Charge a cleaning fee?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who guessed the cleaning fee would be challenged? Bingo.
Should just have charged the whole thing and called it a day.
I'm getting as much push back as if it was the whole thing..
At this point, I would say, "you're right, there should be no cleaning fee, there should be the whole fee, as you agreed to in the first place. I tried to be understanding, but you have made me realize, I need to stick to the policies. Thank you. "
jmj said:
At this point, I would say, "you're right, there should be no cleaning fee, there should be the whole fee, as you agreed to in the first place. I tried to be understanding, but you have made me realize, I need to stick to the policies. Thank you. "
If the guest explains their problem, and leaves it at that, and the innkeeper feels that giving them a break from the usual policy, or a voucher for a future stay, is appropriate in that case, then sure, give them a break.
But if it's the guest demanding all their money back, that would and should create a situation much less conducive to giving them a break.
People should learn that "demanding" is counterproductive for them, especially when they've already agreed to the terms and don't have a leg to stand on.
Arks said:
jmj said:
If the guest explains their problem, and leaves it at that, and the innkeeper feels that giving them a break from the usual policy, or a voucher for a future stay, is appropriate in that case, then sure, give them a break.
But if it's the guest demanding all their money back, that would and should create a situation much less conducive to giving them a break.
People should learn that "demanding" is counterproductive for them, especially when they've already agreed to the terms and don't have a leg to stand on.
PLUS - she actually used the room. She may not have slept there the whole night, but she took possession and messed the place up!
This had been going back and forth for 2 days now. Them insisting they never "used" the room, us being the ones who had to clean the mess they left.
It's times like these I wish I worked for someone else and I got to go home at night and forget this nonsense. (Then I remember the corporate nonsense and the 2 am phone calls and the unhappy clients and I'm ok again.)
It's the 10 year slump I think. You're all gung ho the first few years, then you get a bunch of nasty guests and you get discouraged; then you get your second wind and cruise along for a few more years; then the ugly rears its head again and you have to regroup.
We're regrouping this year. Next few years should be great! Like giving birth (or having a kidney stone) you forget the pain and laugh at the silliness after awhile.
Your right your all gung ho at first. But then you wise up.
Then you say oh well , then you say to h e l l no bloody way!!!!
. You use you pay simple as that . You may scream all you want and throw a temper tamper, But I have proof you used the room that simple. Next time you try and pull this off on another innkeeper you know we don't stand for this. Iam sorry you are unhappy... that is the reality of using the room and leaving for what ever you felt you had to leave for. But we could not rent it out in that short notice. Man after a number of years now I just will not stand for stone walling. Life is sweet if you are not bullied.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
PLUS - she actually used the room. She may not have slept there the whole night, but she took possession and messed the place up!
This had been going back and forth for 2 days now. Them insisting they never "used" the room, us being the ones who had to clean the mess they left.
It's times like these I wish I worked for someone else and I got to go home at night and forget this nonsense. (Then I remember the corporate nonsense and the 2 am phone calls and the unhappy clients and I'm ok again.)
It's the 10 year slump I think. You're all gung ho the first few years, then you get a bunch of nasty guests and you get discouraged; then you get your second wind and cruise along for a few more years; then the ugly rears its head again and you have to regroup.
We're regrouping this year. Next few years should be great! Like giving birth (or having a kidney stone) you forget the pain and laugh at the silliness after awhile.
. You use you pay simple as that . You may scream all you want and throw a temper tamper, But I have proof you used the room that simple. Next time you try and pull this off on another innkeeper you know we don't stand for this. Iam sorry you are unhappy... that is the reality of using the room and leaving for what ever you felt you had to leave for. But we could not rent it out in that short notice. Man after a number of years now I just will not stand for stone walling. Life is sweet if you are not bullied.
I'm actually finding it a lot more relaxing now that I know the email harassment is over. Some people just have more time to waste than I do.
Maybe I need to grow a spine but maybe it's not worth fighting.
Each case is different.
They were never coming back. I'm not building bridges nor burning them. I'm just doing what's best for my family in not dealing with this day in and day out. And then dealing with the CC processor. Forever.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
this may change, but for now, DH and I have the attitude that the money is coming in, so if someone is a jerk, we can live without that person's money. We are 100% full every weekend and 40 - 60% full during the week. So arguing with jerks is just a waste of time.
We enjoy the nice people. And thre have been sooo many!
You're right to shake it off and forget the pain!
and speaking of nice people and cleaning fees, we had a return guest who specifies a certain room and only wants to stay there. they even mentioned that they looked at the house when it was for sale and want to move to the area.
so we kind of made friends. I was feeling pretty good about new friends and return guests when they left.
until DH cleaned the room. Pizza box and papers all over. Pizza sauce on the bedspread, on the floor, all over the microwave. Bottles, junk....he said he'd never seen a messier, dirtier room.
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
and speaking of nice people and cleaning fees, we had a return guest who specifies a certain room and only wants to stay there. they even mentioned that they looked at the house when it was for sale and want to move to the area.
so we kind of made friends. I was feeling pretty good about new friends and return guests when they left.
until DH cleaned the room. Pizza box and papers all over. Pizza sauce on the bedspread, on the floor, all over the microwave. Bottles, junk....he said he'd never seen a messier, dirtier room.
some friends! LOL
Doesn't it hurt more? I know the Po's here finally threw in the towel after realizing that the inmates were running the asylum. The repeats we got from them who had run roughshod over them haven't been back since we gave them the new policies.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
this may change, but for now, DH and I have the attitude that the money is coming in, so if someone is a jerk, we can live without that person's money. We are 100% full every weekend and 40 - 60% full during the week. So arguing with jerks is just a waste of time.
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
Pizza sauce on the bedspread, on the floor, all over the microwave. Bottles, junk....he said he'd never seen a messier, dirtier room.
some friends! LOL
You will find some friends in the mix. I have a pair of business guests who have been coming 4 times a year for 7 years. Roger is really funny. He loves to read the local paper and has a running commentary about our local miscreants (the paper devotes an entire page to the police blotter). I tell him when they come it's just like the circus coming to town. His partner is such a good guest that when I go in to fluff her room it looks like no one had been in there. They let me know how much breakfast they want before I cook too much, and at times they too are entertained by other B&B guests, just like I am.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
I'm actually finding it a lot more relaxing now that I know the email harassment is over. Some people just have more time to waste than I do.
Each case is different.
They were never coming back. I'm not building bridges nor burning them. I'm just doing what's best for my family in not dealing with this day in and day out. And then dealing with the CC processor. Forever.
Ya know...I started thinking back to what my husband used to say when I wanted to "enforce" the rule. he would say, why cause yourself the grief. Just let it go and move on. not worth it. of course he was right.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
Ya know...I started thinking back to what my husband used to say when I wanted to "enforce" the rule. he would say, why cause yourself the grief. Just let it go and move on. not worth it. of course he was right.
EmptyNest said:
I was thinking of you and your DH's comments.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
EmptyNest said:
Depends on one's mood, I guess. Some times you just want to stand up to the "takers" of the world and make your point, and sometimes it's not worth it to you. Case by case basis. Unless you're my sister. She NEVER lets ANYTHING go!!!

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
Another thing...right after we decided this was not worth going back and forth over we got 6 reservations, one right after the other. And a walk-in.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
EmptyNest said:
Depends on one's mood, I guess. Some times you just want to stand up to the "takers" of the world and make your point, and sometimes it's not worth it to you. Case by case basis. Unless you're my sister. She NEVER lets ANYTHING go!!!
Arks said:
She NEVER lets ANYTHING go!!!
Did she 'stay' here last weekend?

To balance the negative vibe this silliness caused I was out picking up some stuff for a package and I came across something a really sweet guest mentioned to me earlier in the day. I bought it for her. It was a little nothing really but it made the ranter fade that much more from memory.
Someone else is celebrating a birthday tomorrow so there will be singing and candles at breakfast. (Staying HERE was her gift from her husband!)

To balance the negative vibe this silliness caused I was out picking up some stuff for a package and I came across something a really sweet guest mentioned to me earlier in the day. I bought it for her. It was a little nothing really but it made the ranter fade that much more from memory.
Someone else is celebrating a birthday tomorrow so there will be singing and candles at breakfast. (Staying HERE was her gift from her husband!).
Madeleine said:
Staying HERE was her gift from her husband!
thumbs_up.gif

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
EmptyNest said:
Arks said:
She NEVER lets ANYTHING go!!!
Madeleine said:
No, you'd be in therapy if she had.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
Each case is different.
Sometimes writing it off is the best choice. Some people are so wrapped in their own misery that they feel compelled to pull you down with them.
In our first year, here, we had a lady exuded this misery as she arrived. To make a long story short, she sent in her partner and I allowed them to cancel at no charge but noted that they were persona non grata for the future. I did it so that she wouldn't ruin the weekend of all my other guests. She had managed to ruin her partner's weekend for the equivalent of about $15.
I have never had a moment of regret. And I don't think you will have one either. It could have been worse... she could have stayed!

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Doesn't it hurt more? I know the Po's here finally threw in the towel after realizing that the inmates were running the asylum. The repeats we got from them who had run roughshod over them haven't been back since we gave them the new policies.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Another repeat guest is quibbling because DH said he'd give them the same discounted rate that PO gave them. But after he added in the room tax, it was more than she'd expected. He explained the room tax and she kept saying, but you said you'd give us the same rate.....
Yeah.....PLUS room tax. And next time, you get the advertised rate.
As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished!

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Another repeat guest is quibbling because DH said he'd give them the same discounted rate that PO gave them. But after he added in the room tax, it was more than she'd expected. He explained the room tax and she kept saying, but you said you'd give us the same rate.....
Is it really worth the argument?
You might want to consider accepting it, graciously. And make a note to never offer them another discount (at all) in the future... they win for the moment, but they don't in the end and you can sell to someone who will pay you full rate next year.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
You might want to consider accepting it, graciously. And make a note to never offer them another discount (at all) in the future... they win for the moment, but they don't in the end and you can sell to someone who will pay you full rate next year.
Jon Sable said:
That's exactly what DH did. We're not into bad feelings over a few bucks.

jmj said:
Arks said:
jmj said:
some friends! LOL
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
some friends! LOL
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Jon Sable said:
One of the guests we inherited had negotiated a $100 discount with the PO for one of the busiest weekends we have in the summer.
They had no proof of this. We had no proof of this except a penciled note in the guest book.
When we sent out the reconfirmation notices with the standard rate I think they called us from their mailbox, we heard back so quickly!
It was quite the conversation dh had with him. We honored the discount but the following year we held the line. He said our prices were outrageous, hotels were charging much less (they were charging twice the amount and with a 3 night min) so we told him to call around if he was unhappy.
Why were we so hard-line the second year? His daughter. She said, in front of me, "Daddy, I want to stay here next year. It's much nicer than the other place."
They ended up staying with us for 5 years, even after daddy died. We really liked him. It was very sad when died. People like him, people who push for what's best for them, but who also understand business, helped us grow as business owners.

Back