dining room light fixture during breakfast.

Back