Common areas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually pretty happy with our common areas because they are small. We're not typical...our guests don't want to hang with others.
If I had a lot of money, I would want 1 more common area room that I could use for special functions, meetings, etc..
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm actually pretty happy with our common areas because they are small. We're not typical...our guests don't want to hang with others.
If I had a lot of money, I would want 1 more common area room that I could use for special functions, meetings, etc.
Your guests are like 99% of our guests, they don't want to hang with others at all. The only folks who do are those who bring instruments and pick on the porch, then it is more fun with a group gathered to listen, chat, play or whatever...
It's a few different sorts here:
  • Social butterflies, they want to meet other people
  • They're using the computer
  • They came in a group and they want to have drinks together
  • Spouse is resting and they want to read
  • Spouse is watching TV and they want to read
  • Kid is napping and they just want some down time from watching the kid
  • Maybe the living room chair is more comfortable than in their room
  • They don't have a TV in their room so they come downstairs to catch the news
All kinds of reasons why someone is using the living room. I wish for a larger one like muirford's so groups could spread out a bit. There could be multiple groups at once or larger family groups could just sit without going and getting dining room chairs.
Madeleine said:
I wish for a larger one like muirford's so groups could spread out a bit. There could be multiple groups at once or larger family groups could just sit without going and getting dining room chairs.
We are lucky to have a large living room that allows that, and I have it arranged into three seating areas. We also have a library with just two chairs and the computer and a big back porch that we re-did this spring that handles 8 comfortably and you can squeeze a few more. We have a nice big backyard, too, but folks prefer the porch.
I wish we had one big dining room instead of two, because we can never do any kinds of meetings here and it would be awkward to have individual tables.

My guests are all here for "reasons", so it is uncommon for anyone to make use of the parlor and the library just for hanging out. A few times I've had couples hang out on the front porch. I think perhaps, like Gillum, if I was going to upgrade, it would be more work on the yard. I am working on some basic landscaping deficiencies this summer.
I think a fire ring would be interesting, but it would add another layer of potential problems, and I'm not sure it would attract an additional type of visitor. People don't come to this town to sit around a campfire. I have decided though, that I'll get a real landscaper to give me advice on what to do next spring with plants, etc..
But you have beautiful common areas - why would someone leave those beautiful rooms to go outside. I have no place and the side yard is large and nice. It will be my "common area".

Definitely the porches. We are downtown so, other than my small side yard, we are surrounded by concrete (parking lots and streets). The porches are nice to relax, drink, read, watch the town.
We do have one common area inside - the parlor. It's usually only used by the people in the room across from it or in the morning when people are getting to know each other with their coffee.
Like Innkeep our guests don't hang out at the Inn. They leave right after breakfast, come back mid-day to drop off purchases or take a quick nap then leave for dinner & fun. They spend very little time actually inside except when sleeping.

Our wintergarten/serre/sunroom.....
IMG_5601.JPG

Back