Difficult dietary needs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just serve her eggs tomorrow. Bacon is low carb. And it's pork, she didn't mention the feed for that.
Mushroom, brocolli, spinach and avocado are low
Fruit is tough on low carb so I wouldn't even be concerned - let her choose if you offer any.
Oatmeal is not low carb that's why no oatmeal.
Grass fed beef tastes different from other beef ... but I also buy cage free eggs for me and I don't taste a difference. I don't serve fish at breakast. Organic? Yes, if you usually shop this way ... But these are her personal choices and they jump the price on every single item, sometimes double. Without seeing sources it's hard to guarantee anything.
I can't imagine you're seeing this since you've got a medical procedure in an hour but I wouldn't divulge your personal info - medical procedure if you feel the need to say anything..
seashanty said:
Grass fed beef tastes different from other beef ... but I also buy cage free eggs for me and I don't taste a difference. I don't serve fish at breakast. Organic? Yes, if you usually shop this way ... But these are her personal choices and they jump the price on every single item, sometimes double. Without seeing sources it's hard to guarantee anything.
This statement is illuminating. I am thinking that personal preference statements outside what we serve, are an extra charge. Per request. After all, you have to go out and shop again, often at additional charge so something like this for mine (note the line of humor):
"We provide several delicious homemade options (chef's choice) for our guests. We remove most common allergens and disliked foods from our menu. One choice is generally GF/lactose free/vegan. Personal preferences like cage free quail eggs or organic Yak butter, IF available, bear an extra charge to cover our special shopping trip and costs. And they must be arranged well in advance. If you wish to bring these along, we will do our best to prep them for you. Otherwise, we may not be the best fit for your particular needs."
Don't expect everyone to get your humor...some will demand cage free hens eggs and organic cow's butter because you never said you did not offer those common ingredients for breakfast. Also, expect quite a few GF/lactose free/vegans as guests. You will basically be inviting them to join you and will be creating a special niche for your business. As long as that is what you want, it will generate business for you.
Can't help thinking of the post here that someone wanted their blueberries peeled. I likely would have responded that either our blueberry peeler did not come to work today, or fine - $7 a blueberry...
ANYWAY:
I have no problem with special diets - I think this is the future. I just think it needs to be managed efficiently. As I said previously, my overall meal plan is:
o Eliminate most of the top 10 allergens (except eggs).
o Eliminate most of the top 10 disliked foods (most of them are not breakfast foods).
o Have several breakfast choices (chef's choice) and several additive choices (coconut milk, milk, almond milk), sweeteners, etc.
o Super cereal (cheerios, bran flakes, cherry/blueberry concentrate, some type of milk, sunflower seeds/ almonds, dried berries, splenda, cinnamon, quercitin powder - this is what I eat 80% of the time for breakfast - very tasty and very healthy).
o Yogurts, fruit, etc. available.
o Keep prepared ramekins in deep freeze, labeled "GF", "Lactose intolerant", "vegan", etc. Can be pulled and thawed/reheated in short time.
o Special requests must be submitted well in advance. Extra price for requests, and only if available.
o Distribute/collect cards the night before for them to check off issues and choices. They whine the next morning because they ignored the card, then VERY tough noogies. Everyone else did this.
Agree with offering sides of cereals and yogurt. We do that and it goes over well. I'm always surprised at how many people really like Raisin Bran. Also, the Special K GF goes quickly.
I will say that before we started, I had planned to publish a weather report and things to do list daily. I now laugh at myself. There is precious little time if you want to have any life at all. So publishing a menu and collecting them and cooking to them sounds like a lot of work. I'm sure it would be very much appreciated by your guests.
In my world, once I pour my wine and start my dinner, I don't go back into the inn unless someone rings the bell.
Offering several things mostly because I do not agree with the concept of chef's (1) choice - take it or leave it. If I pay $150 to stay at a B&B, and the only offering was something I disliked and it was take it or leave it, I would be a very unhappy camper. I have stayed nicely in Super 8 type places for $65 with clean rooms, cable TV, wifi, nice bathroom, cleaning service daily and no complaints. The breakfast may be iffy, but there is always something I like. And for $12, I could get a nice breakfast in many places. This is the real competition and there is a lot of it.
Like the post the other day where the owner expected the person to down the ?baked grapefruit? Breakfast is half the experience. Some of the responses here seem to think that this business is for the convenience of the owner - it is not.
undersea said:
Some of the responses here seem to think that this business is for the convenience of the owner - it is not.
I'll bring this to your attention...it's not just us whiny innkeepers...it's trained, professional chefs who have a problem with this in their chef-y kitchens with all the ingredients at hand and the knowledge of how to do it with their eyes closed.
Definitely not planning substitutions. You want cagefree, go to wrestlemania...
Yet there is nothing wrong with making a GF version of our Blueberry Raspberry Stuffed French Toast. We merely substitute GF bread in any of our items for their individual portion. If someone is GF and Dairy, they get almond milk substituted too. Diverticulitis with no seeds, we rearrange or substitute the fruit. No peppers or no heat, nope not in theirs... it goes on and on. And guests are oh so grateful, which results in oh so wonderful reviews, and oh so busyness.
Again there is no black or white only flexibility. As all the other wise innkeepers here are saying, go with the flow, don't get your feet stuck in concrete.
Momma Smurf said:
Yet there is nothing wrong with making a GF version of our Blueberry Raspberry Stuffed French Toast. We merely substitute GF bread in any of our items for their individual portion. If someone is GF and Dairy, they get almond milk substituted too. Diverticulitis with no seeds, we rearrange or substitute the fruit. No peppers or no heat, nope not in theirs... it goes on and on. And guests are oh so grateful, which results in oh so wonderful reviews, and oh so busyness.
Again there is no black or white only flexibility. As all the other wise innkeepers here are saying, go with the flow, don't get your feet stuck in concrete.
Funny thing. We do all of that, too. And get nothing for it. No thanks, no nothing. Then again, we get those difficult guests who are used to demanding what they want.
And when we went the extra mile today to make the GF breakfast? "I don't eat that."
Maybe I need to change my presentation.
We always ask everyone at check-in whether they have any dietary issues cause often the BF Or DH forgets significant other's issues (this despite our inquiring at the time of reservation.) If we know that someone needs a special request for a dietary substitute, we say at check-in: "We are making a Blueberry-Raspberry Stuffed French Toast tomorrow, would it be all right if we made this for you with GF bread?" They are usually thrilled and we know ahead of time they've consented and will eat it. If it doesn't work, we will offer fancy scrambled eggs with fresh veggies and herbs. AND when we bring it out, we say here's your special ....
Because we also serve a family style all-you-want buffet: bowl of mixed fruit, two types of yogurt, homemade granola and cereal du jour, 2 juices, basket of 6 assorted breads, jams, etc, no one has an excuse to go hungry. Nor do they abuse over-portioning. And if they come down before the hot item is ready, they can have pre-breakfast.
After a discussion earlier here, we bought Texas-size Muffin tins that hold 6 portions each, and have adapted many of our prior "casserole items" to now make individual portions (which also allows more flexibility to tweak dietary issues). When we do Quiche, we have 2 pretty pottery pans that hold 6 portions each. If we want to mix up presentation, we also have 2 lovely hand-painted casseroles that hold 6 portions each. That said, when we are at 95% occupancy and most guests eat on the porch, we set up trays, and folks help themselves to their entrée that holds very nicely on our great hot plate. We also always serve a side of meat: maple sausages, Canadian bacon, honeyed-ham medallions, bacon, etc. So everything is pre-vegetarian. If we are serving a sweet item, there are always hard-boiled eggs available on the table for those who wish savory.
Guests come down anytime between 8:30 to 10:00 and help themselves. With the hot plate, and the other 6 portions in our oven warming drawer, nothing deteriorates. Poppa & I are both totally free during breakfast to facilitate conversation, do maps, etc. We just need to keep and eye on occasionally replenishing.
When it slows down to maybe just three rooms, we still set up the help yourself foods, but often do more individual plating of entrees that are a bit more creative .

Give them a discount for "no breakfast" option and tell them to find the breakfast elsewhere..
breakfast is complimentary...you don't eat it...NO discount
what !! No discount .... no comp? wow yet it is a bed and a breakfast.! I am sorry but some times I just can't understand you all .Don't get me wrong I am in business not a give away job.
When do you decide it is comp worth or not?
I figure since I say "The complimentary FULL breakfast (cook's choice) is served at the time you specify each morning (between the hours of 4:00 AM and 10 AM - please)." on my web site, I have covered the options. To date: the only ones who turned down breakfast were people who did not want me to get up early - so I made them a "to-go" breakfast which was appreciated. So it is their choice eat it or not but since it is complimentary no discount (if you choose to not avail yourself of making your own waffle in the machine that undercooks them, the hotel/motels is not giving a discount either. I am still nicer.)

Give them a discount for "no breakfast" option and tell them to find the breakfast elsewhere..
breakfast is complimentary...you don't eat it...NO discount
what !! No discount .... no comp? wow yet it is a bed and a breakfast.! I am sorry but some times I just can't understand you all .Don't get me wrong I am in business not a give away job.
When do you decide it is comp worth or not?
I figure since I say "The complimentary FULL breakfast (cook's choice) is served at the time you specify each morning (between the hours of 4:00 AM and 10 AM - please)." on my web site, I have covered the options. To date: the only ones who turned down breakfast were people who did not want me to get up early - so I made them a "to-go" breakfast which was appreciated. So it is their choice eat it or not but since it is complimentary no discount (if you choose to not avail yourself of making your own waffle in the machine that undercooks them, the hotel/motels is not giving a discount either. I am still nicer.)
It's all how you advertise on your website. I never say it is "complementary" and we do offer "no breakfast" option. We are in a very large city, lot of choices and many reasons why people come here. I rather give them 6% discount than cook the breakfast at 6 am. It is a small discount and they will have a hard time to purchase a good breakfast for that price elsewhere but many guests do not care for breakfast and they are happy to take the reduction in price.

Never considered that April.
However, my best Trip advisor reviews always include the breakfast. Have to think about that one.

Back