Crossed another benchmark

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
There are many days when I feel that there should be something between "aspiring" and "newbie." Almost as if I am still too clueless or inexperienced to be a real innkeeper, newbie or not.
But, we have passed yet another benchmark in our growth. Starting tonight, the phone gets turned off at 8 PM. Guests in house can knock on our private door.or ring the bell if it's later than 10. (We're usually pretty easy to find until then.)
Granted, I really felt bad for the woman who was on the road at 3 AM looking for a place to stay...but that probably didn't come across...especially since the first two handsets I picked up had dead batteries (or maybe that was my sleep addled brain...)
The lady last night, I didn't feel so sorry for. She couldn't have asked the questions she did without looking at our website, but decided to call *me* instead of continuing to click and read. AND we didn't even have availability for her date...(oh, wait, she would have seen that if she'd kept clicking...)
Anyway, I figure that getting a cheerful message suggesting they "call back after breakfast has been served or feel free to peruse our website in the meantime" will be better PR than my interrupted-sleep-phone persona.

I no longer answer the phone late at night either. (I look at the caller ID to make sure it is not my family calling with an emergency. - have elderly father)
Calling that late they are either A) looking for a hotel or B) thinking a b&b may be cheaper than A

I also don't answer after 9pm. I turn the phone off and it just goes to voice mail. Guests know where I am or they can call my cell phone which is posted in the room if there is a dire emergency. I don't answer until after breakfast has been served in the morning.

If I could, I would unplug at 9:00 also. My problem is that there is no cell service at our b&b so our guests can't be reached in case of an emergency.
If you have cell service at your place, then by all means, give yourself some peace and quiet!

Latest posts

Back