Cancellations... UGH!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, now I have 9 of the days sold, one is completely lost, but still have 4 to see if I can sell!

Well, now I have 9 of the days sold, one is completely lost, but still have 4 to see if I can sell!.
Glad 9 got resold - softens the blow a bit.
Working on it.... if I manage to sell 2 more, I will ahead of last July... It's like beating a horse towards the end of the race, you never are quite sure if you will make it or not....

Well, now I have 9 of the days sold, one is completely lost, but still have 4 to see if I can sell!.
Well, finally tally, I lost 5 days out of 14.
Let's hope that August is better than July.

Speaking of cancellations. I was inquiring about an event we were going to go to in SC as we had blocked off the reservation calendar to attend and I get an email back - only because I was asking the closing time on the event:
"The conference runs from Friday night to Sunday night. We had a recent change to the schedule, though. The conference will now be held on November 14-16.
Uh ya think you may want to tell us when it is not even in the same month now? Who does this. People have NO IDEA what it takes to get out of a B&B for a weekend, yes weekend, it is near impossible. Now I am just spittin' mad.

Speaking of cancellations. I was inquiring about an event we were going to go to in SC as we had blocked off the reservation calendar to attend and I get an email back - only because I was asking the closing time on the event:
"The conference runs from Friday night to Sunday night. We had a recent change to the schedule, though. The conference will now be held on November 14-16.
Uh ya think you may want to tell us when it is not even in the same month now? Who does this. People have NO IDEA what it takes to get out of a B&B for a weekend, yes weekend, it is near impossible. Now I am just spittin' mad..
Holy cow! They changed the date and didn't tell the attendees???

Uh ya think you may want to tell us when it is not even in the same month now? Who does this. People have NO IDEA what it takes to get out of a B&B for a weekend, yes weekend, it is near impossible. Now I am just spittin' mad..
That is crazy!! No notice?

Nope didn't tell us at all. You can imagine DH's reaction as well. For me I unblocked the system all over and DH is telling work, oh yeah btw I am not taking those dates off now. DORKS! But it is par for the course for 2014 for us.

I have the cancellation pain! Took a rez this morning - family of a Korean Vet who died in a China prison camp in 1951 being brought home for burial. Needed 2 rooms for 3 nights starting tonight. One of those rooms was booked for tomorrow so I called (allergies) and confirmed if pillows were changed out, she could move (upgrade to best room for military discount on cheap room price). (Funeral rate plus compassionate discount was 2 rooms for 130 per night)
4 hours later she called to tell me the family decided they had to stay with them - cancelled. There is no way I am going to charge that family. 2 hours later we get a call from repeat guests - aunt died so they have to cancel. That was a 2-night package (thankfully, had not shopped for it yet). 5 rooms bye-bye in less than 8 hours. There is hope about the Fri/Sat rez - slim but a hope. Cie la vie! Par for my course

Guy booked 2 rooms for this coming weekend 5 weeks ago - my most expensive and least expensive rooms. Called this morning saying he has to cancel because his dad who has been on dialysis for a year is not feeling well to make the trip up from Florida. That's $1,000 cancelled 4 days out. I already have one night deposit of each and hope someone else books them so I don't have to charge him. But I can't lose $500 because he knew his father was sick but took chance that he'd be able to go away. He said he knew he couldn't get money back unless someone took the rooms but hoped so. This is my only income and I have 2 kids to support - but I hope someone does take them so I can refund money. Hate cancellations within policy time, give me a headache.

Hello all, we are new here, we own a 3 room bed and breakfast in Geneva NY, we have a strict no refund policy for all Hobart william smith events (the college here in Geneva) This is clearly stated on our website. We had a woman call in March to reserve our king room for Family weekend in September. She called in May to cancel saying her son decided to take a year off and that they would be back the following year. When we returned her call to remind her that weekend is NON refundable, she literally went up one side of us and down the other, saying she gave us plenty of notice to cancel. When we explained that our policy clearly states this on our website and that we could give her a gift certificate to use the following year, she said "We dont plan on coming back", which totally contradicts what she said when she left her voicemail. Before the phone call ended she threatened to just leave the room empty but we informed her that per her request the room had already been cancelled, she said you cant do that, You already have my money, so again we told her , the room was NON refundable. We also told her that she was only charged for a one night stay rather than the two night stay she had booked. (Our website states they will be charged the entire stay) After shouting and calling us rude and a few other choice things she said she was going to find someone else to buy the room from her.....we gave her until August 1 to do this, on August 6 (today) We sent an email to her which came back undeliverable....we found her husbands email and sent him the message that the room had been cancelled and was now back open for bookings. within minutes she called and again told us we were rude and ignorant people and she was going to tell everyone about us....blah blah blah....we tried again to explain to her that the weekend was NON refundable and that we would be happy to give her a gift certificate, (i wont bother telling you what she said we could do with it). At one point she said she was still coming and we told her the room had been cancelled. Before hanging up she said she was going to sell the room to someone else and hung up the phone. Since we have already cancelled her reservation and the room is open for booking, we are not sure how to handle this since it is very possible she will do as she said and sell the room to someone else......how would you handle this situation? what if she does send someone else and we have already rebooked?

Hello all, we are new here, we own a 3 room bed and breakfast in Geneva NY, we have a strict no refund policy for all Hobart william smith events (the college here in Geneva) This is clearly stated on our website. We had a woman call in March to reserve our king room for Family weekend in September. She called in May to cancel saying her son decided to take a year off and that they would be back the following year. When we returned her call to remind her that weekend is NON refundable, she literally went up one side of us and down the other, saying she gave us plenty of notice to cancel. When we explained that our policy clearly states this on our website and that we could give her a gift certificate to use the following year, she said "We dont plan on coming back", which totally contradicts what she said when she left her voicemail. Before the phone call ended she threatened to just leave the room empty but we informed her that per her request the room had already been cancelled, she said you cant do that, You already have my money, so again we told her , the room was NON refundable. We also told her that she was only charged for a one night stay rather than the two night stay she had booked. (Our website states they will be charged the entire stay) After shouting and calling us rude and a few other choice things she said she was going to find someone else to buy the room from her.....we gave her until August 1 to do this, on August 6 (today) We sent an email to her which came back undeliverable....we found her husbands email and sent him the message that the room had been cancelled and was now back open for bookings. within minutes she called and again told us we were rude and ignorant people and she was going to tell everyone about us....blah blah blah....we tried again to explain to her that the weekend was NON refundable and that we would be happy to give her a gift certificate, (i wont bother telling you what she said we could do with it). At one point she said she was still coming and we told her the room had been cancelled. Before hanging up she said she was going to sell the room to someone else and hung up the phone. Since we have already cancelled her reservation and the room is open for booking, we are not sure how to handle this since it is very possible she will do as she said and sell the room to someone else......how would you handle this situation? what if she does send someone else and we have already rebooked?.
She cancelled. She doesn't have a room. If she 'sells' it to someone else, you have no responsibility.
Have you sent her a cancellation confirmation? If yes, you're done.

Hello all, we are new here, we own a 3 room bed and breakfast in Geneva NY, we have a strict no refund policy for all Hobart william smith events (the college here in Geneva) This is clearly stated on our website. We had a woman call in March to reserve our king room for Family weekend in September. She called in May to cancel saying her son decided to take a year off and that they would be back the following year. When we returned her call to remind her that weekend is NON refundable, she literally went up one side of us and down the other, saying she gave us plenty of notice to cancel. When we explained that our policy clearly states this on our website and that we could give her a gift certificate to use the following year, she said "We dont plan on coming back", which totally contradicts what she said when she left her voicemail. Before the phone call ended she threatened to just leave the room empty but we informed her that per her request the room had already been cancelled, she said you cant do that, You already have my money, so again we told her , the room was NON refundable. We also told her that she was only charged for a one night stay rather than the two night stay she had booked. (Our website states they will be charged the entire stay) After shouting and calling us rude and a few other choice things she said she was going to find someone else to buy the room from her.....we gave her until August 1 to do this, on August 6 (today) We sent an email to her which came back undeliverable....we found her husbands email and sent him the message that the room had been cancelled and was now back open for bookings. within minutes she called and again told us we were rude and ignorant people and she was going to tell everyone about us....blah blah blah....we tried again to explain to her that the weekend was NON refundable and that we would be happy to give her a gift certificate, (i wont bother telling you what she said we could do with it). At one point she said she was still coming and we told her the room had been cancelled. Before hanging up she said she was going to sell the room to someone else and hung up the phone. Since we have already cancelled her reservation and the room is open for booking, we are not sure how to handle this since it is very possible she will do as she said and sell the room to someone else......how would you handle this situation? what if she does send someone else and we have already rebooked?.
She cancelled. She doesn't have a room. If she 'sells' it to someone else, you have no responsibility.

Yes Madeleine ....we sent her two actually, but the last phone call after she received the email, she stated she would sell it. Just wondering what we would do if she actually sold the room and that person showed up to claim it.....obviously we would tell her that reservation was cancelled per the womans request, but we arent really looking to argue with anyone that weekend as we will have other guests. or if this woman showed up herself (that would be balsey to say the least).....

Yes, you legally are in the right. But if I were the guest, to see you be so blatant about double dipping would make me livid.
Why not offer to credit them back minus a fee if you're able to re-rent their room?

Yes Madeleine ....we sent her two actually, but the last phone call after she received the email, she stated she would sell it. Just wondering what we would do if she actually sold the room and that person showed up to claim it.....obviously we would tell her that reservation was cancelled per the womans request, but we arent really looking to argue with anyone that weekend as we will have other guests. or if this woman showed up herself (that would be balsey to say the least).....
We had that happen once early on. Some one cancelled and then, without telling us, when we had not filled the vacancy, sent someone else in their place. We had gone out of town for the day and returned back at the B+B to about 45 frantic telephone calls. Needless to say no one was happy but we did not make the replacements sleep on the street.
Now our cancellation policy clearly states that once a cancellation confirmation email has been sent, all cancellations are FINAL.

We had that happen once early on. Some one cancelled and then, without telling us, when we had not filled the vacancy, sent someone else in their place. We had gone out of town for the day and returned back at the B+B to about 45 frantic telephone calls. Needless to say no one was happy but we did not make the replacements sleep on the street.
Now our cancellation policy clearly states that once a cancellation confirmation email has been sent, all cancellations are FINAL.
Oh my, Sorry to hear that, i think we have covered our bases, our website has always clearly stated that any event for hobart william smith is NON refundable, We have sent two emails letting them know the reservation was cancelled. Instead of being grateful that we didnt charge her for the whole weekend, she goes through this rant because she was charged at all (we were being nice at the time and only took one nights fee for her deposit instead of the amount of the entire stay).....if she sends someone else, they will be very disappointed because nobody in this area will have a room, these rooms are booked months in advance for HWS events, I am sure we will have no trouble finding another guest to take the room, and we still plan to send her a gift certificate which i am sure she will immediately throw away, since it will say NON exchangeable and NON transferable, and must be used within one year. I cant imagine that after her display of a child like temper tantrum, she wont want to stay here herself, and since she cant give or sell it to anyone it is basically useless.

Not to be an antagonist, but...Why is this the policy? No cancellations for these special weekends...ever??? If you couldn't re-rent the room and would be out the money, I'd understand, but you just said that there's no room in town to be found. If these special weekends at the college are so popular, I'm sure you're getting calls inquiring about rooms up to the week (day, maybe) before the event.
So now the room has been re-booked AND you have the money of the woman who cancelled, too. Yes, you're financially ahead of the game, but at what cost? You're going to be worried about the woman's 'replacement' showing up. What if they do and there's no 'room in the inn'?
Maybe there's something I'm missing here. I'm not in a college town, per se. I'm in a tourist area where, if I had a policy like this, potential guests would just move on to the next property and not even give me a second look.

Honestly, I think you need to change your policy. Allow cancellation with a fee if it's easily rerentable. You still get to keep the fee and you don't have to worry about her writing a justifiable rant on TA.

Oh my, Sorry to hear that, i think we have covered our bases, our website has always clearly stated that any event for hobart william smith is NON refundable, We have sent two emails letting them know the reservation was cancelled. Instead of being grateful that we didnt charge her for the whole weekend, she goes through this rant because she was charged at all (we were being nice at the time and only took one nights fee for her deposit instead of the amount of the entire stay).....if she sends someone else, they will be very disappointed because nobody in this area will have a room, these rooms are booked months in advance for HWS events, I am sure we will have no trouble finding another guest to take the room, and we still plan to send her a gift certificate which i am sure she will immediately throw away, since it will say NON exchangeable and NON transferable, and must be used within one year. I cant imagine that after her display of a child like temper tantrum, she wont want to stay here herself, and since she cant give or sell it to anyone it is basically useless.
I am trying to sort out your policy just a bit.
We have a 14 day cancellation policy - at which time the entire stay is non-refundable. We charge them the full amount for the stay and issue a 100% credit for a future stay during the next year. Up to this point its kind of similar.
However, if we can rebook the room before the day of check-in, we do not charge them for the nights we can book. This has always seemed to us to be a fair way to play it. Taking their money AND selling it a second time seems a bit predatory to me.
Mind you, every situation is different- every innkeeper has a reason for their policies- I may just be missing something.

Back