Cheeky!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you suspect he only stopped by to use the restroom and pretended to ask the price so you'd let him?.
Exactly...but he didn't even ask about using the bathroom. Wife was already in there doing her business. The interest in the B+B was just to cover their rudeness and trespassing.

I wasn't going to mention this...trying to let it go but, Maddie, you got me started.
2 days ago, I saw a couple standing in our driveway as I was heading out to the clothes line to hang some sheets right after check-out. DH was outside mowing the lawn. When I returned to the house I noticed that the door between our private area and the guest living room was open ....and there was a strange man sitting on the guest sofa reading some of our literature. I was totally startled and asked him how he got in. Apparently someone left the front door unlocked... he and his wife walked right in.
So where is your wife? I say. Oh she is in there, he says, pointing to our private area. At this point I was livid and started looking around our quarters, basically yelling "Hello". No answer. When he finally told me her name I called out to "Claire" who casually came strolling out of OUR bathroom, totally non-plussed. She didn't flush. They made like they were really interested in staying in the cottage. BS...they broke in while they saw that I was outside in order to pee.
When I gently pointed out to them that folks in these parts generally ring the bell and wait to be asked to enter a home, they changed the subject saying that where they are from people are very friendly. They happen to live in the same area of the state that I am from so I was not impressed when they told me and that did not please them. When they finally told me they were "originally from NY" I wanted to say "NO KIDDING!!!" Coulda figured that from the second I laid eyes on them.
What ballsy people. Really....it's going to be a long summer..
Wow. You are so nice, because if I saw someone walking out of my private areas I would ask them to empty their pockets and if they refused, call the cops! They broke into your home and trespassed. Time for cops.
Jon Sable said:
Wow. You are so nice, because if I saw someone walking out of my private areas I would ask them to empty their pockets and if they refused, call the cops! They broke into your home and trespassed. Time for cops.
When they said that bit about how people are friendly where they come from I'm not sure I wouldn't have said, 'We have guns where I come from.' Escalation, I know, but you are right, they were trespassing. Entering the innkeepers' personal space is trespassing.
Yeesh, I am STILL wound up about this.
I would be more than wound up! A call to the police say that you have intruders in your home and that you are afraid might have made them think twice about having just "walked in". Seriously. I would have called the cops immediately!
You know the saddest part about this is that I felt I could not ream them another a** hole. What was on my mind? TA that's what. I could see the headlines all over the web "Innkeeper goes ballistic and cuts two tourists new a** holes"!!!
Thanks all for the ear...I really did have to get this incident off my chest.
Silverspoon said:
You know the saddest part about this is that I felt I could not ream them another a** hole. What was on my mind? TA that's what. I could see the headlines all over the web "Innkeeper goes ballistic and cuts two tourists new a** holes"!!!
We need to stop worrying about TA. Let them write a bad review and then come back on management response about how startled you were to find him in your PRIVATE space using your iron when he had one in his room. I am done with sweating the small stuff like TA.

I wasn't going to mention this...trying to let it go but, Maddie, you got me started.
2 days ago, I saw a couple standing in our driveway as I was heading out to the clothes line to hang some sheets right after check-out. DH was outside mowing the lawn. When I returned to the house I noticed that the door between our private area and the guest living room was open ....and there was a strange man sitting on the guest sofa reading some of our literature. I was totally startled and asked him how he got in. Apparently someone left the front door unlocked... he and his wife walked right in.
So where is your wife? I say. Oh she is in there, he says, pointing to our private area. At this point I was livid and started looking around our quarters, basically yelling "Hello". No answer. When he finally told me her name I called out to "Claire" who casually came strolling out of OUR bathroom, totally non-plussed. She didn't flush. They made like they were really interested in staying in the cottage. BS...they broke in while they saw that I was outside in order to pee.
When I gently pointed out to them that folks in these parts generally ring the bell and wait to be asked to enter a home, they changed the subject saying that where they are from people are very friendly. They happen to live in the same area of the state that I am from so I was not impressed when they told me and that did not please them. When they finally told me they were "originally from NY" I wanted to say "NO KIDDING!!!" Coulda figured that from the second I laid eyes on them.
Jon Sable said:
When they said that bit about how people are friendly where they come from I'm not sure I wouldn't have said, 'We have guns where I come from.' Escalation, I know, but you are right, they were trespassing. Entering the innkeepers' personal space is trespassing.
I would be more than wound up! A call to the police say that you have intruders in your home and that you are afraid might have made them think twice about having just "walked in". Seriously. I would have called the cops immediately!
Silverspoon said:
We need to stop worrying about TA. Let them write a bad review and then come back on management response about how startled you were to find him in your PRIVATE space using your iron when he had one in his room. I am done with sweating the small stuff like TA.
WoW K that is a very strong statement. ! Love it ! I truly do.
Wish more inn and B&B people felt the same way. Instead of turning themselves into worries a bout T. ,,,A's or should I say, the so called people that feel they should write bad reports on most things that could of been handled ,if they had the courage to speak to the inn keepers in the first place and not hide behind false names. Or throw temper fits cause they (guests) did not get their way. Then the innkeeper so worried about how to handle their response. It just too much . We all try our best and then some.... to make people happy and enjoy the B&B experience. BUT You just can't please every one! that is impossible. We just got to stop being so hard on our selves.
heart.gif

We are all good people who try our best.

Jon Sable said:
Silverspoon said:
To hell with ta. Had these trespassers written anything I would have called ta to tell them they were trespassing, that they were not registered guests they just wanted in off the street and were found in your private space going thru your stuff. If that didn't get it removed it's the perfect opportunity to let everyone know your space is off limits.

Jon Sable said:
Silverspoon said:
I agree! TA Be damned! You cannot be held hostage and threatened with blackmail. Let them write anything they want...you can't stop them...just use your MGT response and tell it like it is.

Jon Sable said:
Silverspoon said:
Hold the mayo! How did we get into, "One of the main driving force in selecting accommodations in the world today can be ignored and we'll clean up the mess later", mode????? Bad reviews and hot head management responses will land you on reality TV.
Having said that, I do agree that there is no value in worrying about T A and I do agree that that an assertive action is required when people forget their manners. It sounded to me like it was handled as best as could be.
It has taken a lot of really great reviews and a bad one to lose that, "One bad review will wreck us", feeling. No one looks forward to a bad review, but we are ready to use it to OUR advantage if it shows up. This proactive approach has helped us gain control of the review process and make it part of our business response.

Jon Sable said:
Silverspoon said:
Hold the mayo! How did we get into, "One of the main driving force in selecting accommodations in the world today can be ignored and we'll clean up the mess later", mode????? Bad reviews and hot head management responses will land you on reality TV.
Having said that, I do agree that there is no value in worrying about T A and I do agree that that an assertive action is required when people forget their manners. It sounded to me like it was handled as best as could be.
It has taken a lot of really great reviews and a bad one to lose that, "One bad review will wreck us", feeling. No one looks forward to a bad review, but we are ready to use it to OUR advantage if it shows up. This proactive approach has helped us gain control of the review process and make it part of our business response.
Im getting a mixed message here. I think you're saying you use ta to your advantage and if you get a bad review you use it again to your advantage. The mixed part comes in where it sounds like you're saying avoid that bad review at all costs.
I think we all do our best but when an innkeeper's thoughts go to 'be nice to avoid a bad review even tho this jerk is in my bathroom possibly going thru my stuff' then we are being held hostage and that's not a position I want to be in.
I think the interloper is lucky there isn't a police report on file right now.
If I got your position wrong then sorry for the misinterpretation.

Jon Sable said:
Silverspoon said:
Im getting a mixed message here. I think you're saying you use ta to your advantage and if you get a bad review you use it again to your advantage. The mixed part comes in where it sounds like you're saying avoid that bad review at all costs.
I think we all do our best but when an innkeeper's thoughts go to 'be nice to avoid a bad review even tho this jerk is in my bathroom possibly going thru my stuff' then we are being held hostage and that's not a position I want to be in.
I think the interloper is lucky there isn't a police report on file right now.
If I got your position wrong then sorry for the misinterpretation.
I didn't say avoid bad reviews at all costs.

I've had similar. Came out of our private lounge to meet two Spanish girls in the hallway, one of whom was just about to go into our private bathroom. Asked them what they wanted and they said they wanted a room, we were full and the "No vacancies" sign was out so they knew that already.
Then they asked to use the bathroom and I said NO, because it's our private area.

Okay on behalf of all those who need to find restrooms at times, when we had two young females in tow the need was always urgent if anything at all. I want to express an apology to anyone who felt put out for us to use a restroom to which we thought may be public.
Over the years we have been known to stop at hotels along the way as there is always a restroom in the lobby, and we used it. I still do that. This couple may have been there to use the facility, and asked about the price so they seemed like they were not just there for that purpose, out of embarrassment. I am just saying this, as I know how bad it is when you gotta go you gotta go!
If you have a place with walk ins, please allow them a place to ...you know, if they need to. If they are walking all over town and find your place.
Now if you are not in a place with ready walk ins, then tell them to shove off. :)

I just saw this other from Silvers, yeah NK no one should be allowed into the owners quarters, ever. People are nosy beaks and will go in there if you aren't around and the knob turns, of course they will be. It is sad we have to live under lock and key, but busier times of the year, we just have to.
Sorry that happened. Read my other post. If I needed a restroom I may be tempted to go in there if I needed to go really bad. Not an excuse for bad behavior, but if my bladder was bursting all bets are off on etiquette!

I just saw this other from Silvers, yeah NK no one should be allowed into the owners quarters, ever. People are nosy beaks and will go in there if you aren't around and the knob turns, of course they will be. It is sad we have to live under lock and key, but busier times of the year, we just have to.
Sorry that happened. Read my other post. If I needed a restroom I may be tempted to go in there if I needed to go really bad. Not an excuse for bad behavior, but if my bladder was bursting all bets are off on etiquette!
we are lucky as have 2 public half baths - due to previous owners using our breakfast room as a café during the day (its a requirement to have one for a café or restaurant) so its not a problem - our town for 90,000 people has 15 public toilets and that's cubicles not locations! so yes you can easily get caught short!

Okay on behalf of all those who need to find restrooms at times, when we had two young females in tow the need was always urgent if anything at all. I want to express an apology to anyone who felt put out for us to use a restroom to which we thought may be public.
Over the years we have been known to stop at hotels along the way as there is always a restroom in the lobby, and we used it. I still do that. This couple may have been there to use the facility, and asked about the price so they seemed like they were not just there for that purpose, out of embarrassment. I am just saying this, as I know how bad it is when you gotta go you gotta go!
If you have a place with walk ins, please allow them a place to ...you know, if they need to. If they are walking all over town and find your place.
Now if you are not in a place with ready walk ins, then tell them to shove off. :).
We look for a Greasy Mac's BUT I always buy something before I leave.

Now if you are not in a place with ready walk ins, then tell them to shove off. :).
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
We own stock in those.

Back