Can I trust you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What evidence do you have of the need for this.
Our old web site had a very prominent 'About us' page and was rarely looked at. When it came to rewriting our site and culling vast number of pages we had it was one of those that had to go. It was there originally as I thought it gave the business more of a human feel but the public voted with their clicks..
Why did it "have" to go?
It takes virtually no extra resources, and while it may be true that few people looked at, perhaps it swayed the one or two who did look at it to book with you.
Harborfields said:
Why did it "have" to go?
It takes virtually no extra resources, and while it may be true that few people looked at, perhaps it swayed the one or two who did look at it to book with you.
There are a number of reasons for this:
1) Design gurus tell me you can't have three deep navigation menus any longer and I couldn't find any good Bootstrap navigation code that supported 3 deep navigation. So you have to either be very clever (I am not) or start using tabs which I did.
2) and this is the bigy - you can't really have more than 10 navigation items. Well you can but in a responsive design it all starts becoming a bit iffy as to whether the user can see all these items on all devices (Mobile Android being the biggest problem). I think I worked out (just by experimenting) that the optimum is about 8 items. I have used 10 with the least important to the far right hand side (or bottom of the stack for mobile) and just assume a % of people will never see them.
I am sure there are ways round these problems but I couldn't find it without a lot of work. I would be very interest if someone has a solution to this as there are a number of navigation items I would love to add.
Why not add a page about yourselves, for those who don't read the blog, under misc?
My about page is rarely viewed. It's there for those people who need this info. It's different for a B&B. They're in my house. I'm feeding them. They want to get a look at me. Hate to say it, but to judge my character.
Do I look like someone they might want to spend time with? Reliable? Clean? Am I drinking, smoking, dressed oddly? (Oddly being open to interpretation.) Who else lives here? Am I married?
Mostly, tho, I think the question is: do I look like them? If I don't, can they deal with it?
BTW, I rarely look at about pages.
Morticia said:
Why not add a page about yourselves, for those who don't read the blog, under misc?
My about page is rarely viewed. It's there for those people who need this info. It's different for a B&B. They're in my house. I'm feeding them. They want to get a look at me. Hate to say it, but to judge my character.
Do I look like someone they might want to spend time with? Reliable? Clean? Am I drinking, smoking, dressed oddly? (Oddly being open to interpretation.) Who else lives here? Am I married?
Mostly, tho, I think the question is: do I look like them? If I don't, can they deal with it?
Yes thanks your right, I could add it under misc although of cause that is one of the navigation items that virtually disappears for small screen users. I will add it to my to do list .
FWIW, I just wanted to suggest that I don't think it is necessary to have every single page that is on your site be directly accessible from your main navigation menu.
For example, each time we send out a newsletter, I post a copy on our website on it's own page. But each issue of the newsletter is not accessible from within our main navigation menu, rather there is just a link to "newsletters" that takes you to an index page for the collection...
BTW, I totally agree with your approach of writing your website for people rather than for robots. In fact that is what Google has always been trying to get webmasters to do! That said, there really is no limit on the number of pages. If you have a lot of content that might be useful to people, I would not hesitate to post it, whether that results in 40 pages or 140. Obviously the trick comes in how you organize, index, and present that information. Design a navigation menu system that works for the devices you are aiming to serve, but like I suggested, I wouldn't let that constrain me in the amount of useful information I put on my site (rather I would consider alternative ways of indexing and accessing that information, even if they are outside my main navigation system).
As long as you can find your way out of the rabbit hole. I hate when a site dead ends.

Our old web site had a very prominent 'About us' page and was rarely looked at. When it came to rewriting our site and culling vast number of pages we had it was one of those that had to go. It was there originally as I thought it gave the business more of a human feel but the public voted with their clicks..
Why did it "have" to go?
Harborfields said:
Why did it "have" to go?
1) Design gurus tell me you can't have three deep navigation menus any longer and I couldn't find any good Bootstrap navigation code that supported 3 deep navigation. So you have to either be very clever (I am not) or start using tabs which I did.
2) and this is the bigy - you can't really have more than 10 navigation items. Well you can but in a responsive design it all starts becoming a bit iffy as to whether the user can see all these items on all devices (Mobile Android being the biggest problem). I think I worked out (just by experimenting) that the optimum is about 8 items. I have used 10 with the least important to the far right hand side (or bottom of the stack for mobile) and just assume a % of people will never see them.
I am sure there are ways round these problems but I couldn't find it without a lot of work. I would be very interest if someone has a solution to this as there are a number of navigation items I would love to add.
Morticia said:
Yes thanks your right, I could add it under misc although of cause that is one of the navigation items that virtually disappears for small screen users. I will add it to my to do list .
FWIW, I just wanted to suggest that I don't think it is necessary to have every single page that is on your site be directly accessible from your main navigation menu.
For example, each time we send out a newsletter, I post a copy on our website on it's own page. But each issue of the newsletter is not accessible from within our main navigation menu, rather there is just a link to "newsletters" that takes you to an index page for the collection...
BTW, I totally agree with your approach of writing your website for people rather than for robots. In fact that is what Google has always been trying to get webmasters to do! That said, there really is no limit on the number of pages. If you have a lot of content that might be useful to people, I would not hesitate to post it, whether that results in 40 pages or 140. Obviously the trick comes in how you organize, index, and present that information. Design a navigation menu system that works for the devices you are aiming to serve, but like I suggested, I wouldn't let that constrain me in the amount of useful information I put on my site (rather I would consider alternative ways of indexing and accessing that information, even if they are outside my main navigation system).
As long as you can find your way out of the rabbit hole. I hate when a site dead ends.
Agree, there is no excuse for dead ends. Of course, there is always the browser's back button!

Why did it "have" to go?
Harborfields said:
Why did it "have" to go?
Morticia said:
Agree, there is no excuse for dead ends. Of course, there is always the browser's back button!
Harborfields said:
Sometimes you just want the link right there to do the next thing - book a room, buy the thing you're looking at, get more info about the author, read the next thing they wrote.
It's unfortunate that our co workers in the biz still have sites that drop you in Wonderland, never to get home again.
And that doesn't mean they don't do a wonderful job at innkeeping.

Back