cotton mouth!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Fall I cleaned the kitchen pantry out from top to bottom. Everything was organized and in its proper place. At this time I did not have the keyless self locking door locks which are now on all main doors. So there I was late Fall and needing to grab something from the bottom pantry shelf and I reached in without looking and grabbed a big ole snake. I screamed like a Catholic school girl. I knew it came in from one of the multitudes of friggin riggin guest that are so lazy they block the doors open to remove there luggage and never close the doors back up. Schlage locks have become my best friend, unique in that the pin deactivates from within the unit so no jammed up sliding bolts. Took less than three hours to install and best part they relock in five seconds.
57069120248133315_ACdicSwY.jpg
We have these locks, too, but without the knob on the inside. Just did not want 'helpful' guests locking out everyone else.
BTW, I'll have you know, Catholic school girls do not scream in the manner to which you referred. We let out a God-awful holler like the sainted nuns taught us for fending off boys with octopus hands. And we would have strangled that snake with our rosary beads. And not missed a Hail Mary.
Madeleine said:
We have these locks, too, but without the knob on the inside. Just did not want 'helpful' guests locking out everyone else.
What the inside latch has two settings:
  1. Door locked so keypad code required to enter
  2. Door unlocked so ANYBODY can come in
So the helpful guests wouldn't be locking everyone else out. They would be letting everybody else in!
I deactivate those inside latches, so if the door is closed it can only be opened (from outside) with the keypad code. It becomes like a hotel door that uses a keycard. If it's closed, only the guest and staff can enter.
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
What the inside latch has two settings:
  1. Door locked so keypad code required to enter
  2. Door unlocked so ANYBODY can come in
So the helpful guests wouldn't be locking everyone else out. They would be letting everybody else in!
I deactivate those inside latches, so if the door is closed it can only be opened (from outside) with the keypad code. It becomes like a hotel door that uses a keycard. If it's closed, only the guest and staff can enter.
Welcome to the dark side Arks...you are officially a true side-tracker now. When I read this I thought, hm how can we go from cottonmouths to keypads? They don't have fingers? ha ha

Oh, I've been comfortable here on the dark side for a long time. Have sidetracked many a topic. Now let's talk about racehorses...

Oh, I've been comfortable here on the dark side for a long time. Have sidetracked many a topic. Now let's talk about racehorses....
Arkansawyer said:
Oh, I've been comfortable here on the dark side for a long time. Have sidetracked many a topic. Now let's talk about racehorses...
Now I thought you would want to talk gators!

Oh, I've been comfortable here on the dark side for a long time. Have sidetracked many a topic. Now let's talk about racehorses....
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
We're far enough north to have no gators, killer bees or fire ants. We do have our share of cottonmouths but they mostly stick to the farmer's rice fields. There are copperheads but they're just not a problem. I haven't heard of anybody getting bitten in years.
I'm waiting to see my first bear. Arkansas' original state nickname was "The Bear State", but we ate them all. The government is reintroducing them to the state and asking us to stop eating them, but this is the Ozarks, and people get tired of eating road kill all the time, so go looking for something more exotic.
Should I post this on my website?

Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
We're far enough north to have no gators, killer bees or fire ants. We do have our share of cottonmouths but they mostly stick to the farmer's rice fields. There are copperheads but they're just not a problem. I haven't heard of anybody getting bitten in years.
I'm waiting to see my first bear. Arkansas' original state nickname was "The Bear State", but we ate them all. The government is reintroducing them to the state and asking us to stop eating them, but this is the Ozarks, and people get tired of eating road kill all the time, so go looking for something more exotic.
Should I post this on my website?
Speaking of exotic, my daughter commented that the guest is leaving (this was early today) and I said, No they are staying for breakfast. She said "No she is walking around with her purse" and I had to laugh. I said "They live in NY NY"
You can take the girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl...

Back