Christmas Coffee

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
On Saturday nights, I relieve the town optometrist at the Chapel. One of his sons-in-law is a coffee aficionado. They bought him a particular coffee maker their daughter told them he wanted as his Christmas present. He asked me how much do I want to do some coffee roasts to go with the coffee maker. They are doing Christmas Saturday so I roasted coffee from around the world for him - Ethiopia, Sumatra, Costa Rica, Oahu, Nicaragua, and the one he is going to have fun with - Indian Mysore Nuggets. Each roast filled a pint jar and I have them in a bread basket I made years ago. I would have added a Gillum mug (there is room in the basket) but then he would want to pay me more and I do not want that. He is such a good person - he has given me such a break on exams for the same reason I wanted to under-charge for the coffee. He will pick it up in the morning.

nice. How do you roast your coffee? Do you have a home roaster?
I may be way out in left field, as I know you're busy with possibly 25 different outside activities, but have you considered a side business? 'Gillum House Coffee' - Try our house specialties or request your own special blend. Over 100 teas, too. Or maybe even a small coffee shop - and I do mean small. Put a carved or painted sign out over the porch there with the coffee cup steam kind of wafting up over the roof line.
I don't know what's allowed where you are ... I'm thinking of this tiny coffee shop in Scotland that served coffee, tea and 'homebakes' ... literally whatever they brought in from home to sell. Once discovered, we stopped in just about every day for two weeks. It was always busy.
Just thinking especially as occupancy is down.

I may be way out in left field, as I know you're busy with possibly 25 different outside activities, but have you considered a side business? 'Gillum House Coffee' - Try our house specialties or request your own special blend. Over 100 teas, too. Or maybe even a small coffee shop - and I do mean small. Put a carved or painted sign out over the porch there with the coffee cup steam kind of wafting up over the roof line.
I don't know what's allowed where you are ... I'm thinking of this tiny coffee shop in Scotland that served coffee, tea and 'homebakes' ... literally whatever they brought in from home to sell. Once discovered, we stopped in just about every day for two weeks. It was always busy.
Just thinking especially as occupancy is down..
Newbies - go to innrewards.com and sign up. It was created by one of our innmates and is free. Figure out what you could do/use as a reward and how you will give it out - YOU are in total control of that reward and can change it with the seasons. Example: you are in strawberry country and in berry season berries are inexpensive so you give a quart or two as a reward. Season is over, change the reward to something else.

I would love to see a coffee shop/cyber cafe in this town. But I am too old to work that hard. It would require a commercial kitchen here in the States also. I am thinking of offering a roast of coffee as an extra reward for a 3-nights or longer stay. It is already my reward on innrewards.com. Perhaps a sign in my gift shop Hoosier would do it. Thank you for the kick I needed. Choose the country you want roasted $xx. Packaged in pint jars and labeled in beans or ground, your choice.
Forgot to answer - yes, SS, I have 2 roasters. I "roasted" #1 - had come into my office and was listening to the roaster sounds but Himself came in to tell me something and I could not hear it. When he went into the kitchen, it was glowing and the kitchen was filled with smoke. I raced in BUT HE was standing right in front of where I needed to be to shut things down and I could not push him like you can do with a normal person. I was finally able to reach across the counter to hit the switch on the surge strip.
Once it cooled down enough to touch it with hot pads, I took it out to the deck and cleared the kitchen of the remaining smoke. It was a particularly small coffee bean being roasted and one got stuck under the auger. I then went to my computer and ordered #2. When it arrived, there was an piece of info with it - recommending to NOT use that coffee bean.
A couple years later, during a roast, #2 stopped in mid cycle but restarted when I hit the button. I immediately went to the computer and ordered #3. Since then, #2 has behaved itself. It is great when guests order difference coffees or when I a donating coffees (instead of room nights) to be able to do 2 at a time.

I would love to see a coffee shop/cyber cafe in this town. But I am too old to work that hard. It would require a commercial kitchen here in the States also. I am thinking of offering a roast of coffee as an extra reward for a 3-nights or longer stay. It is already my reward on innrewards.com. Perhaps a sign in my gift shop Hoosier would do it. Thank you for the kick I needed. Choose the country you want roasted $xx. Packaged in pint jars and labeled in beans or ground, your choice.
Forgot to answer - yes, SS, I have 2 roasters. I "roasted" #1 - had come into my office and was listening to the roaster sounds but Himself came in to tell me something and I could not hear it. When he went into the kitchen, it was glowing and the kitchen was filled with smoke. I raced in BUT HE was standing right in front of where I needed to be to shut things down and I could not push him like you can do with a normal person. I was finally able to reach across the counter to hit the switch on the surge strip.
Once it cooled down enough to touch it with hot pads, I took it out to the deck and cleared the kitchen of the remaining smoke. It was a particularly small coffee bean being roasted and one got stuck under the auger. I then went to my computer and ordered #2. When it arrived, there was an piece of info with it - recommending to NOT use that coffee bean.
A couple years later, during a roast, #2 stopped in mid cycle but restarted when I hit the button. I immediately went to the computer and ordered #3. Since then, #2 has behaved itself. It is great when guests order difference coffees or when I a donating coffees (instead of room nights) to be able to do 2 at a time.
In a town your size, the best bet would actually be a cafe/laudromat combination. This way people can get their laundry done and grab a coffee too. Laundry on the right side of the business, cafe on the right side so they can have a drive-thru window as well.

Newbies - go to innrewards.com and sign up. It was created by one of our innmates and is free. Figure out what you could do/use as a reward and how you will give it out - YOU are in total control of that reward and can change it with the seasons. Example: you are in strawberry country and in berry season berries are inexpensive so you give a quart or two as a reward. Season is over, change the reward to something else.
OMGosh!! Innrewards - what a great idea! I wish I was already open. I will definitely participate in that once I'm "real".
Gillum -- I am blown away by all that you are involved in. How on earth do you do it all? You may as well add "Barista" to your set of accomplishments (if only because it's a cool-sounding title).
I plan to emphasize our coffee in our bed and breakfast. We too are coffee aficionados. A good friend of ours owns a coffee shop where he roasts his own coffee. He keeps us stocked up on the most amazing coffees.
Re the Innrewards -- I love to embroidery. I have one of those magical fancy-dancy embroidery machines. I wonder if I might be able to come up with something along those lines as my Innreward. Hmmmm....

OMGosh!! Innrewards - what a great idea! I wish I was already open. I will definitely participate in that once I'm "real".
Gillum -- I am blown away by all that you are involved in. How on earth do you do it all? You may as well add "Barista" to your set of accomplishments (if only because it's a cool-sounding title).
I plan to emphasize our coffee in our bed and breakfast. We too are coffee aficionados. A good friend of ours owns a coffee shop where he roasts his own coffee. He keeps us stocked up on the most amazing coffees.
Re the Innrewards -- I love to embroidery. I have one of those magical fancy-dancy embroidery machines. I wonder if I might be able to come up with something along those lines as my Innreward. Hmmmm....
One thing I recommend is selling things you do anyway ie have on hand so they are never out of stock
ie we sell our muslie, small jars of jam (us jelly), local honey, hand wash and moisturizer, pop, bottled water, coffee, bedroom biscuits,
I've just opened an online store on my web site so I can sell add on's more easily as well as any other items I wish to make or sell. PLus if the embroidery is something with your B&B name on it helps them remember - so many people can't remember the name of anywhere they have stayed you would not believe.

gillumhouse said:
How is he doing the availability chart? Where is it drawing from?

One thing I recommend is selling things you do anyway ie have on hand so they are never out of stock
ie we sell our muslie, small jars of jam (us jelly), local honey, hand wash and moisturizer, pop, bottled water, coffee, bedroom biscuits,
I've just opened an online store on my web site so I can sell add on's more easily as well as any other items I wish to make or sell. PLus if the embroidery is something with your B&B name on it helps them remember - so many people can't remember the name of anywhere they have stayed you would not believe.
Yes, Jcam - that is exactly what I was thinking too. I plan to sell pottery-type coffee mugs with our logo on them as well as the same kind of things that you mentioned above - toiletries, suntan lotion. I also thought I might carry the Comfy sheets in my gift shot - perhaps putting an embroidery design of their choice (and color) on the pillow cases with the purchase of a set of sheets.
As far as the Innrewards - perhaps a breadbasket liner with our logo on it. That would be easy.

Yes, Jcam - that is exactly what I was thinking too. I plan to sell pottery-type coffee mugs with our logo on them as well as the same kind of things that you mentioned above - toiletries, suntan lotion. I also thought I might carry the Comfy sheets in my gift shot - perhaps putting an embroidery design of their choice (and color) on the pillow cases with the purchase of a set of sheets.
As far as the Innrewards - perhaps a breadbasket liner with our logo on it. That would be easy.
My mugs are made by a West Virginia potter who hand throws each one and then signs them. He had a stamp made with my logo and attaches a logo on each mug. The fact he did what I asked - a handle big enough a man can grab it without burning his fingers and a cup large enough that he knows he had a cup of coffee. I liked the design he did - the SELL.

In a town your size, the best bet would actually be a cafe/laudromat combination. This way people can get their laundry done and grab a coffee too. Laundry on the right side of the business, cafe on the right side so they can have a drive-thru window as well.
We have a laundromat - new owners a few years ago and they made it a nice place to go. We have a book store, an Upscale Resale, a used stuff store, and 2 shops that all sell different things in the primitives to crafts to decor to antiques, a bike shop, and Chinese in downtown. Oh, and an ice cream shop, Italian restaurants, pizza (several), hot dogs, beauty shops, as well as doctors, optometrist, massage,, dentist, diabetic supplies, and several Hot Spots (one-armed bandit back rooms, legal), and 3 bars.

well Gillum, I still say ... a bed, breakfast and a cuppa' ... there's got to be a way to publicize all those awesome coffees and teas. But it's so much easier from outside to suggest things. :)

well Gillum, I still say ... a bed, breakfast and a cuppa' ... there's got to be a way to publicize all those awesome coffees and teas. But it's so much easier from outside to suggest things. :).
I am going to have to kick me in the rear and start blogging more. I have been tossing out "pitches" for stories. Have a few maybes. I seem to be someone who comes up with ideas that work for other people. I have a whole new year beginning.

My mugs are made by a West Virginia potter who hand throws each one and then signs them. He had a stamp made with my logo and attaches a logo on each mug. The fact he did what I asked - a handle big enough a man can grab it without burning his fingers and a cup large enough that he knows he had a cup of coffee. I liked the design he did - the SELL.
gillumhouse said:
And what I like about your mugs, they make excellent beer mugs! I have mine in the freezer ready when I need a cold one!!!

gillumhouse said:
And what I like about your mugs, they make excellent beer mugs! I have mine in the freezer ready when I need a cold one!!!
Love it!
Started to ask the doc how the coffee was received and before I could say anything, he told me his son-in-law said my coffees were famous. And he liked them. Said the s-i-l is on a learning curve with the new coffee maker he wanted.

Gillum, your fresh roasted coffee sounds amazing. Although I'm not a fan of coffee (Bring on the tea!) I absolutely love the smell of it. We buy whole beans and grind them but haven't yet ventured into the world of roasting.
We have a Coffee and Pastry Shop inside the B&B and it has it's ups and downs to be sure. I like the fact that we have our regulars that come in every day or so for their beverage (no S-Bucks around here), it gets me through those long boring days when there are no guests and it frees up my time a bit because all of the girls that work in the shop can do check-ins, check-outs, answer questions if I'm not around. Guests have also mentioned that it gives the Lodge a homey feel because Coffee Shop customers can hang out in the dining room or lobby/living room areas. The downfalls include all the extra work (obviously), the extra staff needed and the fact that even if there are no guests we are still here for the shop.
I also often feel like I have enough time to dedicate to the B&B because of the Coffee Shop but a lot of that has to do with the company that owns us. Hoping for a bit more separation in 2016!

Back