Better room descriptions make happier guests? Hope so.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of note... if you have guests from Europe, the terms first floor etc don't mean the same thing. You may instead want to go with entry floor, 1st floor up, 2nd floor up instead. Because in Europe the entry floor is 0, so the next floor is the first floor..
Generic said:
Of note... if you have guests from Europe, the terms first floor etc don't mean the same thing. You may instead want to go with entry floor, 1st floor up, 2nd floor up instead. Because in Europe the entry floor is 0, so the next floor is the first floor.
Hmmmm. We do get quite a few people from Europe but probably more from US.
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Of note... if you have guests from Europe, the terms first floor etc don't mean the same thing. You may instead want to go with entry floor, 1st floor up, 2nd floor up instead. Because in Europe the entry floor is 0, so the next floor is the first floor.
Piggybacking on this - make sure your bathroom descriptions use the word bathroom, not bath, if you only have a shower.
We had a Brit get very upset because 'en suite bath' meant 'attached bath tub room'. I had to quickly change any abbreviated words. And move the guest to our detached bathroom so he could take a bath. No showers for him.
Then again, en suite isn't popular here. So I try to say it both ways if I can: en suite and attached.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Piggybacking on this - make sure your bathroom descriptions use the word bathroom, not bath, if you only have a shower.
We had a Brit get very upset because 'en suite bath' meant 'attached bath tub room'. I had to quickly change any abbreviated words. And move the guest to our detached bathroom so he could take a bath. No showers for him.
Then again, en suite isn't popular here. So I try to say it both ways if I can: en suite and attached.
that was one of the reasons for the listing. I was very clear (at least I tried to be).
"the en-suite bathroom has a bathtub/shower combination (with grab bars) and a pedestal sink."
"This room is our only room with an unattached bathroom. The bathroom is private (never shared) and is steps down the hall. It has a claw foot tub with a shower attachment and an antique marble sink."
"The two rooms are connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom with a stall shower and a granite topped vanity."
"The en-suite bathroom features a stall shower and a large granite topped vanity."
THEN , I have a grid of amenities. One column is, "En-suite". Below is listed (in order), Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. Another column is, "tub or shower". Below is listed, Tub/shower, tub/shower, tub only, shower only, shower only, shower only.
Only problem is - they will have to READ, no matter how you put it.
The way things are going I think we are going to go back to hieroglyphics.
gillumhouse said:
seriously! :)
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
We've already done that. Look at some of the OTA sites. They put pictograms instead of words.
Maybe I should do that. Two heads for each room. A third head with a slash thru it to indicate two guests only.
Where can I find those to add to my site? You know, a shower head, but not a bathtub.
I wouldn't mess with icons. There will be some who still won't understand. Just do a bullet list of what each room has. Not in paragraph form. Eyes see bulleted lists much easier. Make it short and sweet:)
EmptyNest said:
I wouldn't mess with icons. There will be some who still won't understand. Just do a bullet list of what each room has. Not in paragraph form. Eyes see bulleted lists much easier. Make it short and sweet:)
I'd add the icons for the 'younger' crowd who are used to seeing them everywhere. Bullet lists for the biz people and folks who need lists. Text to tell the story that is very important to the brand. All 3. Not either/or.

Of note... if you have guests from Europe, the terms first floor etc don't mean the same thing. You may instead want to go with entry floor, 1st floor up, 2nd floor up instead. Because in Europe the entry floor is 0, so the next floor is the first floor..
Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
that was one of the reasons for the listing. I was very clear (at least I tried to be).
"the en-suite bathroom has a bathtub/shower combination (with grab bars) and a pedestal sink."
"This room is our only room with an unattached bathroom. The bathroom is private (never shared) and is steps down the hall. It has a claw foot tub with a shower attachment and an antique marble sink."
"The two rooms are connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom with a stall shower and a granite topped vanity."
"The en-suite bathroom features a stall shower and a large granite topped vanity."
THEN , I have a grid of amenities. One column is, "En-suite". Below is listed (in order), Yes, No, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes. Another column is, "tub or shower". Below is listed, Tub/shower, tub/shower, tub only, shower only, shower only, shower only.
gillumhouse said:
TheBeachHouse said:
gillumhouse said:
We've already done that. Look at some of the OTA sites. They put pictograms instead of words.
Maybe I should do that. Two heads for each room. A third head with a slash thru it to indicate two guests only.
Where can I find those to add to my site? You know, a shower head, but not a bathtub.
EmptyNest said:
I'd add the icons for the 'younger' crowd who are used to seeing them everywhere. Bullet lists for the biz people and folks who need lists. Text to tell the story that is very important to the brand. All 3. Not either/or.
Good point. Everyone reads differently. I like the prose to explain how pretty or quiet or large or small a room is. But I like the table for easy, quick comparisons. You need a tub? Choose one of these three. Done.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
I did the grid thing, too. Maybe not on the site now. I think I did it on the specials page so guests didn't have to go back and forth to pick a room.
If I don't have it, I'm going to add it again. I wish I could do a program that would ask you questions: do you have a dog? (No rooms would show up.) Do you have a child with you? (Only 2 rooms would show up.) Stuff like that.
You can do that! On your policies page or create a FAQ! Page.
use the accordion short codes. Put in a question, Then do the answer.....
they click on the + sign to see the answer.
Here is an example: This is not your theme, but your theme does the same thing.
http://countryplacecabins.com/faqs/
Check out your website pages now...you have a FAQ template if you want to try it.
EmptyNest said:
Check out your website pages now...you have a FAQ template if you want to try it.
Is this a separate plug in? Or do I just start a new page from scratch and do the accordion short code?
Never mind. Found the toggle shortcode and it works much better.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
I did the grid thing, too. Maybe not on the site now. I think I did it on the specials page so guests didn't have to go back and forth to pick a room.
If I don't have it, I'm going to add it again. I wish I could do a program that would ask you questions: do you have a dog? (No rooms would show up.) Do you have a child with you? (Only 2 rooms would show up.) Stuff like that.
EmptyNest said:
Is this a separate plug in? Or do I just start a new page from scratch and do the accordion short code?
Toggle or accordion. which ever you prefer. Toggle may be a problem because you need to fit the question into the toggle space and it won't allow you much room without everything looking very strange and hard to navigate..but give it a try.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
Toggle or accordion. which ever you prefer. Toggle may be a problem because you need to fit the question into the toggle space and it won't allow you much room without everything looking very strange and hard to navigate..but give it a try.
Accordion did not work at all. I had a 'tearing my hair out' email all composed until I saw 'toggle' and tried that. I'm almost done.
I could not 'add' accordion. I'd get it set up, hit insert, and all my data would disappear. Very frustrating.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
Accordion did not work at all. I had a 'tearing my hair out' email all composed until I saw 'toggle' and tried that. I'm almost done.
I could not 'add' accordion. I'd get it set up, hit insert, and all my data would disappear. Very frustrating.
I have it all set up on the faqs page but I just looked at your toggle page and that works real well too. I might change the title you have on the page though. Doesn't seem to read right or something

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
Sorry I meant tab set up not toggle
toggle set up is good

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
I have it all set up on the faqs page but I just looked at your toggle page and that works real well too. I might change the title you have on the page though. Doesn't seem to read right or something
Not quite done. At the bottom I'm adding a chart. Might as well appeal to the most people! It's just a draft right now.
I'll add a slide show, too. It looks boring without the pix.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
Do I have a FAQ page I didn't know about? There were some plug ins I didn't recognize.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
Do I have a FAQ page I didn't know about? There were some plug ins I didn't recognize.
Yes, i set it up for you the other day...it is marked private.

Generic said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
EmptyNest said:
Didn't even see it! Will check today.

Back