Customer Service with a smile, please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know that part of the standard training by each cruise line is how to smile? They teach them how to smile, how to make it seem natural and how people want to see them smile..
I think the other point which your comment alludes to is... these people are not smiling at customers because they want to, they are doing it because they've been trained or told they have to. That comes from the top down, which is why I don't have much time for chain hotels where a I don't get at least a welcome or smile.
Although that can go the other way, we recently stayed in a hotel with friends. We checked in and the lady at the front desk was very helpful and told us all about the hotel and it's facilities when we arrived, including breakfast and the restaurant. All very good. When we met with our friends they said they were in a queue of 3 people waiting to check in so they heard the same spiel 3 times. I'm always very conscious of that when I check two groups in one after t'other.

Did you know that part of the standard training by each cruise line is how to smile? They teach them how to smile, how to make it seem natural and how people want to see them smile..
I think the other point which your comment alludes to is... these people are not smiling at customers because they want to, they are doing it because they've been trained or told they have to. That comes from the top down, which is why I don't have much time for chain hotels where a I don't get at least a welcome or smile.
Although that can go the other way, we recently stayed in a hotel with friends. We checked in and the lady at the front desk was very helpful and told us all about the hotel and it's facilities when we arrived, including breakfast and the restaurant. All very good. When we met with our friends they said they were in a queue of 3 people waiting to check in so they heard the same spiel 3 times. I'm always very conscious of that when I check two groups in one after t'other.
Then again. Amazed at the number of guests who tune out completely when someone is ahead of them.
Because I'll say, 'did you catch all of that spiel?' Quite a lot weren't paying any mind at all.
Oddly, the ones who were ask me to repeat the door code. Everyone gets their own and these poor folks are trying to remember someone else's code.

Then again. Amazed at the number of guests who tune out completely when someone is ahead of them.
Because I'll say, 'did you catch all of that spiel?' Quite a lot weren't paying any mind at all.
Oddly, the ones who were ask me to repeat the door code. Everyone gets their own and these poor folks are trying to remember someone else's code.
Morticia said:
Quite a lot weren't paying any mind at all.
Including when you're giving them their own personal spiel.

Back