Cannot use internet on my new phone

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should have set your phone up with a Google Chrome account and gmail account.
If you set up FB on your phone, don't have it set up to auto notify you of updates/ notifications as you will find it eats away at your battery.
I downloaded Dropbox on my phone and my PC so I can easily share my phone pics on my PC, then I delete on the phone and Dropbox. Dropbox is free for ?number of space then you can pay. I just want it to be an easy share..
My phone came with nothing and 4 steps to start it up. I now have 4 different accounts associated with it - gmail (needed to get apps), samsung (needed for something on the phone), cricket (needed to access account info for data - and which I promptly forgot the login name and pw for) and something else. It's absurd.
I have several accounts on Phone it's not a big deal.
Gmail, another email, Apple ID which covers most of their apps, FB, TA, a bunch of different apps, etc.
Get used to it

Android or iPhone? If Android... Chrome or just "Browser". Do you have the same problem when using an app? How much memory does your phone have?.
Android. Internet (not Chrome). I don't have any apps with passwords. Phone has 8 gb free space.
Morticia said:
Android. Internet (not Chrome). I don't have any apps with passwords. Phone has 8 gb free space.
That is plenty of space. Make sure you have Google's sync set up, especially when on wifi and it will back up your photos to google photos, so you don't have to worry about deleting it. I never run out of space. But there are a few things that use space needlessly, like having a LONG contact list. Things like Inbox if you are using a gmail address really don't use space, they load a small amount and only use the full data if you open the mail. And clear out when you mark it done.
Make your life easier, get Lastpass for Android and it will store your passwords and fill in things. Get Google Drive so you can store stuff on the cloud and not have it take up space on your phone. Set up the wifi, so it will do it mostly on the wifi.
If you REALLY want to improve your security all around, get Authy, it works like Google Authenticator but can be set up on more than one phone, in case you need it for Gomez as well.
I have never installed the FB Messaging app and never will. That's all bloat. But Waze is GREAT if you need a GPS and don't worry about data. It will help you get places faster and vary the side roads so that you skip the congestion.
BTW, good time to think of setting up gmail to handle your email. You can set it up under gmail to actually act as if it's your other email box. It will pick it up, will even let you set it up to send as the other email account. And you will get notifications on your phone when it comes in, etc. Also, google will start to help you decide what you want notifications on and what to not bother you with. (Filters help) and you can reply on the fly.
I have Gmail. Two accounts. One for the phone for random crap from installed apps. One I actually use.
What I need is to figure out how to tell the airlines to send updates to the phone, not my email. I had 10 different emails telling me my flight had been changed. I got them when I got home.
I tried to add my phone number when I checked in, but I couldn't enter anything in the phone number field.
I am guessing you need a special app for your airline so they can text to your phone. I don't know of any other way it could be sent you o your phone unless by text or say messenger
The only way they can connect to you otherwise would be via email: can't you check your email from your phone? I don't understand your issue.
The problem was I asked for a text for updates and they sent an email. So everyone around me is getting texts about the flight and I'm getting nothing. I got home and checked my email and there were all the alerts.
I did check my email while on vacation but I don't access it on open networks. I checked it a few times at the kid's house.

Android or iPhone? If Android... Chrome or just "Browser". Do you have the same problem when using an app? How much memory does your phone have?.
Morticia said:
That is plenty of space. Make sure you have Google's sync set up, especially when on wifi and it will back up your photos to google photos, so you don't have to worry about deleting it. I never run out of space. But there are a few things that use space needlessly, like having a LONG contact list. Things like Inbox if you are using a gmail address really don't use space, they load a small amount and only use the full data if you open the mail. And clear out when you mark it done.
Make your life easier, get Lastpass for Android and it will store your passwords and fill in things. Get Google Drive so you can store stuff on the cloud and not have it take up space on your phone. Set up the wifi, so it will do it mostly on the wifi.
If you REALLY want to improve your security all around, get Authy, it works like Google Authenticator but can be set up on more than one phone, in case you need it for Gomez as well.
I have never installed the FB Messaging app and never will. That's all bloat. But Waze is GREAT if you need a GPS and don't worry about data. It will help you get places faster and vary the side roads so that you skip the congestion.
BTW, good time to think of setting up gmail to handle your email. You can set it up under gmail to actually act as if it's your other email box. It will pick it up, will even let you set it up to send as the other email account. And you will get notifications on your phone when it comes in, etc. Also, google will start to help you decide what you want notifications on and what to not bother you with. (Filters help) and you can reply on the fly.
I have Gmail. Two accounts. One for the phone for random crap from installed apps. One I actually use.
What I need is to figure out how to tell the airlines to send updates to the phone, not my email. I had 10 different emails telling me my flight had been changed. I got them when I got home.
I tried to add my phone number when I checked in, but I couldn't enter anything in the phone number field.
I am guessing you need a special app for your airline so they can text to your phone. I don't know of any other way it could be sent you o your phone unless by text or say messenger
The only way they can connect to you otherwise would be via email: can't you check your email from your phone? I don't understand your issue.
The problem was I asked for a text for updates and they sent an email. So everyone around me is getting texts about the flight and I'm getting nothing. I got home and checked my email and there were all the alerts.
I did check my email while on vacation but I don't access it on open networks. I checked it a few times at the kid's house.
Well that is not your phone's fault, it it the airline's fault for not texting you. Why didn't use just use the phone's connection and not wi fi?

Morticia said:
Well that is not your phone's fault, it it the airline's fault for not texting you. Why didn't use just use the phone's connection and not wi fi?
At the time because I couldn't log onto anything that required a password.

Morticia said:
At the time because I couldn't log onto anything that required a password.
I have basically two email addresses, my personal and the business. I have other accounts, they either are forwarded to my personal, or my gmail picks them up for me. Simplified my life.
For security, all my passwords are in Lastpass and two-factor authentication I use Authy (it acts as Google Authenticator).
If you don't know what Google Authenticator is, basically you have to key in (or scan in) a code that synchronizes your phone with the time on the website. At that point, it generates a new 6 digit code every 3 minutes. You need the password and that 6 digit code to authorize any access. So even if you have my Google Email password... you can't get in, you need that 6 digit code. I have it set up to protect my passwords on Lastpass, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Dropbox, Wordpress, etc.

What's you phone model no? I see some old phones have this same issue. Some gingerbread phones have this issue. But after lollipop I think every phone has this feature in Android.

I think there's a learning curve here that you are dealing with. And, okay, let me just say you are operating under stress so learning about and configuring a new device is extra challenging. You are also brand new to smart phones, not just this particular phone.
Once you figure it out, the smart phone really will be smart and it will help you so much. Delve into forums about your phone in addition to this forum in your 'spare' time and you'll get it figured out. I'm sorry it's a hassle.
You've got this.

I think there's a learning curve here that you are dealing with. And, okay, let me just say you are operating under stress so learning about and configuring a new device is extra challenging. You are also brand new to smart phones, not just this particular phone.
Once you figure it out, the smart phone really will be smart and it will help you so much. Delve into forums about your phone in addition to this forum in your 'spare' time and you'll get it figured out. I'm sorry it's a hassle.
You've got this..
seashanty said:
You've got this.
I think I'm just old. I used to grouse about people like me who couldn't/wouldn't just figure it out! I am not running to the store for every new thing. I get used to the stuff I have (I've had my tablet for 5 years!) and I don't want to change.
But, yeah, there's a lot going on right now and nothing sticks in my memory.
(OK, here's a laugh - I play trivia on my tablet and there are questions that show up in every round about the planets. Last night I drew up a chart, wrote down all the facts about the usual questions that show up on the game, and told Gomez, 'that game is not going to beat me about planets!' It helped. Now I need to write down major British battles and who was king/queen during what years. I'll cede the game philosophers because I'll never get those right.)

Back