DMOs And Apps

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really have no experience with an app but developer friends of mine say no one is installing as many apps these days and to not spend time required to mae them.
I work with a group that promotes their travel trail but it is just done with a website for all the partners. https://discovershenandoah.com.
That's a nice site. Great job. Umm- did they choose the map?

Its Destination Marketing Organisation where I am -
runs tourist information office - vast improvement - opens 7 days a week now - was till lunch on sat and nothing on sundays - what a joke for tourists!
Markets our town with massive web site plus online advertising
Organises press visits, gets articles in papers, tweets, puts articles and things together - gets in touch with us or we can get in touch with them for new stories etc.
Helps fight for funding from council for tourism and national money - any pots going they are into it and fight for money for our many and various kick ass festivals.
Work with our county level organisations to get funding and more advertising..
So I can see how we could develop a Destination Marketing Organization for our area that creates an interactive online experience with a combination of apps and existing concepts already in use with facebook. I could see us helping our guests build connections before arrival.
I was struck by one thing I read about how the goal is to stop pushing people in and start pulling them in.
I could even see how one could start a business and get funding from the tourism authority.
Lots of stuff I don't understand yet.

I really have no experience with an app but developer friends of mine say no one is installing as many apps these days and to not spend time required to mae them.
I work with a group that promotes their travel trail but it is just done with a website for all the partners. https://discovershenandoah.com.
That's a nice site. Great job. Umm- did they choose the map?
Yes they had the map specifically designed for this purpose...after the owner of the business fell in love with a similar map when she was in Europe. It's a marketing thing...not something to be used literally for directions. SHe's a "cutesy outgoing lady"...it suits her personality. She has won numerous grants from our state travel and tourism for this effort. It's who you know and how you present it and she does a bang up job!

I did a quick online education on the terms. I hope my questions aren't too crazy, but I figure I need to learn about this. I hope you don't mind sharing.
So is a DMO an online replacement for the brick and mortar tourism office?
I read that a DMO adds "destination product development and visitor experience servicing" to sales and marketing. Is that accurate?
Could a goal of the app be to give our arriving guest a chance to interact with our neighbor who delivers eggs?
We have known for while now that the "experience" is driving the stay decision. Is this app concept meant to pull people into the experience before arrival?.
happykeeper said:
No, they're basically associations of tourism businesses who work together to encourage more visitors to the area and improve the guest experience.
happykeeper said:
I read that a DMO adds "destination product development and visitor experience servicing" to sales and marketing. Is that accurate?
To an extent. We do things like working with The Forestry Commission to help maintain paths, trying to get local authorities to sort our road maintenance problems. We are producing a map at the moment, with a circular route of "hidden gems" for people to follow, si I guest yes that's "visitor experience servicing".
happykeeper said:
Could a goal of the app be to give our arriving guest a chance to interact with our neighbor who delivers eggs?
We have known for while now that the "experience" is driving the stay decision. Is this app concept meant to pull people into the experience before arrival?
Our primary aim of the App is to host the "hidden gem" routes above, but can see that expanding in to helping people find places to stay, or more things to see, stuff like that.
Thanks for taking some time to give me more understanding.
It makes me think we could put something like this together here. We have something on our website that has been a successful planner. This sounds like a logical next step. It feels like a logical next step in how directories will reform and become interactive and useful.
Thanks for getting me thinking.
happykeeper said:
It makes me think we could put something like this together here. We have something on our website that has been a successful planner. This sounds like a logical next step. It feels like a logical next step in how directories will reform and become interactive and useful.
One of the big newer players in the B&B Marketing field uses a travel planner as the essential tool on a property's website - download this for free by signing up for our emails, and then using the created mailing lists for marketing. Inbound marketing - folks find you and sign up to get your planner, then you can send them stuff that they'll open and use for reservations in the future (theoretically). If you already have the planner, you don't need to add much to create your own inbound marketing.
How does the travel planner on your own website work? Knowing me, I'm not signing up for anything, but mine is not the only way to think.
Maybe a teaser, for people like me, and a richer experience for sometime who doesn't mind the occasional email.
Morticia said:
How does the travel planner on your own website work?
I don't think you mean me, right? I don't have a travel planner...
InnSemiRetirement said:
Morticia said:
You mentioned having a travel planner on a website. Thought you might have heard a talk about it or seen it in action.
See the link I posted. They have travel planning information/vacation guide... but I didn't see any specific app to install or anything like that.Here's another one I know that uses it. But again I don't see an app. and their attractions map wouldn't work for me :-(
EmptyNest said:
See the link I posted. They have travel planning information/vacation guide... but I didn't see any specific app to install or anything like that.Here's another one I know that uses it.
Is this a WP theme site?

I did a quick online education on the terms. I hope my questions aren't too crazy, but I figure I need to learn about this. I hope you don't mind sharing.
We have known for while now that the "experience" is driving the stay decision. Is this app concept meant to pull people into the experience before arrival?.
happykeeper said:
No, they're basically associations of tourism businesses who work together to encourage more visitors to the area and improve the guest experience.
happykeeper said:
To an extent. We do things like working with The Forestry Commission to help maintain paths, trying to get local authorities to sort our road maintenance problems. We are producing a map at the moment, with a circular route of "hidden gems" for people to follow, si I guest yes that's "visitor experience servicing".
happykeeper said:
We have known for while now that the "experience" is driving the stay decision. Is this app concept meant to pull people into the experience before arrival?
Our primary aim of the App is to host the "hidden gem" routes above, but can see that expanding in to helping people find places to stay, or more things to see, stuff like that.
happykeeper said:
One of the big newer players in the B&B Marketing field uses a travel planner as the essential tool on a property's website - download this for free by signing up for our emails, and then using the created mailing lists for marketing. Inbound marketing - folks find you and sign up to get your planner, then you can send them stuff that they'll open and use for reservations in the future (theoretically). If you already have the planner, you don't need to add much to create your own inbound marketing.
How does the travel planner on your own website work? Knowing me, I'm not signing up for anything, but mine is not the only way to think.
Maybe a teaser, for people like me, and a richer experience for sometime who doesn't mind the occasional email.
Morticia said:
InnSemiRetirement said:
Morticia said:
You mentioned having a travel planner on a website. Thought you might have heard a talk about it or seen it in action.
See the link I posted. They have travel planning information/vacation guide... but I didn't see any specific app to install or anything like that.Here's another one I know that uses it. But again I don't see an app. and their attractions map wouldn't work for me :-(
EmptyNest said:
See the link I posted. They have travel planning information/vacation guide... but I didn't see any specific app to install or anything like that.Here's another one I know that uses it.
Is this a WP theme site?
i dont recall on this one. Just view the page source to see but that marketing company Q 4 created the site so big bucks. They have themes they use because they all have similarities

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
Morticia said:
InnSemiRetirement said:
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
Is this a WP theme site?
i dont recall on this one. Just view the page source to see but that marketing company Q 4 created the site so big bucks. They have themes they use because they all have similarities
Do you know how to do something like that vacation planner that's essentially behind a pay wall?
Again, not that I want to be all cloak and dagger and make people sign up. But it's interesting.

happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
happykeeper said:
Morticia said:
InnSemiRetirement said:
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
Is this a WP theme site?
Do you know how to do something like that vacation planner that's essentially behind a pay wall?
Again, not that I want to be all cloak and dagger and make people sign up. But it's interesting.
Just create your content on a pw protected page then they pay and you give them the pw. Easiest way I know. Or else set up a store with Woo commerce plugin and sell as a downloadable product

Back