Association of Independent Hospitality Professionals

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
Good for you Gillum. I'm not ready to let go of a $200 donation at this point, but will certainly follow their progress and consider it down the line.

Good for you Gillum. I'm not ready to let go of a $200 donation at this point, but will certainly follow their progress and consider it down the line..
Pledge week at my workplace, so a bit more vulnerable to asks than usual. I do wish they had posted more biographical and organizational info on the budding site. More info leads to more confidence. The sign up process is a bit clunky too. But that is what seed $ is all about. They were wise to add a staff person right off the bat. If they are a true working board and mgmt team, they will ALL be working their tails off. Just wish they were closer to our neck of the woods.

I signed up for the newsletter. This is very relevant to future plans in our area along these lines. IMuneducatedunresearchedHO, chapters would be a way to get local participation that rolls into a national or world wide organization.

Not sure they will be any more effective than PAII. Or state associations, or regional associations. The concept that these or other associations "advocate" for their members never seems to bring much real benefit, that I have visibly seen. And if they actually manage to have involvement in even a small benefit, they will trumpet it loudly.
Will TripAdvisor change their fee if any association intervenes, seriously? Will the fire/safety folks reduce zoning/code requirements? There is a term "slacktivism" - surveys go viral seeking people to "take a stand", benefits, etc. where it feels good and it can have a broad appeal, but the final result is none to minimal.
Personally, I was a member of Chamber of Commerce (rural - twice) for past businesses. I had two views of it - I never had a single traceable customer even though I was active - but meeting other business owners was nice. Secondly, they seemed to exist to perpetuate itself - benefits, annual meetings, etc.

Not sure they will be any more effective than PAII. Or state associations, or regional associations. The concept that these or other associations "advocate" for their members never seems to bring much real benefit, that I have visibly seen. And if they actually manage to have involvement in even a small benefit, they will trumpet it loudly.
Will TripAdvisor change their fee if any association intervenes, seriously? Will the fire/safety folks reduce zoning/code requirements? There is a term "slacktivism" - surveys go viral seeking people to "take a stand", benefits, etc. where it feels good and it can have a broad appeal, but the final result is none to minimal.
Personally, I was a member of Chamber of Commerce (rural - twice) for past businesses. I had two views of it - I never had a single traceable customer even though I was active - but meeting other business owners was nice. Secondly, they seemed to exist to perpetuate itself - benefits, annual meetings, etc..
HOw do you know how effective Paii has been? You aren't an innkeeper yet. There were years when they were QUITE EFFECTIVE for innkeepers.

Personally, I was a member of Chamber of Commerce (rural - twice) for past businesses. I had two views of it - I never had a single traceable customer even though I was active - but meeting other business owners was nice. Secondly, they seemed to exist to perpetuate itself - benefits, annual meetings, etc..
I certainly do see some of what you are saying. However, an organization that is large enough can make a tangible difference in the thought process of bigger companies. Let's say you have several thousand members who value your voice and some reliable leadership. That at least can get you a seat at the table.
Where I think you are totally correct is when you talk about organizations that are self-perpetuating and do not actually provide any real benefits. This new association will need to find a mechanism that will be a tangible benefit for their members. Being an advocate and providing a forum just won't cut it.

HOw do you know how effective Paii has been? You aren't an innkeeper yet. There were years when they were QUITE EFFECTIVE for innkeepers.
PAII was not being singled out. The original post presented this new organization as some sort of replacement for PAII.

PAII was very effective under different management. Only with a large association is there even a possibility of having a voice in the hospitality/travel industry. PAII made some very impressive changes to TA in the past and had been included in on national travel boards. It's very sad what's happened to that association. I'm hoping for the best with this new endeavor. Only time will tell. A national association will definitely have more clout than a state or regional one.

PAII was very effective under different management. Only with a large association is there even a possibility of having a voice in the hospitality/travel industry. PAII made some very impressive changes to TA in the past and had been included in on national travel boards. It's very sad what's happened to that association. I'm hoping for the best with this new endeavor. Only time will tell. A national association will definitely have more clout than a state or regional one.
Agreed- Large National, although my head tells me there would be a better chance of getting the numbers up by getting buy in from local chapters. Sort of how the Girl Scouts do it?

I am going to get snarky. YES, I said SNARKY. You are not an innkeeper. You have NO history of what is or is not with the industry yet pontificate as if you know all.
State organizations DO work for the members - and the more members get involved, the better they work for you. MY State Assoc got legislation that was needed PASSED. We advocate and market for the members - and mentor.
PAII in the past WAS an educational source and then with a wonderful advocate the B & B industry DID get a seat at the table. It went off the rails a bit and lost a LOT of us with it. It was a FOR PROFIT that was not making a profit.
This new organization is a non-profit and I for one am willing to toss a few dollars into the pot to see if it will fly. And I am NOT known for throwing money I do not have around.

I am going to get snarky. YES, I said SNARKY. You are not an innkeeper. You have NO history of what is or is not with the industry yet pontificate as if you know all.
State organizations DO work for the members - and the more members get involved, the better they work for you. MY State Assoc got legislation that was needed PASSED. We advocate and market for the members - and mentor.
PAII in the past WAS an educational source and then with a wonderful advocate the B & B industry DID get a seat at the table. It went off the rails a bit and lost a LOT of us with it. It was a FOR PROFIT that was not making a profit.
This new organization is a non-profit and I for one am willing to toss a few dollars into the pot to see if it will fly. And I am NOT known for throwing money I do not have around.
You are free to do so. New organizations rarely succeed. The looking down the nose and judgmental attitude will be ignored.
Little what you said about my post is accurate, and there is nothing i said I regret. I am not into trying to suppress the opinion of others I do not agree with. You should chill.
Snarky is another word for negativity

I am hopeful that they will be the association for ALL of us and not just the distinctive class. Jay had tried to be inclusive, he was taking great strides to make it an org for all.

Personally I need more info before I let them see the green. They need to provide their vision of what this new org will be about. Maybe they are afraid to do so because some will not agree. Heck, no one will agree with every aspect but that is fine too.
While I am glad they are set up as a non-profit. that really doesn't mean what we all think. Just take a look at one of largest non-profits in this country - the NFL.
While many states do have a proactive and productive state org, sadly that is not the case with mine. The few that are active members rotate the board seats and consequently no new ideas make it on the table. New comers are greeted with open arms until they start speaking up.
I will keep an open eye and open mind on this one to see where it is headed, and hope it is headed in a forward path.

duplicate; deleted

I am hopeful that they will be the association for ALL of us and not just the distinctive class. Jay had tried to be inclusive, he was taking great strides to make it an org for all.

Personally I need more info before I let them see the green. They need to provide their vision of what this new org will be about. Maybe they are afraid to do so because some will not agree. Heck, no one will agree with every aspect but that is fine too.
While I am glad they are set up as a non-profit. that really doesn't mean what we all think. Just take a look at one of largest non-profits in this country - the NFL.
While many states do have a proactive and productive state org, sadly that is not the case with mine. The few that are active members rotate the board seats and consequently no new ideas make it on the table. New comers are greeted with open arms until they start speaking up.
I will keep an open eye and open mind on this one to see where it is headed, and hope it is headed in a forward path..
I really do understand your position. I know though that it takes being willing to toss in the pot or it will not have a chance of succeeding. I felt it was worthy of tossing in $200 to see if it can make a go of it.
The WV Assoc was as you describe when I first got involved. However there were people WANTING to be officers and Board members - every office has at least 2 people vying for it. Now it is pulling teeth to get one person to take an office. And even though there was competition for the offices, the "Old Guard" held the reins tightly. By the time they let go, we no longer had the people who were interested - they had either left the Assoc or moved on (or died). I AM the "Old Guard" now and have stepped aside - have said in front of GOD and everybody that I am here if they have questions or need something, but it is THEIR Assoc to run. I did my turn and I am not going to be the piece of constipation I ran up against when I was new.

PAII was very effective when it had a CEO who was charismatic and energetic and was working full-time for the organization -- meeting with TripAdvisor, meeting with AirBnb, being a real advocate for the industry. However, those people don't come cheap and when you're paying leadership six figures and their vendor relationship people in excess of $50K then you have to have high dues to support that and all of the programs that their members want. This could be a great thing for the industry or it could just fragment the industry more -- some with stick with PAII which is now non-profit and others will join this one when it gets off the ground, but many aren't going to pay to start the organization because they won't be working on individual state rules/regulations which are the things that affect most of us directly. And companies like TA, Expedia, AirBnb have huge bills to pay and organizations to grow so there's only so much that will be done to curb them. Good luck, the new group looks great.

Back