Ditzy redux

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why it's hard to take dietary issues seriously - guest who asked if there was sugar in anything we served for breakfast, because guest absolutely cannot eat sugar, thanked me for the cookies as they did not have time to get dessert after dinner.
And, yes, I know this is the same old thing different day.
I wasn't even going to put out any snacks last night, but never know when we might get a walk in.

Why it's hard to take dietary issues seriously - guest who asked if there was sugar in anything we served for breakfast, because guest absolutely cannot eat sugar, thanked me for the cookies as they did not have time to get dessert after dinner.
And, yes, I know this is the same old thing different day.
I wasn't even going to put out any snacks last night, but never know when we might get a walk in..
I have a nephew with celiac disease and a sister with lactose alergies and it p!sses me off when people play with food allergies.

This is not our first rodeo and we have things buttoned down pretty well. So we thought. Summer crowd has arrived.
Couple 1: They were told several times, and it is clearly posted in the room: Complimentary hot breakfast is served at 8:30 and is available until 9:00. Continental breakfast available until 9:30. They show up at 9:15 looking for the main course...and barely eat it. Check out at 10:30, they left at 11:00.
Couple 2: Returning guests, they know the program, right? Wrong. Responded to our "Reminder e-mail" sent out several days before arrival that they would be here 3-4 pm. Our e-mail clearly stated that we do not accept arrivals before 3:00pm. They show up in the driveway at 11:00 am. I am shopping, DH is the softie....lets them in and tells them that the cottage may not be ready yet. Fortunately, I got up super early and finished vacuuming before shopping. I would have let them sit in the driveway. Bah Humbug
Couple 3; They got the same spiel about breakfast given at check in. Hot breakfast at 8:30. He shows up at 9:00 then leaves. They show up together at 9:30 looking for hot breakfast. I gave them the cold souflee etc and explained yet again that the complementary hot breakfast is served at 8:30. She says she does not eat breakfast until 10 am. I mentioned that they certainly are free to forgo the Complementary hot breakfast if they choose....they won't hurt our feelings and they can sleep in if that is what they want to do. Tomorrow should be interesting.
Edited to update: Couple 3 came around! Arrived the next 2 mornings in time for the hot entree and loved the conversation around the table. Big complements on the breakfast and the stay. It will be interesting to see if they book next year as they come to this area every summer but usually stay at a larger inn across town.

This is not our first rodeo and we have things buttoned down pretty well. So we thought. Summer crowd has arrived.
Couple 1: They were told several times, and it is clearly posted in the room: Complimentary hot breakfast is served at 8:30 and is available until 9:00. Continental breakfast available until 9:30. They show up at 9:15 looking for the main course...and barely eat it. Check out at 10:30, they left at 11:00.
Couple 2: Returning guests, they know the program, right? Wrong. Responded to our "Reminder e-mail" sent out several days before arrival that they would be here 3-4 pm. Our e-mail clearly stated that we do not accept arrivals before 3:00pm. They show up in the driveway at 11:00 am. I am shopping, DH is the softie....lets them in and tells them that the cottage may not be ready yet. Fortunately, I got up super early and finished vacuuming before shopping. I would have let them sit in the driveway. Bah Humbug
Couple 3; They got the same spiel about breakfast given at check in. Hot breakfast at 8:30. He shows up at 9:00 then leaves. They show up together at 9:30 looking for hot breakfast. I gave them the cold souflee etc and explained yet again that the complementary hot breakfast is served at 8:30. She says she does not eat breakfast until 10 am. I mentioned that they certainly are free to forgo the Complementary hot breakfast if they choose....they won't hurt our feelings and they can sleep in if that is what they want to do. Tomorrow should be interesting.
Edited to update: Couple 3 came around! Arrived the next 2 mornings in time for the hot entree and loved the conversation around the table. Big complements on the breakfast and the stay. It will be interesting to see if they book next year as they come to this area every summer but usually stay at a larger inn across town..
We are exhausted every room full from last friday (that's 27 now) full change on sunday and everyone trying to get in from about 12am - breakfast every day for 21 from 7am every ruddy one ate every single thing at every sitting! exhausted - am planning for them next year - going to go chaffing dishes of everything next door in the massive basement breakfast room - easy - not my problem just going to clear tables!

Edited to update: Couple 3 came around! Arrived the next 2 mornings in time for the hot entree and loved the conversation around the table. Big complements on the breakfast and the stay. It will be interesting to see if they book next year as they come to this area every summer but usually stay at a larger inn across town..
We are exhausted every room full from last friday (that's 27 now) full change on sunday and everyone trying to get in from about 12am - breakfast every day for 21 from 7am every ruddy one ate every single thing at every sitting! exhausted - am planning for them next year - going to go chaffing dishes of everything next door in the massive basement breakfast room - easy - not my problem just going to clear tables!
I cannot imagine that workload!

I cannot imagine that workload!
Its not so much that its just it back to back events till the last week of July but next week will be lot easier - Gift fair is single occupancy 1 person in each room each day - max 11 breakfasts easy for 5 days

I have been getting requests for the venison sausage lately. Getting better at making it. Asked the guests to critique. I think I have figured out the right proportions now - use real maple syrup and sage from my herb garden..
Oh my! Yum! I need a road trip.

Back