Beyond words...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A big hug is sent to you from me, right here right now. I would have a cup of tea and we could cry together too.
First of all, you know it wasn't you, nothing about you, and nothing about what you have there, they would find things. It is not over, responding is only prolonging the pain and the war with them. They think they are in a battle and will continue, so my advice is to do what you already did, throw it all away and NEVER look back. Right now you are giving them what they want, control.
They think that they were created to sort people out and trust us when we say we have all had "those guests" stay with us. Some of us are related to people like that. Take back the power from them Natalie.
Secondly, your husband is a wise man and please give him a high five from us. His job, in this innkeeping life should be to shield you from this crap if at all possible. I think back over our years and wondered if I should have told my husband things that happened, or if he should have told me. Yes, we are in it together, but honestly, some of us take things more to heart after an assault.
Hang in there, that pit you have in your stomach will pass. I am very sorry you had these horrible horrible excuse for human beings staying there, while you offered a warm welcome and hospitality..
I am so happy to have you folks! So I should just not respond? Not even to their review? We all know we WILL get it. And it will be laughably bad. (I make it a habit to respond immediately to any review, this tends to allow me to read and move on much faster and not stew on it.)
I just feel they got so much wrong with their comments. Should I allow them to reread their own mess and realize, hmm, yep, we're bad people.
nataliebee said:
I am so happy to have you folks! So I should just not respond? Not even to their review? We all know we WILL get it. And it will be laughably bad. (I make it a habit to respond immediately to any review, this tends to allow me to read and move on much faster and not stew on it.)
I just feel they got so much wrong with their comments. Should I allow them to reread their own mess and realize, hmm, yep, we're bad people.
Consider this
When they write a review (and they will) everyone will read what YOU wrote in response. The review will be the first one people go to above the 55 great reviews, the 1 stinker will be click bait. I do it, you do it, we all want to see what is said, and then how the innkeeper responded. If you pull them apart line by line it will only VALIDATE that one small part of what they say "unfriendly, overbearing, not welcoming" or whatever words they choose. I tried humor and even that was not worthy. I learned my lesson.
I hope you listen to that, as we all want to clear our names, we all want to set everything right. We cannot change someones opinion, their pov or how nasty they are, ever. And you know what? It is not our job. If they want English Breakfast Tea and you offered Irish Breakfast Tea you will forever be in the wrong, and did not provide them a perfect stay. You can't correct them, all you can do is share your positive attitude and warm welcoming with new guests (or you will deter future guests).
More ranting from JB: Don't let it bite you in the bum, it will, we all have done it. Regretfully so, and the name "POOKA" (name changed) comes up all the flippin' time for me. Forever, the piece o crap who tried to destroy what we have worked so hard to build, with every penny, every ounce of sweat, lack of sleep, hard work, all of it - one GUY (or person) can come in and take you down, the cowards. Don't give him/her the power. Please. I say this to all my innmates.
JBloggs said:
More ranting from JB: Don't let it bite you in the bum, it will, we all have done it. Regretfully so, and the name "POOKA" (name changed) comes up all the flippin' time for me. Forever, the piece o crap who tried to destroy what we have worked so hard to build, with every penny, every ounce of sweat, lack of sleep, hard work, all of it - one GUY (or person) can come in and take you down, the cowards. Don't give him/her the power. Please. I say this to all my innmates.
I've accepted that the bad reviews we got are from the same person who is so very hateful that being in their presence, even by talking about the situation, is giving them more control. (Altho I do joke about it with Gomez!)
Thus the very short response which doesn't rebut any of their lies. And doesn't actually acknowledge the writer at all other than to apologize to anyone who has to read that hatred.
Morticia said:
JBloggs said:
I've accepted that the bad reviews we got are from the same person who is so very hateful that being in their presence, even by talking about the situation, is giving them more control. (Altho I do joke about it with Gomez!)
Thus the very short response which doesn't rebut any of their lies. And doesn't actually acknowledge the writer at all other than to apologize to anyone who has to read that hatred.
thumbs_up.gif

It's horrible, it's a personal attack on you and your home. Hugs from us too.
However I do agree with JB and Gillum, entering in to correspondence with them is only prolonging the agony for you and as you're never going to placate people like this only antagonising them more leading to a greater chance they'll post online reviews.
Cleaning rooms is therapy for me in these situations. I ceremoniously screw up their comment sheet into a ball and throw it in the bin, then I clean the room and wash the linens and remove any trace that they were ever in my home..
I typically don't do the heavy cleaning, just the quality checks at the end. Today I was right in there, taking your advice and cursing them while tucking in bedskirts and gathering cups. You know what? It felt GREAT. I'll be doing the same tomorrow (then maybe let the housekeepers have their jobs back...)

A big hug is sent to you from me, right here right now. I would have a cup of tea and we could cry together too.
First of all, you know it wasn't you, nothing about you, and nothing about what you have there, they would find things. It is not over, responding is only prolonging the pain and the war with them. They think they are in a battle and will continue, so my advice is to do what you already did, throw it all away and NEVER look back. Right now you are giving them what they want, control.
They think that they were created to sort people out and trust us when we say we have all had "those guests" stay with us. Some of us are related to people like that. Take back the power from them Natalie.
Secondly, your husband is a wise man and please give him a high five from us. His job, in this innkeeping life should be to shield you from this crap if at all possible. I think back over our years and wondered if I should have told my husband things that happened, or if he should have told me. Yes, we are in it together, but honestly, some of us take things more to heart after an assault.
Hang in there, that pit you have in your stomach will pass. I am very sorry you had these horrible horrible excuse for human beings staying there, while you offered a warm welcome and hospitality..
nataliebee said:
Consider this
When they write a review (and they will) everyone will read what YOU wrote in response. The review will be the first one people go to above the 55 great reviews, the 1 stinker will be click bait. I do it, you do it, we all want to see what is said, and then how the innkeeper responded. If you pull them apart line by line it will only VALIDATE that one small part of what they say "unfriendly, overbearing, not welcoming" or whatever words they choose. I tried humor and even that was not worthy. I learned my lesson.
I hope you listen to that, as we all want to clear our names, we all want to set everything right. We cannot change someones opinion, their pov or how nasty they are, ever. And you know what? It is not our job. If they want English Breakfast Tea and you offered Irish Breakfast Tea you will forever be in the wrong, and did not provide them a perfect stay. You can't correct them, all you can do is share your positive attitude and warm welcoming with new guests (or you will deter future guests).
JBloggs said:
Morticia said:
thumbs_up.gif
I love this.
thumbs_up.gif

Back