Dishwasher

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new dishwasher is going in now...yeah yeah I know I said that already, but the other NEW ONE was horrible. And that brand, every rack was the same in every model (about 8 models of them, same layout inside which was NO GOOD for us). So this one is just right, and better built too, even the insulation is better quality.
But the weird part, the new dishwashers take 2 to 3 hours to clean, so they can say they are energy efficient , they all have small motors.
So I am accusing people in this family of RESETTING IT, as a whole half a day passes I come and go and the thing is still running! Plus you must use rinse-aid, to get rid of the moisture to dry the dishes, mandatory on the new ones. I am sure BBBob can tell us all of this....
Joey Bloggs said:
But the weird part, the new dishwashers take 2 to 3 hours to clean, so they can say they are energy efficient , they all have small motors.
Plus you must use rinse-aid, to get rid of the moisture to dry the dishes, mandatory on the new ones.
Definitely you should use jet dry. Here in Canada they have removed the phosphates from almost all detergents. The drying agent helps break down debris and dry it faster
As far as the length of time, it seems a bit long. How far away is the tank from the DW? Is the water too cold? Most of the new ones will not start the countdown until the temp is in the 120° F range. If the water is too cold the internal heater will kick on. If it is a Bosch, 140°F min to about 163°F. Sani wash will lengthen the cycle time as well as the hot fry cycle. What brand/model did you get?
BBBBob
BBBBoB said:
Here in Canada they have removed the phosphates from almost all detergents.
Here in the US phosphates are gone from all detergents, and glasses come out covered in spots. But you can buy phosphate from 3rd party sources and add your own. It works.
I discovered in Sweden years ago that their appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers) are MUCH quieter than ours. The tradeoff is that the machines take much longer than I'm used to. I guess it's as said above, that smaller motors take longer but use less energy and make less noise.

The new dishwasher is going in now...yeah yeah I know I said that already, but the other NEW ONE was horrible. And that brand, every rack was the same in every model (about 8 models of them, same layout inside which was NO GOOD for us). So this one is just right, and better built too, even the insulation is better quality.
So I am accusing people in this family of RESETTING IT, as a whole half a day passes I come and go and the thing is still running! Plus you must use rinse-aid, to get rid of the moisture to dry the dishes, mandatory on the new ones. I am sure BBBob can tell us all of this....
Joey Bloggs said:
Plus you must use rinse-aid, to get rid of the moisture to dry the dishes, mandatory on the new ones.
Definitely you should use jet dry. Here in Canada they have removed the phosphates from almost all detergents. The drying agent helps break down debris and dry it faster
As far as the length of time, it seems a bit long. How far away is the tank from the DW? Is the water too cold? Most of the new ones will not start the countdown until the temp is in the 120° F range. If the water is too cold the internal heater will kick on. If it is a Bosch, 140°F min to about 163°F. Sani wash will lengthen the cycle time as well as the hot fry cycle. What brand/model did you get?
BBBBob
BBBBoB said:
Here in the US phosphates are gone from all detergents, and glasses come out covered in spots. But you can buy phosphate from 3rd party sources and add your own. It works.
I discovered in Sweden years ago that their appliances (washers, dryers, dishwashers) are MUCH quieter than ours. The tradeoff is that the machines take much longer than I'm used to. I guess it's as said above, that smaller motors take longer but use less energy and make less noise.
There is a serious reason why phosphates were removed. the algae problem was clogging up the lakes and streams.
Our wash takes 2 hours and 9 minutes if you have rinse aid, if you don't it's 2 hours 24 minutes. We use the rinse aid. But we can get the dishes pretty much clean with the short wash, which is about 1 hour, unless the dishes are really overly dirty or there is baked on dirt.

Joey Bloggs said:
BBBBob
BBBBoB said:
There is a serious reason why phosphates were removed. the algae problem was clogging up the lakes and streams.
Our wash takes 2 hours and 9 minutes if you have rinse aid, if you don't it's 2 hours 24 minutes. We use the rinse aid. But we can get the dishes pretty much clean with the short wash, which is about 1 hour, unless the dishes are really overly dirty or there is baked on dirt.
ours has a quick wash - 1 hour which I use for things like side plates and saucers as arnt that dirty and the main cycle is 2 hours - no rince aid required and everything comes out clean
We have had our beco for 1 and a half years now - no problems.

Our Miele takes 2 hours, we don't use "rinse aid" but "shine/gloss rinse" I am sure it is the same.... Here all DW take about the same time for the regular programs. The alternative is a commercial dishwasher, they take 2 minutes (one rack at the time),the water used is kept hot and reused 10 times. Big $$$$ machine....

It is the manual that says it takes longer than what we are used to, 2-3 hours it says. I have it and can show you or scan it, it is not us, or water supply. The manual states this. Whirlpool brand.

It is the manual that says it takes longer than what we are used to, 2-3 hours it says. I have it and can show you or scan it, it is not us, or water supply. The manual states this. Whirlpool brand..
Yes, it's the new way that they make the machines energy efficient. They gain efficiency but lose speed. It can take longer if your water supply isn't hot enough, because it then needs to heat the water. It also uses a lot less water.

Our Miele takes 2 hours, we don't use "rinse aid" but "shine/gloss rinse" I am sure it is the same.... Here all DW take about the same time for the regular programs. The alternative is a commercial dishwasher, they take 2 minutes (one rack at the time),the water used is kept hot and reused 10 times. Big $$$$ machine.....
not only are they big bucks to buy they are big bucks to repair - plus getting a repair man is as rare as hens teeth!

Joey Bloggs said:
BBBBob
Our health department here required us to have a dishwasher with a sani-rinse cycle.

Have you thought about installing a commercial dishwasher? We inherited one when we bought the Lodge, and while there is no one in the world who can service it any more, I've taken it apart a time or two, replaced a motor, replaced the heating element, etc.

It cycles in under ten minutes, and that includes the sanitizer. They are hideously expensive when bought new, but in any large city with a wholesale/retail restaurant supply store, you can usually find a few on consignment. Restaurants go out of business all the time. And the price is always negotiable.
These kind of machines have trays that you load, then slide into the machine. Close the door; flip a switch; presto, you have clean dishes ten minutes later. Of course, by most health department regulations, the dishes must air dry (no touching them with drying towels). So depending on the load, you may find yourself feeding the monster every ten minutes or so.
DW wants to buy a "real" dishwasher, but at 2+ hours for one load, that's crazy. We have 14 rooms and feed guests supper in addition to breakfast during ski season, and no family dishwasher on the market with that sort of turn-around could meet our needs.

DW argues that we should buy 2. I reply that hiring a ski-bum to wash dishes at 2 in the morning after his video-gaming buddies in the east go to sleep is a good investment. Shoot, his ski pass costs less than a third of one of those whizz-bang machines, and it doesn't take him two hours to wash all the dishes and clean the kitchen.
Tom

Have you thought about installing a commercial dishwasher? We inherited one when we bought the Lodge, and while there is no one in the world who can service it any more, I've taken it apart a time or two, replaced a motor, replaced the heating element, etc.

It cycles in under ten minutes, and that includes the sanitizer. They are hideously expensive when bought new, but in any large city with a wholesale/retail restaurant supply store, you can usually find a few on consignment. Restaurants go out of business all the time. And the price is always negotiable.
These kind of machines have trays that you load, then slide into the machine. Close the door; flip a switch; presto, you have clean dishes ten minutes later. Of course, by most health department regulations, the dishes must air dry (no touching them with drying towels). So depending on the load, you may find yourself feeding the monster every ten minutes or so.
DW wants to buy a "real" dishwasher, but at 2+ hours for one load, that's crazy. We have 14 rooms and feed guests supper in addition to breakfast during ski season, and no family dishwasher on the market with that sort of turn-around could meet our needs.

DW argues that we should buy 2. I reply that hiring a ski-bum to wash dishes at 2 in the morning after his video-gaming buddies in the east go to sleep is a good investment. Shoot, his ski pass costs less than a third of one of those whizz-bang machines, and it doesn't take him two hours to wash all the dishes and clean the kitchen.
Tom.
There is also the space issue. Most home kitchens would not have the space to accommodate a commercial dishwasher - MY kitchen does not have enough space to accommodate a HOME dishwasher!! I use the "art bum" dishwasher method.

Tom.
There is also the space issue. Most home kitchens would not have the space to accommodate a commercial dishwasher - MY kitchen does not have enough space to accommodate a HOME dishwasher!! I use the "art bum" dishwasher method.
Some of them are smaller than a home dishwasher. You can get them on casters also so they can be 'stored' and then hooked up to the sink.

Back