Creating an OptOut of breakfast promo code

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Windy, what part is overwhelming? Perhaps there is a way to cut back.
How and what do you serve?.
After reading the responses here, I am starting to think I should just cut it back. We have a lot of offerings, made to order. I have enjoyed being so flexible and giving my guests exactly what they want, but I need things to be simpler going forward. I like the part buffet, part hot. I just have to figure out how to keep the buffet fresh and chilled. Also, where to put it, I have a small space.
Thanks for listening.
OK, this may not work for you...we are small with only 2 suites in the house and a free standing cottage. The suites are B+B suites with a complimentary full breakfast served between 8:30-9:00. For those wishing something lighter, homemade granola and yogurt, baked goods, fruit, juice and coffee are available until 9:30. Guests can choose to opt out of breakfast, but the rate is the same. We offer to bring breakfast to the room for those who want to sleep in and still have their breakfast, but we charge $25 to make it worth the extra work on our part (and to discourage this option
wink_smile.gif
).
The cottage guests have the same breakfast options with one addition. We offer a "guest house" rate for the cottage that does not include a breakfast, and has limited, rather than daily, housekeeping. Since we are working our way toward cutting back on our work, the guest house option is getting our regular guests in the habit of thinking of us as a guest house/B+B. Eventually the full breakfast option will go away all together. My Safe Serve expires next year.....I may not renew. Will see how this year goes.

Isn't breakfast complimentary? Or do you charge for it?
Oddly enough when I googled you I got this:
Camden.JPG

Apparently the second B is very important there. :) Wait, on your website it is huge and all over the place about the breakfast (in fact complimentary is used 9 times!) Sounds like people love it and it is your thing. I think you offer something special and should keep doing it.
and complimentary is used 17 times on the breakfast page.
You are pulling our leg about charging for it right, to optout?.
I have to say that I am impressed that you took time to count words on my website. I presented a question here and wanted opinions, not a review of my website. Yes, I get that breakfast is important, but in a changing lodging climate I feel I have to navigate. Do millennials want breakfast or just a cheap room? Do older people want a discount, some don't even eat breakfast. The new online competitors have created different expectations in the B&B world. Being able to personalize your stay could mean opting out of a Fantastic breakfast.
Windward said:
I have to say that I am impressed that you took time to count words on my website. I presented a question here and wanted opinions, not a review of my website. Yes, I get that breakfast is important, but in a changing lodging climate I feel I have to navigate. Do millennials want breakfast or just a cheap room? Do older people want a discount, some don't even eat breakfast. The new online competitors have created different expectations in the B&B world. Being able to personalize your stay could mean opting out of a Fantastic breakfast.
Ctrl F - it ain't rocket science
Okay so I actually gave you an opinion that breakfast is your thing...maybe I will reconsider my kind comments and really review your website that has a floating header blocking the entire page making in impossible to navigate.
Thank you for pointing that out. I designed this site about a year ago and did no one ever commented on the floating header. I changed it. Thank, you very much!

Camden.JPG

Apparently the second B is very important there. :) Wait, on your website it is huge and all over the place about the breakfast (in fact complimentary is used 9 times!) Sounds like people love it and it is your thing. I think you offer something special and should keep doing it.
Windward said:
Okay so I actually gave you an opinion that breakfast is your thing...maybe I will reconsider my kind comments and really review your website that has a floating header blocking the entire page making in impossible to navigate.
NoHoBar said:
your website that has a floating header blocking the entire page making in impossible to navigate.
Whoa, Wini, I have to agree with NHB on this one. That floating logo is extremely distracting and covers up the text and some of the menu options. It needs to not float! With it, your otherwise lovely site makes me dizzy and want to run away ASAP.
Thanks for your comment. I designed this about a year ago and never had any comments on it. On my screen it looks ok, but I guess the floater could be annoying. I changed it. Wow, I love constructive criticism. Being in this group is already paying off.

It might boil down to $ It doesn't cost $15-20 per room to feed people. I'm not sure how many rooms you have but if enough people decided to not have breakfast because they will receive $20 discount you could be in a revenue drop.
My thinking is if you have to cook for 2 people than you still have to go through the same motions as cooking for 14. Just a little more work. We have talked about not offering breakfast in the off season during the week. Just on weekends. Dropping the rates a little for not having breakfast. But if I have to dirty up the kitchen cooking for 2 than Im going to make as much as I can if I have to do the work anyway.

Windward, you are talking about changing your niche. Every page on your website and online marketing promotes your breakfast. If you change this niche, are you prepared for negative reviews? Maybe you haven't thought that it's actually your niche, but it is.
I would suggest that with your b&b for sale, that you not change anything that obviously has been working. The last thing you want is for some negative reviews or less revenue that prospective buyers will see.

Camden.JPG

Windward said:
NoHoBar said:
your website that has a floating header blocking the entire page making in impossible to navigate.
Whoa, Wini, I have to agree with NHB on this one. That floating logo is extremely distracting and covers up the text and some of the menu options. It needs to not float! With it, your otherwise lovely site makes me dizzy and want to run away ASAP.
Thanks for your comment. I designed this about a year ago and never had any comments on it. On my screen it looks ok, but I guess the floater could be annoying. I changed it. Wow, I love constructive criticism. Being in this group is already paying off.
Better! BUT Logo is still way too big. Still covering part of menu. And covering some of the text on various pages. You need to rescale and make the logo stay in the top header portion only (above that faint grey line). Take a look at your Rooms and Gallery pages!

I knew this was a DIVI site the minute I laid eyes on it! You logo image is far to big and when it extends down into the slider, you can't even see half of it. You need to head to your theme customizer and reset your header height and logo size.

I knew this was a DIVI site the minute I laid eyes on it! You logo image is far to big and when it extends down into the slider, you can't even see half of it. You need to head to your theme customizer and reset your header height and logo size..
Yeah, What I said, but EN is the expert.

I knew this was a DIVI site the minute I laid eyes on it! You logo image is far to big and when it extends down into the slider, you can't even see half of it. You need to head to your theme customizer and reset your header height and logo size..
I knew this was a DIVI site the minute I laid eyes on it! You logo image is far to big and when it extends down into the slider, you can't even see half of it. You need to head to your theme customizer and reset your heade r height and logo size.
You might try the center header layout and see if that works better for you. That way it is centered above everything and the menu below. You don't want a drop down menu it the top menu bar. It should be with your main menu
Are you using some custom css on your site ? That may be the issue.
Your meta page title are more like descriptions and are being truncated. Those phrases should be in your meta description.
Also why aren't you using full width sections? You are wasting alot of territory on your pages.
Sorry I didn't mean to do a review of your site here :-( I am just in that mode today because I have 3 client sites I am editing and changing code for right now :-(
If you want to get in on a great DIVI support group, let me know, I will add you. They have taught me so much over the years!

I knew this was a DIVI site the minute I laid eyes on it! You logo image is far to big and when it extends down into the slider, you can't even see half of it. You need to head to your theme customizer and reset your heade r height and logo size.
You might try the center header layout and see if that works better for you. That way it is centered above everything and the menu below. You don't want a drop down menu it the top menu bar. It should be with your main menu
Your meta page title are more like descriptions and are being truncated. Those phrases should be in your meta description.
Also why aren't you using full width sections? You are wasting alot of territory on your pages.
Sorry I didn't mean to do a review of your site here :-( I am just in that mode today because I have 3 client sites I am editing and changing code for right now :-(
If you want to get in on a great DIVI support group, let me know, I will add you. They have taught me so much over the years!
Thank you for all your comments. I changed some things already. What a great bunch of people on this group!

Thank you for all your comments. I changed some things already. What a great bunch of people on this group!
Sorry can I share a bit more? You need to enable the Back to top feature in theme options because it is a lot of scrolling from the bottom of the page
you may want to do some customizing for your slider titles under advance options for each slides so text is more readable. If you know media queries you can better size your slider images for mobile display

Windward, you are talking about changing your niche. Every page on your website and online marketing promotes your breakfast. If you change this niche, are you prepared for negative reviews? Maybe you haven't thought that it's actually your niche, but it is.
I would suggest that with your b&b for sale, that you not change anything that obviously has been working. The last thing you want is for some negative reviews or less revenue that prospective buyers will see..
Good advice, thank you very much.

A vast improvement! So much better.
From my own personal point of view, I think that you need some more color on the pages. Am not a fan of all the black/grey toned fonts, etc. Maybe EN has an opinion.

A vast improvement! So much better.
From my own personal point of view, I think that you need some more color on the pages. Am not a fan of all the black/grey toned fonts, etc. Maybe EN has an opinion.
I agree with you momma

If you do go forward with your plan, I wouldn't deduct so much. I get that you really want to streamline your morning, but breakfast doesn't cost that much and you'll be really impacting the bottom line. If you're for sale, that's not something you want to do.
Because she owned her own inn, why not ask your broker for some ideas on streamlining? WWDD?
And, for the same reason -being for sale - you might want to create an alias here so searches on your inn don't turn up here and show you kibbitzing.

If you do go forward with your plan, I wouldn't deduct so much. I get that you really want to streamline your morning, but breakfast doesn't cost that much and you'll be really impacting the bottom line. If you're for sale, that's not something you want to do.
Because she owned her own inn, why not ask your broker for some ideas on streamlining? WWDD?
And, for the same reason -being for sale - you might want to create an alias here so searches on your inn don't turn up here and show you kibbitzing..
Morticia said:
And, for the same reason -being for sale - you might want to create an alias here so searches on your inn don't turn up here and show you kibbitzing.
Yes, I agree. Especially the alias.

Windward said:
What a huge improvement! I agree with the others about it being too white. I'm a simple/elegant website type of person, and even I think there's too much white. A nice subtle background would be great.
BTW, thank you for taking these suggestions in the spirit which they were given. So many new members here get their feelings hurt and think we're just mean so they go away. This is a great group who wants the best for each member.

Windward said:
What a huge improvement! I agree with the others about it being too white. I'm a simple/elegant website type of person, and even I think there's too much white. A nice subtle background would be great.
BTW, thank you for taking these suggestions in the spirit which they were given. So many new members here get their feelings hurt and think we're just mean so they go away. This is a great group who wants the best for each member.
So take a look at this DIVI THEME for a hotel. Now I don't like it so dark and there are things I would change for sure..but just an idea of an in your face kind of look. :)
There is a new content builder called ELEMENTOR now getting very popular. It can be used with ANY THEME. Might be something someone here would be interested in. Go here. I just watched the basic video and it looks awesome and much easier to use then the DIVI theme. I may be getting converted soon. Though I am cutting back on work for sure this year!

Back