Changing room layouts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the title of this "Changing Room" layouts.
Business guests want a king bed? That is unusual.
If it were me, I would wait until the season is over, and compare the king room you now have vs this room. I would look at the inns nearby, do many of them offer more than one bed per room? Do you feel looking at it that they achieve more business due to less kids? Or less business due to accepting kids? (this, meaning by the room configuration only, not the policies). Do you feel the multiple beds in a room is booked more for one night stays vs multiples? (I ask as I would think so, that is just a guess of course)
Will the cost of a new bed and mattress set pay for itself, or will you actually be losing more money by investing in the king set? Will you also need to be purchasing all new linens/quilts etc.
I would wait and evaluate it all in Nov or Dec.

If it were me, I would wait until the season is over, and compare the king room you now have vs this room. I would look at the inns nearby, do many of them offer more than one bed per room? Do you feel looking at it that they achieve more business due to less kids? Or less business due to accepting kids? (this, meaning by the room configuration only, not the policies). Do you feel the multiple beds in a room is booked more for one night stays vs multiples? (I ask as I would think so, that is just a guess of course)
Will the cost of a new bed and mattress set pay for itself, or will you actually be losing more money by investing in the king set? Will you also need to be purchasing all new linens/quilts etc.
I would wait and evaluate it all in Nov or Dec..
Good points about other inns. I think we get about the same number of room nights as other places in town (with varying bed configurations) with the exception of one that has gone high end. They are booked solid.
Kids vs no kids is a tricky one. You know we have to take them if we have the room. No one can say 'no kids' and everyone does say that kids are welcome altho some have put an age limit on that of around 10 yo.
And that just made the decision on where the king bed goes...where I DON'T want the kids! That actually may be the most important aspect of where to eliminate the twin bed. :)
No, business guests do not ask for king beds. (But I always try for a king bed when I travel alone! I love being able to spread out the books, mags & laptop!)
I will have to look at how I can generate reports that answer all the questions we have.

If summer is your high season for rates, and king beds are in demand at that time, then go for the king. I wish we had the room for a king bed....I know we lose a certain amount of business because we only offer queen beds..
It's all over the place. Parents & kids in the summer, winter, all seasons. Girlfriends all year. Lots of moms and daughters will share a king bed. Or have 2 beds, whichever.
I guess I need to set up a tally sheet right now. 'King bed only, doesn't want 2 beds,' '2 beds only, don't want to share a bed,' 'No, we don't want a room with 2 beds.'
Can you do the thing of joining 2 twins or whatever together to make a king? Then you have the option.
EmptyNest said:
Can you do the thing of joining 2 twins or whatever together to make a king? Then you have the option.
I could and that might work. I would need two x-long twins and then a place to store the assorted bedding that wasn't in use. It would also be tricky then with the chairs. I'd have to remove them when the room was set up as twin. But I have thought about this.
It's odd, people will call and ask for 2 twin beds but won't take a queen and a twin. Fairness? I don't know.

I would wait and evaluate it all in Nov or Dec..
Good points about other inns. I think we get about the same number of room nights as other places in town (with varying bed configurations) with the exception of one that has gone high end. They are booked solid.
Kids vs no kids is a tricky one. You know we have to take them if we have the room. No one can say 'no kids' and everyone does say that kids are welcome altho some have put an age limit on that of around 10 yo.
And that just made the decision on where the king bed goes...where I DON'T want the kids! That actually may be the most important aspect of where to eliminate the twin bed. :)
No, business guests do not ask for king beds. (But I always try for a king bed when I travel alone! I love being able to spread out the books, mags & laptop!)
I will have to look at how I can generate reports that answer all the questions we have.
Madeleine said:
But I always try for a king bed when I travel alone! I love being able to spread out the books, mags & laptop!
Me too. I used to like to have 2 beds so I could spread my stuff out on the extra bed, but now I much prefer a king so I can spread myself out as I sleep. I use the whole king bed in the course of the night. For me, that's the feeling of luxury, having so much more bed space than I really need!

What about a king with one of these in the reading nook. (this one was $$$ but the first one I found with a pic, have seen them at 1/3 of this price)

What about a king with one of these in the reading nook. (this one was $$$ but the first one I found with a pic, have seen them at 1/3 of this price).
copperhead said:
What about a king with one of these in the reading nook. (this one was $$$ but the first one I found with a pic, have seen them at 1/3 of this price)
Better come in a faux leather version cause Maddie knows what they'll be doing on it. I was VERY happy to find great faux aged leather queen-sized sofa beds for my rooms. No cloth seating for this old boy. I take Maddie's word for it.

Here's our replacement for the old iron day bed that was in this room. It's from IKEA
starligh%20sofa.jpg

The sofa section pulls forward to reveal storage, then the back folds down. It becomes a double bed and there is no uncomfortable bar to lay on. I store all the linens in the hidden storage area.
It was about $600

What about a king with one of these in the reading nook. (this one was $$$ but the first one I found with a pic, have seen them at 1/3 of this price).
Similar to what we have and they are not good to sleep on. I had to pad and put a board under the mattress.

Ikea Hemnes, perfect as a single, turns into a short king in emergencies and has two drawers to store the linens.

Thanks for all the ideas! By now you must realize I am as slothful as the day is long so anything that requires me to build a bed for different accommodations every day will not work here. I have no place to store bedding for the different layouts.
Putting in a foldout couch will end up with the same disaster I had before with the day bed. Plus, there is no room for a foldout.
I think I have a good idea of what we're going to do next year. So, photos in Jan!

If you are looking for home decor accessories and ideas to decorate your home,then click here . I started a home decor site just to give everyone a helpful place of getting home decor.

Back