Do you have a 'curfew'?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about people staying out till " O Dark Thirty" as my hubby says (midnight - 3:30 am).
I'm talking to those who have guests 'inside' their homes' and not a cabin or something. Does everyone have key code pads on their doors now?.
Sunshine said:
What about people staying out till " O Dark Thirty" as my hubby says (midnight - 3:30 am).
I'm talking to those who have guests 'inside' their homes' and not a cabin or something. Does everyone have key code pads on their doors now?
Key pad access. I'm no longer awake at o'dark thirty. I used to be, just ask my dad who used to wait up for me...(he is STILL awake at o'dark thirty!)

I'm talking to those who have guests 'inside' their homes' and not a cabin or something. Does everyone have key code pads on their doors now?.
Sunshine said:
I'm talking to those who have guests 'inside' their homes' and not a cabin or something. Does everyone have key code pads on their doors now?
We have Code Pad and allow guests to come and go at will but ask them to be thoughtful of others who might be asleep.
I have been locked out on 2 occasions when staying at a B&B. It was not planned either time! One we had gone to a movie which ended 1 hr before door would be locked. There was an accident on the only road back. The innkeeper was none too happy with us.
The 2nd was the innkeeper's fault as they flipped on the alarm system not remembering they had guests in house. The police came. We looked the thug type with a 9yo & 3yo in arms.

I recently almost did lock my guests out - they were on the porch without the porch light on. They were so quiet I did not hear them. I came home from Chapel, started to shut down the computer, and locked the door. The door bell rang and my first thought was - I hope that did not disturb my guests. One of them heard the lock snap and rang the bell. We had a good laugh about it.
IF I am going to bed and there is someone still out, I just shut the door or leave it on lock but do not shut it all the way closed. I can see the Police station from my porch and this IS a small city. Not much happening here after 10 PM much less at O Dark Thirty (unless they went to the drive-in).

No curfew. We tell them to be as respectful as they want to be treated. Haven't really had a problem yet. And we sometimes have people who have to leave for flights at 5AM.

I recently almost did lock my guests out - they were on the porch without the porch light on. They were so quiet I did not hear them. I came home from Chapel, started to shut down the computer, and locked the door. The door bell rang and my first thought was - I hope that did not disturb my guests. One of them heard the lock snap and rang the bell. We had a good laugh about it.
IF I am going to bed and there is someone still out, I just shut the door or leave it on lock but do not shut it all the way closed. I can see the Police station from my porch and this IS a small city. Not much happening here after 10 PM much less at O Dark Thirty (unless they went to the drive-in).
We've accidentally locked guests out a couple of times.
We say to people that we lock the front door at 23:30 but if they're going to be back late we'll either give them a key or tell them to lock the door behind them.
A couple of times we've lost track of comings and goings, thought everyone was in the house, locked the door and gone to bed only to be woken by the door bell some time later.
We'd never deliberately lock people out.

We say to people that we lock the front door at 23:30 but if they're going to be back late we'll either give them a key or tell them to lock the door behind them.
A couple of times we've lost track of comings and goings, thought everyone was in the house, locked the door and gone to bed only to be woken by the door bell some time later.
Is there a reason why you don't give all of your guests a key to the front door?

Is there a reason why you don't give all of your guests a key to the front door?
I have removed the key to my front door so no one EVER uses it. It locks the front door - totally. Using the button to lock it makes it able to be opened from the inside in an emergency but locked from the outside. The guest keyrings have room key and kitchen door key in case we have to go out.

Yes, it's our home and there's no physical separation between guest areas and our areas. I don't like guests having a free range when we're not here and I'm not comfortable about people loosing the key.
I do give people keys when it suits me, for example if we're going out for the evening.

I have removed the key to my front door so no one EVER uses it. It locks the front door - totally. Using the button to lock it makes it able to be opened from the inside in an emergency but locked from the outside. The guest keyrings have room key and kitchen door key in case we have to go out.
Best thing ever is the combination Schlage locks where everybody gets their own code to get in. No worry about keys ever. My friends just use the 4 digits of the guests phone number for their codes. Very few forget that.

Best thing ever is the combination Schlage locks where everybody gets their own code to get in. No worry about keys ever. My friends just use the 4 digits of the guests phone number for their codes. Very few forget that.
EmptyNest said:
Best thing ever is the combination Schlage locks...
I was speaking recently with an innmate whose front door is 3 inches thick! Some of these old houses have doors that don't play well with modern hardware. But I'm sure any handyman could come up with an extension to the internal connections that would make the Schlage lock work on a thicker door.
Now, whether the LOOK of a keypad on an old door acceptable is another story. But they also sell keypad deadbolts so you can use your old doorknob, always unlocked, and add a deadbolt to handle the locking/unlocking.

EmptyNest said:
I was speaking recently with an innmate whose front door is 3 inches thick! Some of these old houses have doors that don't play well with modern hardware. But I'm sure any handyman could come up with an extension to the internal connections that would make the Schlage lock work on a thicker door.
Now, whether the LOOK of a keypad on an old door acceptable is another story. But they also sell keypad deadbolts so you can use your old doorknob, always unlocked, and add a deadbolt to handle the locking/unlocking.
We went to a die cutter to get the extra long piece we needed to fit a modern lock.

EmptyNest said:
We went to a die cutter to get the extra long piece we needed to fit a modern lock.
Generic said:
I'm sure you could have done it with duct/duck tape.

EmptyNest said:
Generic said:
Nope, needed to be solid steel.

EmptyNest said:
I have a huge oval glass in my front door very near the door knob. Not messing with a door over 100 years old. If the next owner wants to do that, it is up to them. It has not been a problem in the last 20 years. I operate on the
"if it ain't broke" principle.. Himself is the "what if" worrier in this house.

EmptyNest said:
Generic said:
All the above applies to us too. We live here. 136 year old home and original door, and door knob. The deadbolt I'm sure isn't original, but very very old (and weird looking from the inside).
I WANT to put in a keycode, but the dead bolt is located too close to the fancy woodwork and there is no room for the code pad part. We'd have to relocate it, then we'd be left with a hole in the door! LOL.

EmptyNest said:
Generic said:
All the above applies to us too. We live here. 136 year old home and original door, and door knob. The deadbolt I'm sure isn't original, but very very old (and weird looking from the inside).
I WANT to put in a keycode, but the dead bolt is located too close to the fancy woodwork and there is no room for the code pad part. We'd have to relocate it, then we'd be left with a hole in the door! LOL.
Just add the key code where it fits and leave the deadbolt there so you don't have a hole. (or does it auto lock) When you go on vacation etc lock the deadbolt.

Back