Dining room chairs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you mention it...this morning I did some work on our B+B table and windsor chairs! I use a product called Howard's Restore a Finish, which works miracles without stripping or a lot of work. The table looks like it has just been refinished, no more white marks from hot cups etc and all the scratches have blended into the table....same thing with the chairs. For really stubborn white rings I lightly use 0000 steel wool, always going in the direction of the grain.
Before you go crazy, consider trying this product. It comes in a variety of wood colors and can be over-coated with wax if you need extra protection. If you want a cottage look, consider a bright chair pad.
I recently got rid of the lace at the window as well. Shutters worked wonders to update the look. But even miniblinds would work in a less formal setting. They open up the space and give it a more current look..
We have mini blinds so that's a start. Some of the windows have lace curtains which have to go. I have been swapping those out as I strip the wallpaper.
Will test a couple of different wood refinisher products mentioned. Thanks!

Funny you mention it...this morning I did some work on our B+B table and windsor chairs! I use a product called Howard's Restore a Finish, which works miracles without stripping or a lot of work. The table looks like it has just been refinished, no more white marks from hot cups etc and all the scratches have blended into the table....same thing with the chairs. For really stubborn white rings I lightly use 0000 steel wool, always going in the direction of the grain.
Before you go crazy, consider trying this product. It comes in a variety of wood colors and can be over-coated with wax if you need extra protection. If you want a cottage look, consider a bright chair pad.
I recently got rid of the lace at the window as well. Shutters worked wonders to update the look. But even miniblinds would work in a less formal setting. They open up the space and give it a more current look..
We have mini blinds so that's a start. Some of the windows have lace curtains which have to go. I have been swapping those out as I strip the wallpaper.
Madeleine said:
Music to my ears!! I've stripped some 4 dozen walls of wallpaper since we've been here and 'de-Victorian-ized' the place as much as possible for now with a limited budget. When you remove stuff like curtains, you need to put something in its place, no? Not that I mind the Victorian decor, you see, it's just that it has it's place (preferably in a Victorian style home!) We have a 4-square farm house and the Victorian decor was wwwwaaayyy over-done!

Madeleine said:
Music to my ears!! I've stripped some 4 dozen walls of wallpaper since we've been here and 'de-Victorian-ized' the place as much as possible for now with a limited budget. When you remove stuff like curtains, you need to put something in its place, no? Not that I mind the Victorian decor, you see, it's just that it has it's place (preferably in a Victorian style home!) We have a 4-square farm house and the Victorian decor was wwwwaaayyy over-done!
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
My place is a four-square also. We had 8 layers of wallpaper with a layer or 2 of paint mixed into those layers - including on the ceilings - and in every room except the litchen. The kitchen only dated to early 1950 because it used to be the back porch.

Madeleine said:
In place of the lace curtains are light blocking panels in colors that match the rooms.

I go with painting them.
I'm experiencing an interesting thing.... Since I set up the tea room with small tables for two.. (used to be one big table) our guests are leaving BIG tips at tables! I've been left $25 and two $20 tips at the tables this weekend.
No one left tips on the table before.
Also people are saying things like," this is the nicest place we've eaten in a long time!"
isn't it funny how even tho the food quality and the service hasn't changed, guests perceptions are changed because of the change of tables!.
LOL, I found if I include the charge for the optional dinners at check in, no tips, but the first time I forgot to do so and slid them a bill at dinner time, as in a restaurant, voila - tip. Do I 'forget' every time, well, no, but I leave it off the bill at check in if they say they might include another guest or two. With my Simple Suppers, no big, I can always add one or two more with little notice.

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
My place is a four-square also. We had 8 layers of wallpaper with a layer or 2 of paint mixed into those layers - including on the ceilings - and in every room except the litchen. The kitchen only dated to early 1950 because it used to be the back porch.
tell me about it! we are 107 next birthday! just got our new carpet in took from 11am-9.45pm to get it in! looks amazing though - 2 staircases at 2 and a half flights each! DH feels like his arm is going to come off from vacuuming. Did 4 car loads to the tip (on a shuttle with help from my dad!) still will be at least 3 more but the tip is closed on Wednesday! grrr

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
tell me about it! we are 107 next birthday! just got our new carpet in took from 11am-9.45pm to get it in! looks amazing though - 2 staircases at 2 and a half flights each! DH feels like his arm is going to come off from vacuuming. Did 4 car loads to the tip (on a shuttle with help from my dad!) still will be at least 3 more but the tip is closed on Wednesday! grrr
We are of the same era - my house will soon be 102.

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Ah, the young'uns.... House is 128 years old. And still the "new" house, since the last one was 3 years older.

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Ah, the young'uns.... House is 128 years old. And still the "new" house, since the last one was 3 years older.
Got ya beat! In 2014 this Greek Revival will be 150 years old! We have been the lucky (but broke!) owners for the last 25 of those years. I'm trying to figure out the best way to give the house a proper birthday party...any ideas?

Oooh, oooh, can I play too? One of our "cottages," the Farmhouse, was built circa 1780, so that makes it about 233 years old.... The "new" house (where our office is located) was built by Wendy's triple great-grandfather in 1870 (so a mere 143 years old).

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Got ya beat! In 2014 this Greek Revival will be 150 years old! We have been the lucky (but broke!) owners for the last 25 of those years. I'm trying to figure out the best way to give the house a proper birthday party...any ideas?
Silverspoon said:
When my house had its 100th birthday, I made 3 or more nights reservations (most reservations are for 2 nights), the 3rd night was 19.12 + tax but the 4th and consecutive nights went back to regular price. I had 4 take advantage of this - 2 of them booked here BECAUSE of that. This year was WV 150 birthday so the third night was $18.63 + tax and I did get a reservation because of it. Instead of that rate, you could take $18.64 OFF the third night or last night.
You could pick a date on a weekend when you would normally not be booked anyway - or even make it an all week deal - with balloons, cake, door prizes (small stuff) DJ, dancing... make it a birthday party.

Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Silverspoon said:
When my house had its 100th birthday, I made 3 or more nights reservations (most reservations are for 2 nights), the 3rd night was 19.12 + tax but the 4th and consecutive nights went back to regular price. I had 4 take advantage of this - 2 of them booked here BECAUSE of that. This year was WV 150 birthday so the third night was $18.63 + tax and I did get a reservation because of it. Instead of that rate, you could take $18.64 OFF the third night or last night.
You could pick a date on a weekend when you would normally not be booked anyway - or even make it an all week deal - with balloons, cake, door prizes (small stuff) DJ, dancing... make it a birthday party.
Thanks Kathleen, I'll take a look at one of the slower months like April and do some variation like you explained. I'm too cheap to give nights for $18.64 but I might give one for $150 if it were a second night tacked onto a full price night. And the door prize might be a nice enticement....maybe the names of all guests staying in April would be eligible for a raffle of a free night in the fall. Hmmmm, I'll give it some thought.
Sorry for the hijack!

Back