Blackmail Overheard at a B&B - yes, I was evesdropping

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angry_smile.gif
as steam exits my ears!
it is not that this woman doesn't want to ask for a discount when booking, she knows that her ugliness in person gives her more ammo and she gets MORE of a discount. She is experienced. And as someone else said, if it had been someone other than SS they would have gotten a good lesson.
We all need to use this as a lesson. Play this out in your head over and over. How could you turn this into your favor? Obviously SS saw there were other rooms available. Step 1, ask why this person waited until check out to speak up. (we know but what would the guest's story be?)
That D
angry_smile.gif
N queen bed thing! I have had that, usually when someone has stopped by and wants to check out the room. Is this a queen? Doesn't look like a queen. While I have never done this, if the above scenario were to happen here, there are 2 ways to address this: Oh, lets go take a look & bring a tape measure. 1st you could show that the well fitted sheets are queens, secondly you could take the measurements and then Google and print the bed size demotions. I am sure by doing so the person may begin to back down.
There may still be a review but no discount. And thinking of this what guarantees that this person will not write a bad review & get $50 off their stay?
Thanks Eric for reminding me that TA has this in place for innkeepers. We all hope not to need it and fail to remember it..
Sometimes if you have a large headboard or an elegant bed, a queen can look smaller than it seems! Sad that you would have to go to such lengths to prove that something is what it actually is!
I caved on a few things, but I would not like to be threatened in this manner when I knew it was all probably a lie. Grrrrr.....
angry_smile.gif

I NEVER would of given her any discount! She had plenty of time to complain about what ever, waiting till checkout did NOT give me time to "fix it" !

Is there an option for a guest rebuttal? I suppose there is, right? as another guest I can come along and say the opposite.
I am going to be watching for an online review and see if anything gets posted. amazing to think that this discount does not guarantee this princess won't STILL go on ta and post what her gripes were.
I am going to email the innkeeper and tell her what I heard and what you've said about options for recourse. Just in case ...
I just know that princess goes everywhere looking for ways to get refunds. Probably returned her designer outift when she got home. grrrrrrr.
nasty business.
seashanty said:
I just know that princess goes everywhere looking for ways to get refunds. Probably returned her designer outift when she got home. grrrrrrr.
Never pays full price. I would almost PAY HER WAY to spend a couple of days with Eric Arthur Blair, just to hear if she scores a discount there! It would be interesting.
If I got an inkling from her conversations in email or telephone that she wanted a discount, I would have long ago suggested that she book elsewhere. I know of several B&Bs that need the business and would be bending over backwards for her. They just aren't me!
Eric Arthur Blair said:
If I got an inkling...
Oh, no inkling. This is a pro. No hint of displeasure until the blackmail at checkout time. THEN you get to deal with it. Give her $50 to just go away quietly, and suffer the doubts? Buck up to her threats and suffer the review?
Dealing with the public ain't easy.
My favorite Barney Frank quote:
Somebody complained about how politicians are a bunch of corrupt, lazy, no-count bums. Representative Barney Frank replied: "Y' know, the public is no bargain, either."
It may be the situation of one of those times that you accept the bad review so that others know you can't be blackmailed.
Or, saying it to me in front of my digital camera so that I can post it to youtube for the world to see....

angry_smile.gif
as steam exits my ears!
it is not that this woman doesn't want to ask for a discount when booking, she knows that her ugliness in person gives her more ammo and she gets MORE of a discount. She is experienced. And as someone else said, if it had been someone other than SS they would have gotten a good lesson.
We all need to use this as a lesson. Play this out in your head over and over. How could you turn this into your favor? Obviously SS saw there were other rooms available. Step 1, ask why this person waited until check out to speak up. (we know but what would the guest's story be?)
That D
angry_smile.gif
N queen bed thing! I have had that, usually when someone has stopped by and wants to check out the room. Is this a queen? Doesn't look like a queen. While I have never done this, if the above scenario were to happen here, there are 2 ways to address this: Oh, lets go take a look & bring a tape measure. 1st you could show that the well fitted sheets are queens, secondly you could take the measurements and then Google and print the bed size demotions. I am sure by doing so the person may begin to back down.
There may still be a review but no discount. And thinking of this what guarantees that this person will not write a bad review & get $50 off their stay?
Thanks Eric for reminding me that TA has this in place for innkeepers. We all hope not to need it and fail to remember it..
Sometimes if you have a large headboard or an elegant bed, a queen can look smaller than it seems! Sad that you would have to go to such lengths to prove that something is what it actually is!
I caved on a few things, but I would not like to be threatened in this manner when I knew it was all probably a lie. Grrrrr.....
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
Sometimes if you have a large headboard or an elegant bed, a queen can look smaller than it seems!
Yes, that's the situation in my case. I bought massive, tall headboards and in photos my king size beds look like standard full beds! I may need to leave a tape measure and a bed size chart on my nightstands!

[h3]
"Do these pants make my butt look big?"[/h3]
haha you can't win. we talk shop here, but what we do in real life is just do what we do. I know people come here and read all these little jiggly comments and think "Sheesh people give it a break" it is just us discussing small things of innkeeping. Some days we just need to talk bed sizes, gluten free recipes and more...

angry_smile.gif
as steam exits my ears!
That D
angry_smile.gif
angry_smile.gif

Samster said:
Sometimes if you have a large headboard or an elegant bed, a queen can look smaller than it seems!
Yes, that's the situation in my case. I bought massive, tall headboards and in photos my king size beds look like standard full beds! I may need to leave a tape measure and a bed size chart on my nightstands!
I had a review that said single duvets were narrow - all single duvets in the UK are standard! they don't make them in any other size!!!! you can't buy them!

It's amazing what a little money can do to save you trouble...
http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/view/network-cameras/dcs-942l-enhanced-day-night-cloud-camera
It's in the cloud... too late to try to delete :).
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's amazing what a little money can do to save you trouble...It's in the cloud... too late to try to delete :)
How many times have we wished a camera had been running when someone said something they later claim they didn't say. These days it's really possible to have that, though guests won't like having a camera on them all the time, and it's probably not ethical to have a hidden camera.

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/view/network-cameras/dcs-942l-enhanced-day-night-cloud-camera
Eric Arthur Blair said:
It's amazing what a little money can do to save you trouble...It's in the cloud... too late to try to delete :)
How many times have we wished a camera had been running when someone said something they later claim they didn't say. These days it's really possible to have that, though guests won't like having a camera on them all the time, and it's probably not ethical to have a hidden camera.
Not even hidden. On the wall in few view. They just never notice it. Not my fault :)

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Not even hidden. On the wall in few view. They just never notice it. Not my fault :)
Eric Arthur Blair said:
They just never notice it. Not my fault :)
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Back