Do You Need The Extra Bed?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha! Here's a similar one for you:
We had a family book all 4 rooms in the house. We checked them in, had a cot ready to go for the 'extra guest' in one of the rooms (a lone Uncle). Hubby and I went out to dinner and returned in the evening, walked in the living room to find the lone Uncle in his rather small underpants (!!) laying on the chaise/daybed in the living room with a sleeping bag he'd brought. I said, struggling mightily to maintain eye contact, "OH, hello! we have a cot set up for you in room ___, you know!" to which he replied, "yes, but I'd much rather sleep down here, much quieter without the rest of the family around". Oh great, so I guess our living room is your bedroom now.
Of course, this was one of our first groups of guests ever, so we were too green to know how to properly deal with these things. We went into the kitchen and whispered furiously between ourselves, finally resigning ourselves to the fact that "it's only 2 nights".
I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird..
scribbles said:
We had a family book all 4 rooms in the house. We checked them in, had a cot ready to go for the 'extra guest' in one of the rooms (a lone Uncle). Hubby and I went out to dinner and returned in the evening, walked in the living room to find the lone Uncle in his rather small underpants (!!) laying on the chaise/daybed in the living room with a sleeping bag he'd brought. I said, struggling mightily to maintain eye contact, "OH, hello! we have a cot set up for you in room ___, you know!" to which he replied, "yes, but I'd much rather sleep down here, much quieter without the rest of the family around". Oh great, so I guess our living room is your bedroom now.
Of course, this was one of our first groups of guests ever, so we were too green to know how to properly deal with these things. We went into the kitchen and whispered furiously between ourselves, finally resigning ourselves to the fact that "it's only 2 nights".
I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird.
OMG! you really know how to make your guest feel at home!!!!! LOL Please email me I want to stay there. I promise I'll stay in my room.
You just made my day. I cannot imagine this happening, but I can imagine the look on my face if it did!

Scribbles, thanks for the laugh on this Friday afternoon!
We always keep the 2nd bed (day bed) made with fresh linens. We keep blankets & pillows in the closet so guests can exchange the decorative pillows/comforter for them as they need.

We do not charge for 2 people using 2 beds, only charge for 3rd/4th persons.
Keep tossing around the idea of getting rid of the 2nd bed in at least 1 of the 2 rooms. It seems to take everything out of me to change that 2nd bed.....

I think some of them are afraid to say something in case it will cost them more.
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think some of them are afraid to say something in case it will cost them more.
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?
We charge for more than 2 to a room. Mostly to cover breakfast.
I'm not talking about more than 2 in a room. It's when it's 2 people and they choose to use the extra 'bed' which is not made up.
We usually use both beds in hotel...one for luggage rack..OUCH!
devil_smile.gif

I still can't believe that he did that. Sleeping near-nude in a stranger's living room. Folks, you are booking the GUEST BEDROOMS. Sleeping all over the house is not permitted, and also really, really weird..
hahahahhahahahahahaha cannot WAIT to tell DH!
teeth_smile.gif
haha --- the thing is, it's all those really weird times that make for the best stories!!

hahahahhahahahahahaha cannot WAIT to tell DH!
(double post)

We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?.
we do extra $5 + tax per day- it cost me to do the laundry. Pillows, blankets, etc do not last forever either.

I once asked two sisters, should I pull out the sofa bed? No, they planned to both sleep in the queen. I could have kissed them!
In the meantime, we always have clean sheets on the sofa bed. Just in case..
Most of mine aren't made because they are to be used as seating at other times. And there are all kinds of pillows. But really is it that hard to ask me instead making it impromptu?
Jon Sable said:
Most of mine aren't made because they are to be used as seating at other times. And there are all kinds of pillows. But really is it that hard to ask me instead making it impromptu?
They may have decided at midnight when one was snoring or they had an argument or they just felt like it.
We used to set the second bed up as seating, with cushions and all, but quit that first year because, yes, it was a lot more work to wash the couch covers than it was to do the sheets.
Now the second bed is a bed at all times. Having it as a day bed just didn't work. Mostly it's a luggage rack.
One really looks like couch unless it's set up. Another can be a single of king depending, so it's never set up.
We've actually been talking about cutting down on extra beds altogether.
We have no second beds and provide no cots at all. The only option if they need 2 beds are self catering apartments (2 bedrooms or 1 bedroom with sofa). When we started I had a couple of bedrooms with 2 twin beds - it was always the last bedroom to book and attracted budget guest.

we do extra $5 + tax per day- it cost me to do the laundry. Pillows, blankets, etc do not last forever either.
April said:
The last time I put up the dreaded cot the charge was $30 + tax and there was no questioning of the charge. They were grateful because it was requested a week before they were coming - and extra girl was coming.

Breakfast Diva said:
We have 2 of our 4 rooms that have a secondary bed/sofa combo. If there are only 2 people and they want to use those as beds, we don't charge more, but we're thinking maybe we should. Do any of you charge more when 2 'beds' are used by only 2 people?
We charge for more than 2 to a room. Mostly to cover breakfast.
I'm not talking about more than 2 in a room. It's when it's 2 people and they choose to use the extra 'bed' which is not made up.
DW keeps saying we should charge for 2 using the extra bed, but it would complicate rates on booking engine, and seems sort of discriminatory. KISS

We have a queen bed and a queen sleeper sofa in the cottage and use the 2 beds as a selling point for those who need separate sleeping arrangements. No charge, although there is additional work needed on our part.
Personally, I always appreciate a second bed...DH has a restless leg that can drive me to sleep on the floor if there is not another bed or sofa handy.

April said:
The last time I put up the dreaded cot the charge was $30 + tax and there was no questioning of the charge. They were grateful because it was requested a week before they were coming - and extra girl was coming.
We did charge same when (early on in our business) we had a cot. I gave up - way to much work taking it up and down the stairs. We only have 2 guests per bedroom now unless they book the apartment with pull out sofa.

Back