Couple of questions as I move forward in my innkeepers journey...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only folks with the correct answer would be the owners that employ you, but I offer these idle guesses.
Why a lease/rental agreement? I'm a detail person so to me it would spell out the rights and obligations of both parties, just good business. In our area a rental without a rental agreement for a period of time would be subject to lodging tax, maybe this agreement is just a way around that sort of problem, maybe it is a way to prevent another employee for asking for the same sleeping arrangement.
Why cameras? Hopefully just a new toy, an idea someone sold them as needed or they lead a dull life and have nothing else to do except watch others work..
The only thing I can figure out is tax write off...I don't know why. They have a crazy amount on it stating that it is part of my pay. I'm very uncomfortable in this type of situation, and have been from the get go, especially after coming from a such a welcoming type of atmosphere in my previous inn experience.
Trust me, I'm not a disgruntled employee whatsoever, but I am a concerned employee.
inntropical said:
The only thing I can figure out is tax write off...I don't know why. They have a crazy amount on it stating that it is part of my pay. I'm very uncomfortable in this type of situation, and have been from the get go, especially after coming from a such a welcoming type of atmosphere in my previous inn experience.
Trust me, I'm not a disgruntled employee whatsoever, but I am a concerned employee.
What? They are claiming your sleeping in the basement is part of your pay? They are 'giving' you lodging as part of the job? You are going to pay tax on whatever amount they claim that 'rental' is worth. Is there ANY way you can go home and come back in and get out of this 'lease'?
It would be one thing if you had an apartment there or at least a couple of rooms. But it sounds like you have a cot in with the equipment. That is NOT providing you with lodging as part of your employment. Not from where I'm sitting anyway. But I'm not a lawyer or an accountant.
This is what I'm trying to do is commute at this point before I get another position. No it's more than a cot. And there is my own bathroom and cooking spot. But it is most definitely not the value they've placed on it, trust me, and I thought it to be totally unfair of them to add this in as what I am being paid. The housekeepers are making more than I am.There are many questions I've had about the whole place as I have a very good point of reference. The sad part is the whole staff talks about them behind their backs, and for me this is just not a healthy environment. It's just not me. Thank you for all your support!

The only folks with the correct answer would be the owners that employ you, but I offer these idle guesses.
Why a lease/rental agreement? I'm a detail person so to me it would spell out the rights and obligations of both parties, just good business. In our area a rental without a rental agreement for a period of time would be subject to lodging tax, maybe this agreement is just a way around that sort of problem, maybe it is a way to prevent another employee for asking for the same sleeping arrangement.
Why cameras? Hopefully just a new toy, an idea someone sold them as needed or they lead a dull life and have nothing else to do except watch others work..
This raises more questions - are you getting a W2 or a 1099?. Because if they are considering the "crazy amount" as part of your your pay, you could end up seeing that on a tax document at the end of the year. Now is the best time to find that out, not on Feb 2nd when you get your tax documents.
Oh no! I never even thought of that until I saw your post. I'm on a W2. Thank you. I need to check into that asap.

I would get out of dodge faster then a hornet could fly. First off what if there was a fire you in the basement no windows to push out . You are trapped cameras watching people at all time. You have not given them the right to follow you and look at you 24/7 . . It is not normal to have cameras like that. Even the police are not allowed to put cameras in homes unless they have a warren to do so.
Run run run as fast as you can. Some thing is not right. This is very wrong..
This is all so true. As a matter of fact just yesterday they told one of the staff about something they saw being done while watching us off property.
So sad.

I would get out of dodge faster then a hornet could fly. First off what if there was a fire you in the basement no windows to push out . You are trapped cameras watching people at all time. You have not given them the right to follow you and look at you 24/7 . . It is not normal to have cameras like that. Even the police are not allowed to put cameras in homes unless they have a warren to do so.
This is all so true. As a matter of fact just yesterday they told one of the staff about something they saw being done while watching us off property.
So sad.
inntropical said:
So sad.
The owners were off property or they were watching staff off property??? One might ask how!

So sad.
inntropical said:
So sad.
The owners were off property or they were watching staff off property??? One might ask how!
Watch us on their phones......creepy

This raises more questions - are you getting a W2 or a 1099?. Because if they are considering the "crazy amount" as part of your your pay, you could end up seeing that on a tax document at the end of the year. Now is the best time to find that out, not on Feb 2nd when you get your tax documents.
Oh no! I never even thought of that until I saw your post. I'm on a W2. Thank you. I need to check into that asap.
There may be fed, state and local tax, insurance, zoning, privacy and legal violations by them. Once you get free of them, report these freaks to all the appropriate authorities.
I was victimized by someone many years ago. The extent of the illegalities was breathtaking. Hang them out to dry.

Just a quick update folks. Today, at my inn, I was told they'd been watching us for 1/2 an hour from home and told me they were trying to figure out what I was wearing cause they didn't want to be wearing the same thing. Morale of the story? I'm so actively looking at the speed of light!!! I told an innkeeper today, this is illegal. She said it wasn't because no audio is used. Really? I said well it's just plain unethical. oh dear......

Just a quick update folks. Today, at my inn, I was told they'd been watching us for 1/2 an hour from home and told me they were trying to figure out what I was wearing cause they didn't want to be wearing the same thing. Morale of the story? I'm so actively looking at the speed of light!!! I told an innkeeper today, this is illegal. She said it wasn't because no audio is used. Really? I said well it's just plain unethical. oh dear.......
The question is, can they lip read?!? My sister can from across the room.

Just a quick update folks. Today, at my inn, I was told they'd been watching us for 1/2 an hour from home and told me they were trying to figure out what I was wearing cause they didn't want to be wearing the same thing. Morale of the story? I'm so actively looking at the speed of light!!! I told an innkeeper today, this is illegal. She said it wasn't because no audio is used. Really? I said well it's just plain unethical. oh dear.......
I am not sure but I do know in the UK it is different between recording and just seeing - watching you don't need to put signs up but recording you do.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but our lives are no longer private, someone is always watching over our shoulder. Many places have cameras on traffic signals watching our driving, look around most retail stores, cameras recording while we shop, everyone has a cellphone with a camera and we may find ourselves on the internet, my "day job" has cameras around the building and grounds (TV screen in front office displays the pictures), my "day job" has cameras on our public buses and vans (with sound). Unfortunate perhaps, but that's life today, the other side of the picture is that they do come in useful in the event of an accident or incident as it eliminates the argument of he said/she said. I figure I'm a nobody and at the age where I'll never be important or famous so if you catch a photo of me in my work clothes or a trash bag poncho while pushing snow in the winter, well enjoy the laugh.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but our lives are no longer private, someone is always watching over our shoulder. Many places have cameras on traffic signals watching our driving, look around most retail stores, cameras recording while we shop, everyone has a cellphone with a camera and we may find ourselves on the internet, my "day job" has cameras around the building and grounds (TV screen in front office displays the pictures), my "day job" has cameras on our public buses and vans (with sound). Unfortunate perhaps, but that's life today, the other side of the picture is that they do come in useful in the event of an accident or incident as it eliminates the argument of he said/she said. I figure I'm a nobody and at the age where I'll never be important or famous so if you catch a photo of me in my work clothes or a trash bag poncho while pushing snow in the winter, well enjoy the laugh.
Sorry but this is a different kind of spying. A true invasion of privacy. To watch every movement is totally uncalled for in this case.

we have a massive spy base near me where they listen to phone calls and stuff searching by code words etc - I always think if they listen to my phone calls they must be board ridged!

I have no problem with cameras, as they are all over at work. Secure facility. But some owners do not understand the impact on workers. They are useful for lawsuit prevention, parking lot security, and theft prevention.

inntropical said:
Just a quick update folks. Today, at my inn, I was told they'd been watching us for 1/2 an hour from home and told me they were trying to figure out what I was wearing cause they didn't want to be wearing the same thing. Morale of the story? I'm so actively looking at the speed of light!!! I told an innkeeper today, this is illegal. She said it wasn't because no audio is used. Really? I said well it's just plain unethical. oh dear......
I think that now you know they are doing this, planning their attire around yours, that you should change every hour. Pop on a different top. If you're allowed to wear t-shirts, change colors several times/day.

inntropical said:
I think that now you know they are doing this, planning their attire around yours, that you should change every hour. Pop on a different top. If you're allowed to wear t-shirts, change colors several times/day.
plus who plans what they are going to wear round what their staff are wearing? I neither know nor care what my chamber maid wears! we have a sudo uniform of white T-shirt and dark pants (basically so all dodgy parts are covered) and I wear whatever comes to hand when I get up!

inntropical said:
plus who plans what they are going to wear round what their staff are wearing? I neither know nor care what my chamber maid wears! we have a sudo uniform of white T-shirt and dark pants (basically so all dodgy parts are covered) and I wear whatever comes to hand when I get up!
I have polo shirts with my logo that I wear ONLY when I have guests - my uniform (with apron of course)

inntropical said:
Ha! What a joke. If they wanted to know what you were wearing #1 they could call #2 no way they needed 1/2 to figure it out. They are spying on you. Period. And they want you to know they are.

Having cameras for security is one thing, using them to spy is quite different.

Hey everyone, It's not that they were singling me out about my work attire, they came in laughing telling us all they'd been watching all us for a while and that was just one part of the conversation that was told. I looked at them and just shook my head saying, really? really? Seriously need to get a life....too me it's creepy....I've worked at retailers that of course do this, but this is just trust/control issues on their part. I firmly believe this and I asked if anything has ever happened to warrant them to put this particular camera in.....nothing.

At this point my mind would be trying to figure out how to drive them absolutely crazy. A secret satanic altar. Voodoo dolls of them? Things just to drive them out of their mind. Nothing that the guests could see, though.

At this point my mind would be trying to figure out how to drive them absolutely crazy. A secret satanic altar. Voodoo dolls of them? Things just to drive them out of their mind. Nothing that the guests could see, though.
Hahahaha! That's hilarious! I love it!

Back