Checking out of room, but not house?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scribbles said:
Hey there, hubby & I are on our first year as innkeepers of a 4-guest-room heritage home. We share the whole house, so personal space is very minimal. Today's question:
We booked today as a purposeful "day off" (no one checking in tonight) after a month-and-half of nonstop bookings. Looking forward to the house to ourselves, a kind of quiet romantic afternoon & evening. Had a nice couple stay last couple of days, returning guests from last several years (with other managers). After breakfast on check-out day today, they announced that they would pack up and check out of their room, but were going to stay round the house until 4pm when they had to leave to go catch their flight. As familiar returning guests, I felt awkward insisting that check-out is at 11am (check out of HOUSE!) --- so I just smiled and said OK, grumbling on inside. Hubby is more easygoing and feels that it's worth appeasing returning guests a few hours' time.
Your thoughts??
We made the same 'rookie' mistake. We've been doing this for almost a year and the first time someone asked for a late checkout we said, "sure!" They said, "good, probably around 3." We quietly said, "doh!"
Lesson learned, when they say "late check out" we say, "what time did you have in mind?" Or even better, "I can do it until noon, but I'm afraid I have appointments after that."
Welcome!! What part of the country are you in? I am coastal New England..
We've dealt with these rookie mistakes too! What bothers me even more are the people that arrive at 9 am for their reservation.. even though check-in is not until 3!
I had a guy call yesterday and ask how early he could arrive for a reservation next week, because he works nights. I kind of frown to myself, beginning to wonder where this this headed, and explain that our check-in time is 3pm. If a guest arrives a bit early and the room is ready, we are happy to allow the guest to check-in early, but it really depends on our availability and whether the housekeepers have had sufficient time to finish the room. We can't guarantee any check-in earlier than 2 pm. He asks what he would have to do to be able to check into the room at 9 am, and I told him he would have to pay for the previous night. He starts getting upset and is like "Are you serious?? If the room is empty the night before, why can't I check-in at 9?" And I slap my head... Oh, so I guess I should just go ahead and block the room now and not take any last minute reservations (which we get a LOT of) because "Mr. Important" wants to check in at 9 am. Shesh... You can't win with some of these people...

scribbles said:
Hey there, hubby & I are on our first year as innkeepers of a 4-guest-room heritage home. We share the whole house, so personal space is very minimal. Today's question:
We booked today as a purposeful "day off" (no one checking in tonight) after a month-and-half of nonstop bookings. Looking forward to the house to ourselves, a kind of quiet romantic afternoon & evening. Had a nice couple stay last couple of days, returning guests from last several years (with other managers). After breakfast on check-out day today, they announced that they would pack up and check out of their room, but were going to stay round the house until 4pm when they had to leave to go catch their flight. As familiar returning guests, I felt awkward insisting that check-out is at 11am (check out of HOUSE!) --- so I just smiled and said OK, grumbling on inside. Hubby is more easygoing and feels that it's worth appeasing returning guests a few hours' time.
Your thoughts??
We made the same 'rookie' mistake. We've been doing this for almost a year and the first time someone asked for a late checkout we said, "sure!" They said, "good, probably around 3." We quietly said, "doh!"
Lesson learned, when they say "late check out" we say, "what time did you have in mind?" Or even better, "I can do it until noon, but I'm afraid I have appointments after that."
We've dealt with these rookie mistakes too! What bothers me even more are the people that arrive at 9 am for their reservation.. even though check-in is not until 3!
I had a guy call yesterday and ask how early he could arrive for a reservation next week, because he works nights. I kind of frown to myself, beginning to wonder where this this headed, and explain that our check-in time is 3pm. If a guest arrives a bit early and the room is ready, we are happy to allow the guest to check-in early, but it really depends on our availability and whether the housekeepers have had sufficient time to finish the room. We can't guarantee any check-in earlier than 2 pm. He asks what he would have to do to be able to check into the room at 9 am, and I told him he would have to pay for the previous night. He starts getting upset and is like "Are you serious?? If the room is empty the night before, why can't I check-in at 9?" And I slap my head... Oh, so I guess I should just go ahead and block the room now and not take any last minute reservations (which we get a LOT of) because "Mr. Important" wants to check in at 9 am. Shesh... You can't win with some of these people...
And with online booking the guests check the night before and arm themselves with, 'my room was open last night so you have no reason to not let me in right now.'
I hate those people.
I think I'm going to block all the rooms when I close the office at night.

Speaking as someone who has checked out but had a late afternoon plane flight, I'd say it was very nice of you to let them hang around the public areas of the house. Their only option would be to sit in an airport lounge for hours.
I can see where it would be a problem for you if you otherwise had an empty house and alone time, but they probably assumed you had other guests anyway, and they wouldn't be much trouble.
Put me down as one who will accommodate guests when I can, even if it's not what I'd really like to do..
Heading to the airport early is never a guests only option. They would prefer to stay at the inn and relax but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't leave at checkout time. They could go sit in a lovely coffee shop or restaurant or grab some to-go food/drinks and stop at a park or take a walk around the lake, etc. There are almost always things for a guest to do outside of the property they are visiting so they should honor the checkout time.
We got a jerk one time who at checkout said that he was going to put his stuff in the car but that he had planned on staying around for the day ("until 4pm or so") and relax on the deck. At that time we had no public restroom so where was he going to go. That also meant that he'd be enjoying the cookies and sodas and beer that we had available for guests of course without paying for another day so I'd have to make extra just for him. My husband told him that he was sorry that we had to clean and lots of stuff to do and that he'd have to leave. He left us a bad review on TA saying that for $250 a night he should be able to stay until he wanted. My reply on TA said exactly what another guest who was here later that day said "When you go to the Fenway Park and the game is over, out you go. You don't get to stay until you want to." Many people quoted that to us at checkin for a few months.
I'm a kind person but I hate assuming a**holes who think their happiness is more important than mine or that of my other guests.

Like most others I'd have told a fib to get rid of them.
They must have known they'd have a day to kill when they booked and it's a bit presumptuous to assume you can continue to use the Inns facilities after check out. As has been said before "A guests inability to plan, does not constitute a problem for me"..
Highlands John said:
Like most others I'd have told a fib to get rid of them.
They must have known they'd have a day to kill when they booked and it's a bit presumptuous to assume you can continue to use the Inns facilities after check out. As has been said before "A guests inability to plan, does not constitute a problem for me".
Of course next question is, can I use the restroom? and then, we ordered lunch, can we eat it here?
TheBeachHouse said:
Of course next question is, can I use the restroom?
They get a firm no from me on that one and get directed to the public facility down the road.

A mid level answer is, I can hold your luggage for you and you are welcome to leave your car in the driveway, but I'm afraid I need to clean during these hours..
TheBeachHouse said:
A mid level answer is, I can hold your luggage for you and you are welcome to leave your car in the driveway, but I'm afraid I need to clean during these hours.
A nice offer, but even then it's an imposition on your day off. You always have to be on semi-alert because you never know when they're going to turn up for their luggage and you can't go out.

scribbles said:
Your thoughts??
And with online booking the guests check the night before and arm themselves with, 'my room was open last night so you have no reason to not let me in right now.'
I hate those people.
maddy - i used to do that.
7 pm and i'd just block any open rooms for that night. it looked good online and it prevented the folks calling 'from their car on the road' at 8 or 9 or later who had to be at least an hour away wanting a room that night. if i wanted to take walk-ins who appeared at the door, and they usually did every night, it was my choice.
i think the reservation system i used had an option to lock out reservations after a certain time and went immediately to the next day.
as for demanding an early check in ... seriously, demanding not asking, because they saw it was available the night before ... maybe i took the opportunity to shampoo the rug or patched a hole in the wall or didn't finish making up the room because i was tired.
do it.
Madeleine said:
I hate those people.

scribbles said:
Your thoughts??
I hate those people.
maddy - i used to do that.
7 pm and i'd just block any open rooms for that night. it looked good online and it prevented the folks calling 'from their car on the road' at 8 or 9 or later who had to be at least an hour away wanting a room that night. if i wanted to take walk-ins who appeared at the door, and they usually did every night, it was my choice.
i think the reservation system i used had an option to lock out reservations after a certain time and went immediately to the next day.
as for demanding an early check in ... seriously, demanding not asking, because they saw it was available the night before ... maybe i took the opportunity to shampoo the rug or patched a hole in the wall or didn't finish making up the room because i was tired.
do it.
Madeleine said:
I hate those people.
Should have done it tonight, they're still calling.

scribbles said:
Your thoughts??
I hate those people.
I used your same rez system and it seems that since I didn't allow same day bookings online that the system blocked the rooms? I know that I didn't want to mess up my reporting although now, I really think that I over thought waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many things. Hahahaha....

On the rare occasions that I got that request, I think that I answered them with the facts - Something like. "I'm sorry but check-out time is for the inn as well as your room as we prepare for the incoming guests. I can recommend things to do until your (flight, event, etc.). However, we'd be happy to keep your luggage for you if you don't want to keep it in your vehicle if you'll arrange a pick up time." A compromise and often what is offered in hotels...

Thank you everyone for your comments -- and welcomes! Hubby and I ended up going up the road to the coffee shop for an afternoon treat, came back just as very grateful, happy guests were leaving. Turned out OK, but will definitely be ready for next time so I don't just go "uhh...mmm... oh, no problem at all!".
I'm very glad to have found this forum! SO MANY QUESTIONS AND RANTS I've had since April... found answers and company here! Everyone else's questions and rants are just perfect and I"ve been reading them aloud to hubby for the past few days now! Ha ha. Wish I'd discovered it earlier.
The other day we had a couple arrive at 10:00am! I was still serving breakfast for heaven's sake, and they asked if they could check in. HELLO, did you not read the website/reservation confirmation/hear me tell you "check in is at 4:00" on the phone??? Where on earth can you check in anywhere at 10:00am without advance agreement? My goodness, what a job this can be sometimes!
PS: LOL seashanty
PPS: I live in BC Canada, Beachhouse

Just keep it simple...no matter who the guests are. Check out is at XXX. You can't stay later than that...unless you want to pay an extra $50. We have to clean and have other appts and the house is locked up.
Otherwise, No luggage holding..no bathroom...no nothing..out the door you go!.
Agree Emptynest..we have tried to be accommodating over the years and it never works out to our benefit. As difficult as it is to say no to guests, it works best to stick to your guns and get them out the door. In the long run, you will be happy to have established a policy that is consistent and gives you the time you need.

scribbles said:
Your thoughts??
I hate those people.
I block at noon. I used to have it open and well, forgot to block when going to bed and someone booked at 11:59PM. Never again!

Speaking as someone who has checked out but had a late afternoon plane flight, I'd say it was very nice of you to let them hang around the public areas of the house. Their only option would be to sit in an airport lounge for hours.
I can see where it would be a problem for you if you otherwise had an empty house and alone time, but they probably assumed you had other guests anyway, and they wouldn't be much trouble.
Put me down as one who will accommodate guests when I can, even if it's not what I'd really like to do..
When leaving for a certain Road Trip, to be convenient for the driver, I arranged to go to the airport after my City Council meeting and that put me at the airport at 11 PM for my 5 AM flight.. If it is good enough for me, guests can do it too.
As for turning away..... I have someone arriving Aug 30 who expects to arrive after 3 PM. The catch is I will be about 140 miles from here when he checks in. We will be locking all out doors since we have stay-overs on a 4-night so the front door will be unlocked and he ha been told where hi room is. Coming for his Mother's funeral and Labor Day weekend there is NOT going to be another place open. I did not have the heart to turn him away.

Back