Cheapest Room Availability?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my case, the cheap room is the smallest, and only has one small window and thus, to me, feels much less open, more closed in, almost claustrophobic, compared with the others. It's just not quite worth what the others are.
At the same time, there have been zero complaints and plenty of nice compliments by people who seemed to love staying in the room, so perhaps JB is right, just raise the rate to match the others.
On the other hand, since it's smaller it's probably a little easier to clean than the others, so pushing people into the others brings a little more cleaning work. But the others bring in a little more money. So many factors!
Needs more thought..
Arks said:
In my case, the cheap room is the smallest, and only has one small window and thus, to me, feels much less open, more closed in, almost claustrophobic, compared with the others. It's just not quite worth what the others are.
At the same time, there have been zero complaints and plenty of nice compliments by people who seemed to love staying in the room, so perhaps JB is right, just raise the rate to match the others.
On the other hand, since it's smaller it's probably a little easier to clean than the others, so pushing people into the others brings a little more cleaning work. But the others bring in a little more money. So many factors!
Needs more thought.
It could simply be birth order.
You have it listed in a way that people see it and book it. You use a word that is more appealing, a photo that makes it look bigger or anything at all, or it seems about the same and is less, so book it! In person I find that when we have diff rates we spend all of our time explaining why they are diff and I often wondered if we just made them all the same, even with diff amenities and shapes an sizes what would happen.
I know b-com and those just think of the rooms as rooms, we give them all personalities from the artwork to the bed linens.
I looked quickly and saw that the "next one up" in the price range is diff to the others, they all show beds and it shows an entry/foyer as the main image on rezkey.
and then on the rates page you show the less priced room with a beautiful Jacuzzi bath.
and on the comparison chart there are two others with similar sizes and cost $10 more, so I would pick the least priced too. I would raise it and make them the same. That is my thought.
JBloggs said:
...on the comparison chart there are two others with similar sizes and cost $10 more, so I would pick the least priced too. I would raise it and make them the same. That is my thought.
One of the $10-more rooms has a Sanijet tub rated for 1 person, but the smaller, cheaper room has a larger Sanijet rated for 2 people. That was part of my plan to make the smaller room a little more attractive. So I think you've convinced me! I'll raise the cheap one to match the other two. It's worth it! The other two will just become slight bargains in comparison!
I am glad you made it the same...what does $10 matter? Gheez! Now if there were a $50 difference, then I could see it...but make them all the same.
All our rooms are the same price for us. Only one price to remember for any given room, they all change with the season together. If someone is trying to get a better price we don't feel like we are losing money if we give them the smallest one at a discount. One guest figured it out while he was in the foyer when I checked a guest in so he waited until that guest was in their room and questioned me on it. "Well, figure that out, I'm asking for the best room in the house next time! I didn't ask for that room because I didn't want to pay more." When he came back a couple weeks later in the best room, he gloated at check in to me about the deal he got this time!
We have one room that people call to book. If it isn't available, they will come another time when it is. We raised the price by $50 for this summer.

Needs more thought..
Arks said:
Needs more thought.
You have it listed in a way that people see it and book it. You use a word that is more appealing, a photo that makes it look bigger or anything at all, or it seems about the same and is less, so book it! In person I find that when we have diff rates we spend all of our time explaining why they are diff and I often wondered if we just made them all the same, even with diff amenities and shapes an sizes what would happen.
I know b-com and those just think of the rooms as rooms, we give them all personalities from the artwork to the bed linens.
I looked quickly and saw that the "next one up" in the price range is diff to the others, they all show beds and it shows an entry/foyer as the main image on rezkey.
and then on the rates page you show the less priced room with a beautiful Jacuzzi bath.
and on the comparison chart there are two others with similar sizes and cost $10 more, so I would pick the least priced too. I would raise it and make them the same. That is my thought.
JBloggs said:
...on the comparison chart there are two others with similar sizes and cost $10 more, so I would pick the least priced too. I would raise it and make them the same. That is my thought.
One of the $10-more rooms has a Sanijet tub rated for 1 person, but the smaller, cheaper room has a larger Sanijet rated for 2 people. That was part of my plan to make the smaller room a little more attractive. So I think you've convinced me! I'll raise the cheap one to match the other two. It's worth it! The other two will just become slight bargains in comparison!
I am glad you made it the same...what does $10 matter? Gheez! Now if there were a $50 difference, then I could see it...but make them all the same.
All our rooms are the same price for us. Only one price to remember for any given room, they all change with the season together. If someone is trying to get a better price we don't feel like we are losing money if we give them the smallest one at a discount. One guest figured it out while he was in the foyer when I checked a guest in so he waited until that guest was in their room and questioned me on it. "Well, figure that out, I'm asking for the best room in the house next time! I didn't ask for that room because I didn't want to pay more." When he came back a couple weeks later in the best room, he gloated at check in to me about the deal he got this time!
We have one room that people call to book. If it isn't available, they will come another time when it is. We raised the price by $50 for this summer.
TheBeachHouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

Same experience here. Five rooms total, basic rate ranges from $165-$195 with $10 increments. One of our $165 rooms accounts for one third of our total occupancy. It is a nice room:420 ft.², king bed, riverside, gas fireplace, private bath – but the bath only has one sink (all the others have two) and has a fiberglass shower enclosure (the others are tiled, or have tubs). It is one of two rooms where we allow dogs, so that increases bookings.
The $195 room is also nice: almost 500 ft.², king bed, private jetted tub, vaulted 10 foot ceiling. Its occupancy is about 40% of the other room. It is perceived as a higher value, mainly because of its higher price. It is often booked for special occasions such as by a newlywed couple, or by people who naturally go high-end. Interestingly, over 80% of our Tesla owner guests booked this room.
When we have events, such as this weekend for Valentine's Day, or sometimes during the winter weekdays, will sell all rooms at the same price – $150. Guess what? The normally $195 room amounts to almost half our bookings.
we have talked about changing rates, but it seems to me from conversations with guests that having a really nice room at our lowest price gives them the impression that they have made a "find" and seems to be a deciding factor in a couple's decision to stay here. He/she: "come on honey, let's just stay at the Holiday Inn"; she/he: "no, look at this website, it's their cheapest room and is way nicer."

Let me ask this about that - our rooms do have differences that equate to different prices - size of room, fireplaces, etc. (Range is $30 difference now vs $50 diff in season.)
If all the prices are the same (I was thinking an odd month like March, just to test it out) - do you think there will be more grumbling than usual when someone realizes they 'could have had' a really big room with a fireplace for the same price as a pokey room without a fireplace if they'd only called earlier? And then the whine about reducing the price of the room that's left?
To make it equitable for US, we'd need to raise the price on the smaller rooms while lowering the price on the rooms with most amenities to come up with something in the middle. We do have guests that take a smaller room even when offered a larger room at the same price. They want what they want. But, are there enough of them out there?
Just curious what you think. As a traveler as well as an innkeeper and knowing the sorts of things I tend to hear on any given day. ;-)

Needs more thought..
Arks said:
Needs more thought.
JBloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Will be really interested to hear how the bookings go for that room with the price increase.

Let me ask this about that - our rooms do have differences that equate to different prices - size of room, fireplaces, etc. (Range is $30 difference now vs $50 diff in season.)
If all the prices are the same (I was thinking an odd month like March, just to test it out) - do you think there will be more grumbling than usual when someone realizes they 'could have had' a really big room with a fireplace for the same price as a pokey room without a fireplace if they'd only called earlier? And then the whine about reducing the price of the room that's left?
To make it equitable for US, we'd need to raise the price on the smaller rooms while lowering the price on the rooms with most amenities to come up with something in the middle. We do have guests that take a smaller room even when offered a larger room at the same price. They want what they want. But, are there enough of them out there?
Just curious what you think. As a traveler as well as an innkeeper and knowing the sorts of things I tend to hear on any given day. ;-).
Our rooms are so different that pricing them the same would not work. When someone books I tell them that the rates reflect the amount of privacy, size and amenities in the rooms and then I give them an example based on whether they are considering one of the suites or the cottage.
Personally, I would rather have the innkeeper explain what I am getting for my $$ than to be disappointed. If I know that there is value for extra money spent I am more willing to go for it, assuming the amenity is something I want. A 2-person jet tub....no. A king-size bed...yes.

Just curious what you think. As a traveler as well as an innkeeper and knowing the sorts of things I tend to hear on any given day. ;-).
Our rooms are all on the big size. Our smallest is big, so maybe that how it works for us. Our worst room is not the smallest, but its the last book and gets the worst star rates on air.
If it wasn't for that room, we could be super host on air!

Our rooms are all on the big size. Our smallest is big, so maybe that how it works for us. Our worst room is not the smallest, but its the last book and gets the worst star rates on air.
Duff2014 said:
So, this begs the question - why list that room on air? What comments does it get and can any of them be resolved? If not, why not remove the room from listing there?

As a traveler I'm a usually a cheapskate, if a room is clean and reasonably comfortable that's all I need so probably not likely to want to pay more for fancy, we're just simple folks.
As an innkeeper I hope all of our rooms are clean, cute and comfortable, the main difference is size/sleeping spaces which ranges from one queen, two queens, two queens and a twin, most guests choosing by the size of the family group. During a busy time a guest may pay for a larger room than needed if nothing else was available (hopefully still more reasonable than some competition), during a slower time some choose the larger room by choice or it may suit our need to give them something extra and offer an upgrade to the bigger room.

Look at it this way...
Have you ever been listed on a list of B&B's, you see #1 and then the middle are lost then you see the last one.
1. Apples Bed and Breakfast
2. Oranges Bed and Breakfast
3. Strawberries Bed and Breakfast
4. Bananas Bed and Breakfast
And so somehow you say to yourself if I can't be in the #1 slot I would rather be at the end... I think there is a ton of psychology to how we list and what we say.
Some B&B's describe the colors of their rooms on their online reservation program which I never get, but maybe there is a trick to that. I always figure the photos describe the colors. But how you word it will certainly affect how someone perceives the room. Like we have discussed here so many times "quaint" seems to mean small in people's minds, which is not actually the case:
quaint
kwānt/Submit
adjective
attractively unusual or old-fashioned.
"quaint country cottages"
synonyms: picturesque, charming, sweet, attractive, old-fashioned, old-world,etc
But if you offer a king bed in three rooms, why choose the more expensive room when I really am just after a king bed? Unless one offers a view and the two others do not. Or one offers a shower and the other two offer a clawfoot tub? If they seem the same I will go less priced every time.
Look forward to seeing what happens...

In March I plan to adjust rates. The 2 mid-range rooms will go up $5, and the cheapest room, that's currently $10 less than mid-range, will go up $15 to match the other two. Then we'll see.

Look at it this way...
Have you ever been listed on a list of B&B's, you see #1 and then the middle are lost then you see the last one.
1. Apples Bed and Breakfast
2. Oranges Bed and Breakfast
3. Strawberries Bed and Breakfast
4. Bananas Bed and Breakfast
And so somehow you say to yourself if I can't be in the #1 slot I would rather be at the end... I think there is a ton of psychology to how we list and what we say.
Some B&B's describe the colors of their rooms on their online reservation program which I never get, but maybe there is a trick to that. I always figure the photos describe the colors. But how you word it will certainly affect how someone perceives the room. Like we have discussed here so many times "quaint" seems to mean small in people's minds, which is not actually the case:
quaint
kwānt/Submit
adjective
attractively unusual or old-fashioned.
"quaint country cottages"
synonyms: picturesque, charming, sweet, attractive, old-fashioned, old-world,etc
But if you offer a king bed in three rooms, why choose the more expensive room when I really am just after a king bed? Unless one offers a view and the two others do not. Or one offers a shower and the other two offer a clawfoot tub? If they seem the same I will go less priced every time.
Look forward to seeing what happens....
You know us - alphabetically challenged. I think the same way when I see someone has deliberately named their biz 'aardvark' or '1 more time' to be at the top. I move on to anotherd listing. And, yes, your brain blanks out looking at a long list.
We're definitely testing the theory, tho, being at the bottom of TA right now. And the results so far? You don't want to be there. We had plenty of days since we plummeted where the places ahead of us were full and we were empty.
I lowered our prices, not below the lowest place, but lower than we had been before. I've stretched the off season another two weeks.

Duff2014 said:
So, this begs the question - why list that room on air? What comments does it get and can any of them be resolved? If not, why not remove the room from listing there?
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
We have talked about it...... There are two in our area that are super hosts with only one review each... We just have too many guests to be super host!!!!!!!!!!!

Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
We have talked about it...... There are two in our area that are super hosts with only one review each... We just have too many guests to be super host!!!!!!!!!!!
Huh, we are a "Super Host"
Last night got a direct reservation for four cottages for a full week each from a guest who came to us last year for a few days via AirBnB, and wants to bring their whole family back this year for a reunion...

Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Last night got a direct reservation for four cottages for a full week each from a guest who came to us last year for a few days via AirBnB, and wants to bring their whole family back this year for a reunion...
OnTheShore said:
Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you and trying not to be jealous! We always in the running and the last week a guest leave a "all across four star" review and it drops us just under the line. Grrr! Every time!

Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Yay!

Duff2014 said:
Morticia said:
What comments does it get and can any of them be resolved?
Its the star placement. The reviews are fine. You have to have so much in each category like so many five stars, etc. to make super host. We fall short every time.

Back