Credit cards and criminals!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had something similar happen three years ago. The guy booked the room but emailed me no less than six times confirming my cancellation policy so I know he understood.
When he arrived he checked in and then went to visit his sister about 20 minutes away. Suddenly he was afraid to drive my mountain roads and wanted to cancel without returning.
I told him he knew my policy but he did not choose to return. I know that he decided to stay with his sister and did not want to pay.
A week later I got notification that he contested the charge on his credit card. I sent the credit card company copies of all his emails showing he knew the cancelation policy. I know they never even read my letter and ruled in his favor.
This guy worked for NASA at the Hubble Telescope so he was no dummy, just a weasel..
Curious to know if the "weasel" paid over or under $100.00 night. It has been suggested that if I charge low rate I will get the weasels. What say you???
The charge was $160 + tax per night. He booked two nights.

Welcome back Audrey, we've missed your stories. When the rest of us slow down you will have to share more as you are probably less seasonal there.
The room rates do depict more issues, that is a given. I know in San Diego the lodging has always been lower than the rest of the country, the food is less as well, and imo better than most any city. That is something that many can't comprehend who may be charging $130+ to be in a small town. Last Christmas I paid $89 to be in Old Town (tourist area for those not familiar).
I remember when we looked at an inn in New Hampshire the owner had to compete with all the other inns and the peak season rates were ridiculously low. I had no idea, but when in Rome...

Welcome back Audrey, we've missed your stories. When the rest of us slow down you will have to share more as you are probably less seasonal there.
The room rates do depict more issues, that is a given. I know in San Diego the lodging has always been lower than the rest of the country, the food is less as well, and imo better than most any city. That is something that many can't comprehend who may be charging $130+ to be in a small town. Last Christmas I paid $89 to be in Old Town (tourist area for those not familiar).
I remember when we looked at an inn in New Hampshire the owner had to compete with all the other inns and the peak season rates were ridiculously low. I had no idea, but when in Rome....
JBloggs said:
I remember when we looked at an inn in New Hampshire the owner had to compete with all the other inns and the peak season rates were ridiculously low. I had no idea, but when in Rome...
Those rates still haven't gone up much. Everything else (food, utilities) in those areas has gone up a lot. So glad we didn't buy anything where we looked.

I remember when we looked at an inn in New Hampshire the owner had to compete with all the other inns and the peak season rates were ridiculously low. I had no idea, but when in Rome....
JBloggs said:
Those rates still haven't gone up much. Everything else (food, utilities) in those areas has gone up a lot. So glad we didn't buy anything where we looked.
They probably need one brave soul to dive in with an increase so they can all raise rates.

JBloggs said:
They probably need one brave soul to dive in with an increase so they can all raise rates.
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
YES! Why do prices plunge in the winter?!? We work harder and costs are higher. I know its because there are less people traveling but if we all band together and keep prices reasonable, I don't think people won't come…. I mean a place down the street starts at $375 in summer and $55 in winter…. Really?!?

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
I know I do that! But I do lower rates in winter. I've started winter rates in Oct this year. No one is booking.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
YES! Why do prices plunge in the winter?!? We work harder and costs are higher. I know its because there are less people traveling but if we all band together and keep prices reasonable, I don't think people won't come…. I mean a place down the street starts at $375 in summer and $55 in winter…. Really?!?
My rates stay the same - year round. I still get people who are traveling. The gas bill is higher in winter than the electric bill in summer. And since my rooms are electric baseboard heat, they are only heated when we have guests. Even with the heat on in those rooms, electric bill is not as bad as the gas bill that heats the first floor only.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
My rates stay the same - year round. I still get people who are traveling. The gas bill is higher in winter than the electric bill in summer. And since my rooms are electric baseboard heat, they are only heated when we have guests. Even with the heat on in those rooms, electric bill is not as bad as the gas bill that heats the first floor only.
Ours are determined by supply and demand. Much more demand in the summer, so rates are higher.
We've talked about raising rates for 4th of July weekend, Labor Day and other festival weekends, but we haven't done it.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Gillum said: "My rates stay the same - year round".
Yep same here. My stock answer to winter discounts is: "We don't jack our rates in Summer"

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Yep same here. My stock answer to winter discounts is: "We don't jack our rates in Summer"
We've always keep the same rates year round, okay, partly not being sure I could keep up with the changes, but does it place me at a disadvantage with those that play the game? Granted we are different as a tiny motel competing with large properties that change rates by the hour. I don't want to be outrageous during the good times, yet on a slow time I may be high if I don't change a bit based on demand.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
We've always keep the same rates year round, okay, partly not being sure I could keep up with the changes, but does it place me at a disadvantage with those that play the game? Granted we are different as a tiny motel competing with large properties that change rates by the hour. I don't want to be outrageous during the good times, yet on a slow time I may be high if I don't change a bit based on demand.
The quality is still there. I do not get actual potential guests looking for cut-rates, those who are in that category are people I do not want anyway. Winter or summer, my guests get value. I am not going to cheapen my product - reduced rate says "you can't sell me any other way" - it becomes the "let's get rid of it", Clearance Rack item.That is not us.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
The quality is still there. I do not get actual potential guests looking for cut-rates, those who are in that category are people I do not want anyway. Winter or summer, my guests get value. I am not going to cheapen my product - reduced rate says "you can't sell me any other way" - it becomes the "let's get rid of it", Clearance Rack item.That is not us.
Oh I agree with what you are saying and never would suggest a fire sale rate, as you say I don't want "those" guests, however in our case we are 8 rooms in an area with a dozen or more large newer properties, this month, October, we are probably priced pretty close with the place that I'd call less desirable while those I'd call nice are prices from 25 to 200 higher than our rate. We hold out for both Friday and Saturday bookings and get the nice guests that I enjoy, but probably could nudge rates up a little this season and still get the nice folks, yet in the slower seasons those same new properties more nearly in line with mine as they are large and need to fill rooms and the perception is that they are new and we are old, I'm just feeling out the idea of a small swing up in the prime periods and down is the slack periods.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
Oh I agree with what you are saying and never would suggest a fire sale rate, as you say I don't want "those" guests, however in our case we are 8 rooms in an area with a dozen or more large newer properties, this month, October, we are probably priced pretty close with the place that I'd call less desirable while those I'd call nice are prices from 25 to 200 higher than our rate. We hold out for both Friday and Saturday bookings and get the nice guests that I enjoy, but probably could nudge rates up a little this season and still get the nice folks, yet in the slower seasons those same new properties more nearly in line with mine as they are large and need to fill rooms and the perception is that they are new and we are old, I'm just feeling out the idea of a small swing up in the prime periods and down is the slack periods.
JimBoone said:
, I'm just feeling out the idea of a small swing up in the prime periods and down is the slack periods.
This makes complete sense. You are still at the price point you think is best, but you're putting a little more away in the busy season.
The hotel next to me runs around $300 - $400+/night in peak season. They do a winter special where you get a room and dinner for $125. There is no way I can top that. We don't even try to price like they do. Guests who would pay $325 for a room there would laugh if I charged that amount. But guests do stay with us who used to stay there and they like the quiet atmosphere here better.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
JimBoone said:
We've always keep the same rates year round, okay, partly not being sure I could keep up with the changes, but does it place me at a disadvantage with those that play the game?
Well now that you are using ResKey you should be able to keep up with any rate change that you add on the site. And it is so easy to set it up. You can even have it set up to automatically change any min. night stay policy if it doesn't sell by a certain time frame. Keeps you from having to make manual changes as the date gets close.

JBloggs said:
gillumhouse said:
thumbs_up.gif
JimBoone said:
We've always keep the same rates year round, okay, partly not being sure I could keep up with the changes, but does it place me at a disadvantage with those that play the game?
Well now that you are using ResKey you should be able to keep up with any rate change that you add on the site. And it is so easy to set it up. You can even have it set up to automatically change any min. night stay policy if it doesn't sell by a certain time frame. Keeps you from having to make manual changes as the date gets close.
That was exactly my thinking, that using ResKey might allow me to make small changes that would make me more competitive and improve the bottom line a bit, of course getting my best girl to become comfortable with computers, well that may be a slower process.

I lower my rates because anyone travelling in my area in the off-season deserves a medal! If not the medal at least a reduction in my rates. Any bookings I get then are nice just to off-set my expenses and I do cooked to order meals then too to bring in a little extra income. Too busy in the tourist season to do this kind of cooking but I don't mind when I'm not busy.

We need to offer an incentive for people to go places in the off peak season, it is the same everywhere.

We need to offer an incentive for people to go places in the off peak season, it is the same everywhere..
JBloggs said:
We need to offer an incentive for people to go places in the off peak season, it is the same everywhere.
How about selling them gift cards from bnb . com? <Sarcasm>

We need to offer an incentive for people to go places in the off peak season, it is the same everywhere..
JBloggs said:
How about selling them gift cards from bnb . com? <Sarcasm>
Our own gift cards are priced and marked, good for 1 night in the summer or 2 in the winter!

Back