Charging a fair price?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone for your comments. Several of you have touched on things that I know need some attention..(clearer pricing, online booking etc.,) I do struggle when it comes to updating my website. I have had "help" with it but obviously not the right kind of help. I have tried to learn how to do upgrades and alterations myself but I do have a struggle as I lack the necessary computer skills it seems.
Some of you have made some really good suggestions and others have opened my eyes to how my potential guests see me. I made some minor alterations to my web site back in the winter but see now there has to be some major changes made.
I have to say, I was very disappointed with my web designer and am seeking help to revamp things as we speak.
Due to some major health issues (Lyme Disease) I have limited energy so things don't always get done when they should be done as regards to advertising and keeping my web site updated.
I have considered packing everything in and selling out but I would really like to keep things going for a couple more years if I can.
I welcome further comments and input if anyone out there has something to add.
Anyway, thank you all again, I will be giving every comment consideration and making some of the changes you have suggested.
Sandie. (Swingate Gardens).
Sandie,
I love your uTube video. It shows a wonderful place. Don't pack it in yet.
Make getting the pricing conveyed in a simpler way your top priority, then work on your website. I'm a digital ignoramus, so I don't think I'd tackle the website on my own. Web savvy people all seem to say that Wordpress has made web building much easier which may mean that your web guy needs help with the specific content you need. If you make a specific list of the changes that need to be made, all in writing, you should be able to hold your web guy's feet to the fire. Write out exactly what you want each page to say, then pick out the photos you want to add and if they need to be cropped, he can do that.
If you detect push back from him then look for another web person.
There are online booking programs that are inexpensive enough for you to add to the website if you can figure out how to make the reservation process clear enough. Right now the best support (that is, the reservation computer guy talking to your web builder guy) comes from Reservation Key. If you can't figure out how to do it online, make it clear on the website that your property is so special that it's worth their time to call you to reserve exactly what parts of the house they need.
Best of luck to you

Aloha Sandie,
I am so impressed with the amazing amount of valuable tips my fellow inn mates have provided.
What I got from your initial post and follow up was that there are a lot of mixed messages. Consequently, it caused me to reflect upon our business growth over the last nine years. In particular, I am reminded what happens when we sit back without a plan compared to when we create an active business plan with goals. It has taken all the guess work out of what we should do next. Then it is just a matter of time and resources to implement what's next. I know it's an oversimplification, but I do think backing up and developing a quick and simple business plan will go a long ways towards what to do and how to prioritize it all.

Back