Can I Just Slap Them?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maddie your people are here, trying to check in at noon. Uh not gonna happen people..
Joey Bloggs said:
Maddie your people are here, trying to check in at noon. Uh not gonna happen people.
2 cars filled with their cousins just pulled up here.
3 cars and they are all ringing the bell even tho the sign says we're not here, come back at 3.
4 cars.
Maddy, you must have sent me a few of their second cousins, showed up at 11AM for a 3PM check-in with a written arrival of "late afternoon". And before you deny it... state is MA. (At least it's not ME)
Not only did every single person try ringing the bell, they also emptied all the trash out of their cars and brought it to the door. No, I did not answer, I could see them from upstairs where we were cleaning. Which we are STILL doing.

Maddie your people are here, trying to check in at noon. Uh not gonna happen people..
Joey Bloggs said:
Maddie your people are here, trying to check in at noon. Uh not gonna happen people.
3 cars and they are all ringing the bell even tho the sign says we're not here, come back at 3.
4 cars.
Maddy, you must have sent me a few of their second cousins, showed up at 11AM for a 3PM check-in with a written arrival of "late afternoon". And before you deny it... state is MA. (At least it's not ME)
Must be related...

Guests who were told no late check outs today - they left to go shopping. And all of their suitcases are still here. And one of them is singing loudly in the shower..
This is exactly why I am looking at this lock. They can walk away at any time that they want, but the door code ends at 11AM. You can't have your late checkout because it's automated and you won't be able to get into the house and you won't be able to get into the room. Makes a lot of the arguments moot. And no keys to worry about. Set it, tell them that the code will work as long as they are here, but expires when at check-out time.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
This is exactly why I am looking at this lock.
Mine are the Schlage z-wave locks. Remotely programmable from any computer, anywhere, and so far they have worked flawlessly.
When a reservation comes in, I e-mail their 4-digit code to them, then copy/paste that code into the Schlage web-based software so no danger of keying in a wrong code. I set the date & time the code will activate, and the date & time it will deactivate, then I can forget about it.
I tell them their code will deactivate at 11:00 but I really set it to deactivate at 11:30 to give them just a little safety margin.
As a bonus with the z-wave system, each time they enter their door code I have some dim but attractive accent lighting automatically come on in their room, then automatically go off after 5 minutes. Several have noticed it and complimented it as a nice extra touch.

Guests who were told no late check outs today - they left to go shopping. And all of their suitcases are still here. And one of them is singing loudly in the shower..
This is exactly why I am looking at this lock. They can walk away at any time that they want, but the door code ends at 11AM. You can't have your late checkout because it's automated and you won't be able to get into the house and you won't be able to get into the room. Makes a lot of the arguments moot. And no keys to worry about. Set it, tell them that the code will work as long as they are here, but expires when at check-out time.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Mine are the Schlage z-wave locks. Remotely programmable from any computer, anywhere, and so far they have worked flawlessly.
When a reservation comes in, I e-mail their 4-digit code to them, then copy/paste that code into the Schlage web-based software so no danger of keying in a wrong code. I set the date & time the code will activate, and the date & time it will deactivate, then I can forget about it.
I tell them their code will deactivate at 11:00 but I really set it to deactivate at 11:30 to give them just a little safety margin.
As a bonus with the z-wave system, each time they enter their door code I have some dim but attractive accent lighting automatically come on in their room, then automatically go off after 5 minutes. Several have noticed it and complimented it as a nice extra touch.
Does the lock itself need to be connected to a wi-fi system?

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Does the lock itself need to be connected to a wi-fi system?
Z-Wave is the wireless system. I'm looking at http://www.micasaverde.com/

Maddie, that is why we moved our check out time to 10:30....we start knocking at 10:45 and feel free to enter by 11:00 to start cleaning the room. Some people are REALLY nervy.
Well they got their late checkout. I had to round one of them up and tell her to call everyone else we need to get the rooms cleaned! And they showed up at 12:30 yesterday! And their rooms were done. How did they think that happened? Magic?
Of course, we did not get all of the keys back because they keys are still out shopping! I did haul all the luggage out of one room and I put it by the car. The rest of them were able to hustle at that point.
So, I go to check that everything is gone and the outside entry to their room is wide open. They must not have bugs or critters where they live. I'm pretty sure they have 'staff' given how many times I closed the doors behind them.
Everyone of them left a dollar by their side of the bed. That in and of itself was kind of funny.
A dollar? I would have contemplated giving it back to them saying "it appears you have left your lucky dollar bill at the side of the bed."
hahahahahahahaha....that was my laugh for the day!! Thanks! :-D

Joey Bloggs said:
4 cars.
One more car today JUST walked in to check in. We haven't finished cleaning up from their family's breakfast this morning!

Back