Chip & PIN effectiveness...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
A bit off topic, but we have discussed EMV a few times. I was reading this article http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/03/cash-claws-fake-fascias-tampered-tickets/ and I thought that it is interesting that in Europe they are resorting to mechanical attacks because of the chips. But below that it mentions that thieves after managing to read the card and the PIN then clone the card in the US where there is no Chip & PIN so that they can steal the money in the account that they can't steal in Europe.
Skimming cards is so rampant in some places that police have begged the banks to implement EMV. See more at http://www.fraud-magazine.com/article.aspx?id=4294968748

I just had our card we use for business compromised. Got the fraud call from the bank. What a big pain! I'll be glad when all this nonsense is over and done with.

Just goes to show you that criminals are always going to find a way. Of course the very people creating these safety standards know there are ways to break the code. The key is to find the most difficult to hack.

Just goes to show you that criminals are always going to find a way. Of course the very people creating these safety standards know there are ways to break the code. The key is to find the most difficult to hack..
And the loophole. It's funny, they now have to go to brute force in Europe, but the loophole is copying the card onto plastic in the US. Apparently some of the European banks have started instituting geographic blocks that seem to have curtailed that. But it's interesting because people will complain that their card won't work on vacation. I know that we have to call our bank to tell them exactly what countries and what dates we will be in what country so they can unlock them.

Just goes to show you that criminals are always going to find a way. Of course the very people creating these safety standards know there are ways to break the code. The key is to find the most difficult to hack..
And the loophole. It's funny, they now have to go to brute force in Europe, but the loophole is copying the card onto plastic in the US. Apparently some of the European banks have started instituting geographic blocks that seem to have curtailed that. But it's interesting because people will complain that their card won't work on vacation. I know that we have to call our bank to tell them exactly what countries and what dates we will be in what country so they can unlock them.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is how it worked with us when we traveled to Europe in 2010, and then you hope they got it all right!!! Monaco had not been added but they did have Nice, France as well as every other place we were to visit. Tried to charge something in Monaco and it would not go through, went to Nice and same card worked.
I called the CC company and they said they would call the number on file to discuss the use. I said no one will answer, we are HERE in Monaco NOW. I tried to prove I was who I claimed to be but there was no way they would allow the charge - we paid cash - it was not over $40 and is what we joked about... I wasn't spending a fortune!

Eric Arthur Blair said:
That is how it worked with us when we traveled to Europe in 2010, and then you hope they got it all right!!! Monaco had not been added but they did have Nice, France as well as every other place we were to visit. Tried to charge something in Monaco and it would not go through, went to Nice and same card worked.
I called the CC company and they said they would call the number on file to discuss the use. I said no one will answer, we are HERE in Monaco NOW. I tried to prove I was who I claimed to be but there was no way they would allow the charge - we paid cash - it was not over $40 and is what we joked about... I wasn't spending a fortune!
We have chip enabled cards, which don't require that you preannounce your visit. But if someone ever tries to use the magnetic stripe and I'm cooked. So we give the CC a full itinerary.
We've had it with guests, they had dirty contacts on the chip, so it told me to use the magnetic stripe... refused. I pulled out a pink eraser and cleaned the chip and it processed without a hiccup on the chip. It's sometimes gone to voice verify for foreign transactions without the chip... never a hiccup with it (other than once having to clean the chip, and a guest who didn't know their PIN, but that's not my fault.)

Back