Do you have a plan to handle this?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Guest arrives without GC to pay for entire stay- what's 'Plan B'?

Do you have a record of the Gift Certificate? If so, print it out and make them sign it, give them a copy and you keep a copy so it can't be used again. ANd state this in your records.

Do you have a record of the Gift Certificate? If so, print it out and make them sign it, give them a copy and you keep a copy so it can't be used again. ANd state this in your records..
Oh yeah, I have a plan! Just mentioning it so other, newbie-types can think about it.

Do you have a record of the Gift Certificate? If so, print it out and make them sign it, give them a copy and you keep a copy so it can't be used again. ANd state this in your records..
Oh yeah, I have a plan! Just mentioning it so other, newbie-types can think about it.
I should have known better. You always have a plan
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
wink_smile.gif
I've been around the block a few times...

What about if it wasn't one of your's? Lets say maybe a B n B Finder gift certificate? How would you handle that?

What about if it wasn't one of your's? Lets say maybe a B n B Finder gift certificate? How would you handle that?.
I think those would have some numbers on them for the "cash in". No GC the innkeeper can not redeem it. Not a problem for me since I only take my own. But that would be like a guest checking in and saying they forgot their credit card to pay with - HUH? No GC I would have to ask for the credit card (unless it was my GC and I know who got mine).

What about if it wasn't one of your's? Lets say maybe a B n B Finder gift certificate? How would you handle that?.
Ice said:
What about if it wasn't one of your's? Lets say maybe a B n B Finder gift certificate? How would you handle that?
I don't take anyone else's but my own. If it was a 3rd party GC I'd have to charge the guest and ask them to mail me the GC for a refund. Without having the numbers you'd never know if the GC they claim to have is valid.

Officially, all of our GC are electronic, no paper issued. It's the GC number and name that is needed to redeem.
As for 3rd party GC, we require that they be in hand, so if they don't have them, they can't use them.

As far as 3rd part gift certificates, I have it written on our policy page, confirmation letter, policies on ResKey, that we do not accept them. If someone shows up trying to use one, I just refuse. They will be responsible for their reservation and stay. Since I posted it everywhere, the only time I get asked is on the phone or e-mail. When I get asked, I tell them the truth...I don' t take them because of the huge commission. Often they will book anyway.

So, what was your plan?
Print out a copy of the original, date it as 'used on...' and have the guest sign it.

Thanks, I love asking this group questions you always come up with something I never would of thought of!

Back