B&B Critique

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to get rid of the rugs, BeachHouse. People will assume hundreds of bare feet have stood on them since the last washing, leading to a certain "ick" factor. People these days expect the washable bath mats like hotels use. Glad you have those available..
I have the 'fuzzy' rugs in the bathroom as well as the towel style bath mat which is folded over the tub. Some bathrooms have 2 such fuzzy rugs while others have one. Our tile floors get cold in the winter. We use the non skid bottom kind and I shy away from the others... The bathroom is the most dangerous room of the house [according to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention] with over 250k ER visits per yr [US] from injuries sustained while in the bathroom.
Personally when I am in a hotel and they only have those towel style bath mats, I am always wondering if I will become one of the statistics. And I certainly don't want one of our guests becoming one either.

We don't have rugs in the bath as we have the heated tiled flooring. But I have clean glass glasses in the bathroom. I don't like plastic and refuse to use it. They are clean and on ***gasp** doilies. The Association wants us to put them on doilies and I refuse to use the paper kinds.
Riki

We don't have rugs in the bath as we have the heated tiled flooring. But I have clean glass glasses in the bathroom. I don't like plastic and refuse to use it. They are clean and on ***gasp** doilies. The Association wants us to put them on doilies and I refuse to use the paper kinds.
Riki.
Do you wash them after each guests? I am sure you do :) Nothing wrong with the paper ones, you can get some nice ones.

I think the thing about glass in the bathroom is just a safety thing....worrying about cut feet if they break a glass and you don't get every single bit of broken glass up. Granted, it's not a frequent or insurmountable problem.
I go with disposable paper cups in a nice counter top dispenser and I think it looks acceptable.

I think the thing about glass in the bathroom is just a safety thing....worrying about cut feet if they break a glass and you don't get every single bit of broken glass up. Granted, it's not a frequent or insurmountable problem.
I go with disposable paper cups in a nice counter top dispenser and I think it looks acceptable..
Ours guests over the years have broken probably 100 glasses in their rooms. It's always wine glasses! We use real glasses in our bathroom sitting upside down on paper doilies. I can't remember a single bathroom glass that's been broken. What's the difference whether the glass is in the bedroom or the bathroom? They're barefoot in both areas.

We all know things we can do to make out properties better.
I do think that a property owner or manager should be given a chance to correct issues a guests might have. That said, the guest should speak up and let someone know there is an issue. An owner might look at a complaint or issue and never really noticed it before. Lime the nails in the wall. Or outlets not being available.
I was in a room today working and guys what. I found a nail in the wall that was not doing anything but looking like a nail in the wall.
Sometimes and hopefully I'm not the only one that is like this, but I get tunnel vision. Especially after 100+s days of working without a day off.
I really wish guests sometimes would be a little more compassionate about Innkeepers who will gladly fix or correct any issue that might arise. Give us a chance.
Now...if I ignore you and just say "Oh well!"
Than A review is in order.
Arkansawyer, thank you for posting this. I need to slow down and maybe look at myself and see what the guests might be seeing.
I know I found a nail....still bothering me. :).
Chipped paint in one room that I keep forgetting to fix. Must make guests think we don't care.
Someone just slammed into the door frame last week with a metal frame back pack and took a big chunk of paint off, haven't had time to fix that either.
It's times like these when I think of every little thing that needs doing that I get really stressed. If I did every little thing that is on my list I still wouldn't ever finish.
Stuff like this is what my friend, Rebecca, refers to as 'low hanging fruit'. So easy to address and remedy, yet if/when it isn't, people see it as a sign of the innkeeper not caring.
Your critique is very good. Maybe you should do a TA review. It doesn't appear that the owners are reading them anyway.
An innkeeper in our area responds to his negative reviews very defensively. The guy is a complete idiot, in my opinion (many other locals agree)...ah, but I digress. Anyway, his responses have probably done more to hurt him than the bad reviews have. For example, in one of his responses, he flat-out says that when the guests put the towels on the bathroom floor, he hangs them back up. See...I told you...the guy's an idiot.

I go with disposable paper cups in a nice counter top dispenser and I think it looks acceptable..
Ours guests over the years have broken probably 100 glasses in their rooms. It's always wine glasses! We use real glasses in our bathroom sitting upside down on paper doilies. I can't remember a single bathroom glass that's been broken. What's the difference whether the glass is in the bedroom or the bathroom? They're barefoot in both areas.
Breakfast Diva said:
That is so strange - we have sparkling wine in each room and wine glasses available, and glass water glasses, and small port glasses put in the rooms at night. We have had in 6 years possibly 3 wine glasses broken, no water glasses (they are pretty heavy) but probably 12 port glasses broken.
Riki

Riki.
Do you wash them after each guests? I am sure you do :) Nothing wrong with the paper ones, you can get some nice ones.
EmptyNest said:
Paper makes me think of a motel. Cheap. Just don't like them. I have gazillion lovely cloth ones and hand soak them clean. Doesn't take much time. I like to reuse the old rather than support wasting paper. Our garbage people still don't know why we have so little garbage for a B&B. But when DH drives to the recycle place he fills a 7 seater van.
RIki

I go by the "Do No Harm" theory as an Innkeeper-Guest. Mention these things as a courtesy to the innkeepers, vs trip advisor. We see much much more than a regular guest would see.

Back