Compensation for Live In Help or How to Get Help in the Boonies?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: If you have/had live in help where would they eat or prepare meals?.
Way back we had a bunch of Eastern European visa kids want to rent a room here for the summer season. 3 of them. They were going to hot bunk. I never even thought about them needing a place to eat!
Madeleine said:
Way back we had a bunch of Eastern European visa kids want to rent a room here for the summer season. 3 of them. They were going to hot bunk. I never even thought about them needing a place to eat!
Spoken like the wife of a sailor.

JB asked for ads. This is the ad we currently have on our chamber website:
"We are looking for a few conscientious people to join our cleaning crew at Harborfields Waterfront Cottages in West Boothbay Harbor. Saturdays 9 to 3 (or so) from late June through August. Additional dates earlier and later in the season also possible, as well as some Sundays and mid-week days possible. Duties include cottage change-overs and cleaning common areas; other tasks may be available if interested. No experience necessary. Guaranteed minimum hours, Good Pay, and Bonus at end of season."
We need to get on it, because we are not sure if our girl friday will be coming back! (We kept her busy an average of 30 hours/week all season last year, mowing, painting, and other chores, when she wasn't cleaning).
and here is the ad on the chamber site from one of the B&B's over in town:
"We are looking to hire 2-3 Housekeepers for the 2014 season, beginning in late June. Hours are generally 9 or 10AM to 2PM, 2-6 days per week, with flexible scheduling options. Experience not required: we will train you. Hourly wage plus tips, with an end of season bonus of $.50 per hour for every hour worked all season.
Duties include breakfast clean-up, cleaning guest rooms and common areas, watering gardens, etc.
Our staff works as a team, in a supportive family atmosphere. We are proud to hire high school and college students from the Boothbay region. The majority of our staff return for several years.
We're looking for responsible, reliable, and trustworthy people with an ability to follow direction. A sense of humor is a definite plus.".
Thanks HF!
"Plus Tips"
Campground hosts are not housekeepers, they are like the camp nazis, some of them. I wouldn't compare scrubbin' toilets to campground monitors, White Pine. :)

Madeleine said:
Right! Even cereal and sandwiches...thinking of a summer intern, all summer they would need a place to eat and prepare food, unless you did it all at the inn/B&B/hotel. ie breakfast is for you, then you are on your own til dinner... or whatever
White Pine wrote they are 30 minutes from a small town. So unlike those IN A TOWN who have mcdonalds nearby, this is another thing to work out.
I guess I just thought they would eat at work. The ones awake at breakfast could eat here but it never crossed my mind. I was more concerned about 3 teenagers sharing a room and how the heck would I ever be able to clean?
Plus, it would have cost them too much. They wouldn't have had any money to go back home!
Yes. Sailor's wife!

Madeleine said:
Right! Even cereal and sandwiches...thinking of a summer intern, all summer they would need a place to eat and prepare food, unless you did it all at the inn/B&B/hotel. ie breakfast is for you, then you are on your own til dinner... or whatever
White Pine wrote they are 30 minutes from a small town. So unlike those IN A TOWN who have mcdonalds nearby, this is another thing to work out.
I guess I just thought they would eat at work. The ones awake at breakfast could eat here but it never crossed my mind. I was more concerned about 3 teenagers sharing a room and how the heck would I ever be able to clean?
Plus, it would have cost them too much. They wouldn't have had any money to go back home!
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Madeleine said:
Plus, it would have cost them too much. They wouldn't have had any money to go back home! (They wouldn't go back home)
Yes. Sailor's wife!
If anyone hires live in help, help! Let us know how this works, we are curious. :) Thanks.

Madeleine said:
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Madeleine said:
Plus, it would have cost them too much. They wouldn't have had any money to go back home! (They wouldn't go back home)
Yes. Sailor's wife!
If anyone hires live in help, help! Let us know how this works, we are curious. :) Thanks.
Hi
Just a FYI we stay in the log cabin on the property, and the lodge has a large kitchen with a new range, micro and fridge. It once ran as a commercial kitchen. We also have a freezer. Plenty of room there for food and prep. I would be fussy about keeping the area clean tho.
The back stairs comes down into the kitchen from the entrance to the new "managers" suite of rooms...with private bath, bedroom and sitting room.
Oh, and there is a convince store in our town that does deli stuff and a family restaurant and a good tavern. Another place a dozen miles will deliver pizza and bar-b-que to us. McD's half hour, movies one hour......not a good place for teens....

Madeleine said:
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Madeleine said:
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Hi
Just a FYI we stay in the log cabin on the property, and the lodge has a large kitchen with a new range, micro and fridge. It once ran as a commercial kitchen. We also have a freezer. Plenty of room there for food and prep. I would be fussy about keeping the area clean tho.
The back stairs comes down into the kitchen from the entrance to the new "managers" suite of rooms...with private bath, bedroom and sitting room.
Oh, and there is a convince store in our town that does deli stuff and a family restaurant and a good tavern. Another place a dozen miles will deliver pizza and bar-b-que to us. McD's half hour, movies one hour......not a good place for teens....
Are you looking for a couple, or a live in housekeeper?

Madeleine said:
Spoken like the wife of a sailor.
Not a sailot wife, but I know what hot bunk is.

Madeleine said:
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Madeleine said:
Yes. Sailor's wife!
Hi
Are you looking for a couple, or a live in housekeeper?
I have placed an ad with the state teachers newsletter. Many of them are couples and work as campground hosts here. I would love to have a couple who can handle whatever comes their way. We will need housekeeping help with the motel, and we have grounds work (lawn, beach, boats) and painting that never ends. If we get the lodge open as a b&b this year (and we are close) we will need more help. I think a couple working part time would be great. I may end up with an innsitter to help, for first short season with the lodge.

had to google hot bunk!
was told by a woman working on a cruise ship that's how it was working there.
thumbs_down.gif

Back