Bibles on the nightstands

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, this is definitely not an issue around here. We would just find bibles sit around to be very odd and off-putting. I've only seen them in the drawers at big hotels in the US.
We have had a guest or two leave us religious pamphlets over the years. They just go into the recycling. The odd thing is that with all the clergymen and clergywomen we have had over the years, from priest to rabbis, we have never had any of them ever leave something religious. And in all the years of running the B&B we have only had one couple ever say a prayer at breakfast..
Jon Sable said:
See, this is definitely not an issue around here. We would just find bibles sit around to be very odd and off-putting. I've only seen them in the drawers at big hotels in the US.
We have had a guest or two leave us religious pamphlets over the years. They just go into the recycling. The odd thing is that with all the clergymen and clergywomen we have had over the years, from priest to rabbis, we have never had any of them ever leave something religious. And in all the years of running the B&B we have only had one couple ever say a prayer at breakfast.
Our guests said a blessing this morning at breakfast. Perhaps the atmosphere is different at each B&B and this impacts how and what goes on, and what you see and hear.
We actually had a Hebrew New Testament here as a gift from a guest. They were part of "Jews for Jesus" and said that many Hebrews have never read the New Testament, so left it for us. We did have a Jew here who was interested in reading it, so I gave it to him and he took it with. He was from South Africa and his Mother stayed with us the following year.
I think it has more to do with country than the atmosphere of the B&B. Around here, it's something people consider something you do at home or in private, not in public. How much so? It's likely more acceptable to nurse in public than pray in public. And if you have been reading the news, we have entire fights about secularism and the state.

We have had a guest or two leave us religious pamphlets over the years. They just go into the recycling. The odd thing is that with all the clergymen and clergywomen we have had over the years, from priest to rabbis, we have never had any of them ever leave something religious. And in all the years of running the B&B we have only had one couple ever say a prayer at breakfast..
I often have guests who say a blessing and some have even asked if I would mind if they did. None have ever done an obnoxious loud or long blessing and I do not have 15-20 guests at table at the same time (not with 3 rooms). Although we have several Bibles in the house, we do not have any in the rooms nor in the bookcases of "to be stolen" books. Never thought about it as we do a "to each his own" on religion in general.
I DO tell guests about my City having the only Chapel of Perpetual Adoration in our State. Many Most have never heard of it and I explain what was explained to me since it is not my brand. BUT I also tell them the part that we are most proud of - although it is a Catholic Chapel, keeping the vigil (now in its at least 15th year of 24/7) are Catholics from all over the area as well as Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, and Presbyterians and these are just the ones I know of. Many have visited and have been impressed with how peaceful and welcoming it is.

I hope Miss City Folk comes back to tell us how she handled the situation..
Sorry to ask the question and then just disapear! I have been overwhelmingly busy this past week!
I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions and I think I'm on the same page as most of you. I will be starting very soon as the new manager so I'll share my experiences and results as soon as I have some! But after some talking between my husband and I, I think we agree that although we personally don't think the bibles should be left on top of the nightstands, we also don't want to immediately start rocking the boat. We'll give it some time, put them in drawers ourselves when checking rooms after they're cleaned, and just see where it goes!

I hope Miss City Folk comes back to tell us how she handled the situation..
Sorry to ask the question and then just disapear! I have been overwhelmingly busy this past week!
I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions and I think I'm on the same page as most of you. I will be starting very soon as the new manager so I'll share my experiences and results as soon as I have some! But after some talking between my husband and I, I think we agree that although we personally don't think the bibles should be left on top of the nightstands, we also don't want to immediately start rocking the boat. We'll give it some time, put them in drawers ourselves when checking rooms after they're cleaned, and just see where it goes!
MountainMystery said:
Welcome back.
Be careful. I know if i had something set up a certain way and you were "rocking the boat" by doing something totally against my wishes I may fire you. So be careful Mountain Mystery! I say this as I have a child who is passive aggressive and will do the opposite of whatever I ask EVERY TIME. If it were someone I had hired to do this job *your job* I would not be pleased.

Personal opinion only here - anything like this should be put away. The guest will find it if they want it. If I stayed with you and kept finding religious material placed by my bedside you would find said material missing until I left.
However, if it is a mgmt decision that the guests need and expect to find this right away, then you keep your job by doing what mgmt wants.

Back