does this make sense?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, if the rate is the same then I'd feel I was getting less for my stay. If your rates allow you to increase on the weekends, then go ahead and add $5-10 more and leave the menu as it is.
By the way, I'm reading all of this and thinking holy cow, that's a lot of food to buy, store and put out everyday. Do you find a lot of waste since you have to throw out anything that's been out there after the buffet time is done? I'm so glad that we serve a plated two course breakfast so I don't have waste and setup for up to 18 people and I know exactly what food to buy for each day. However, I'm thinking of adding in the option with a little note on the table that guests can also request a yogurt and homemade granola parfait if they like to go along with the breakfast for those who have a larger appetite. I've had a few people (a handful in almost 10 years) who mention in reviews that they weren't full - but these were also peeps who seemed to have issues with everything. But I was thinking that giving them this option would solve that problem. I can have vanilla yogurt at all times and my homemade blueberry sauce and homemade granola and whip one up in just a couple minutes. Thoughts on the wording for the note so that it doesn't insinuate they're huge eaters?.
MtnKeeper said:
I agree, if the rate is the same then I'd feel I was getting less for my stay. If your rates allow you to increase on the weekends, then go ahead and add $5-10 more and leave the menu as it is.
By the way, I'm reading all of this and thinking holy cow, that's a lot of food to buy, store and put out everyday. Do you find a lot of waste since you have to throw out anything that's been out there after the buffet time is done?
Leftover muffins go to my office and are much appreciated. Leftover fruit I eat myself. Leftover yogurt parfaits we eat as snacks. There is never any leftover bacon. LOL. The cereals are in bins. Most days, the yogurt is in single serving containers. We keep leftover English muffins and use them for our own breakfasts.
We do throw away a lot of pancakes, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, milk and and orange juice.
If items are kept at proper cold temps why would you have to throw out juice, cream cheese? Jelly and Peanut butter are fine at room temps. We use pitchers with internal ice cylinders. Also Butter Boats for Cream Cheese and Butter.
Momma Smurf said:
If items are kept at proper cold temps why would you have to throw out juice, cream cheese? Jelly and Peanut butter are fine at room temps. We use pitchers with internal ice cylinders. Also Butter Boats for Cream Cheese and Butter.
Health regulations state that if those items leave the kitchen for public consumption, the leftovers must be discarded. They can easily get contaminated.
Our health inspector wanted anything being on the hutch to be covered to avoid contamination, including afternoon cookies. Not on a plate but a covered dish to avoid guests sneezing or breathing on them. Even so I've had guests pickup a cookie with the tongs, then break a piece off with their hands and put it back under the dish. Drives me crazy whenever I see it and I remove the touched cookie and throw it away.
This is one concern I have for putting stuff out on a buffet -- how do any of you know if a guest has picked up a muffin or a bagel or english muffins touching it and then put it back because they then saw the hot food they wanted further down the buffet? Or the muffins that are put on a table in a basket -- they may not appear to be touched, but someone could have picked one up and put it back because they changed their mind. By doing it plated, anything that leaves my kitchen is thrown out if not eaten so there is never any question. I want to be sure the stuff my guests eat here is perfect and I can control that in my kitchen. I've been in way too many ladies restrooms and seen them walk out of the stall without washing their hands to think that guests at a buffet have clean hands - if they don't wash their hands in a public restroom, I doubt they do it elsewhere and I wouldn't want them touching the food that my other guests might come along after and pickup.

By the way, I'm reading all of this and thinking holy cow, that's a lot of food to buy, store and put out everyday. Do you find a lot of waste since you have to throw out anything that's been out there after the buffet time is done? I'm so glad that we serve a plated two course breakfast so I don't have waste and setup for up to 18 people and I know exactly what food to buy for each day. However, I'm thinking of adding in the option with a little note on the table that guests can also request a yogurt and homemade granola parfait if they like to go along with the breakfast for those who have a larger appetite. I've had a few people (a handful in almost 10 years) who mention in reviews that they weren't full - but these were also peeps who seemed to have issues with everything. But I was thinking that giving them this option would solve that problem. I can have vanilla yogurt at all times and my homemade blueberry sauce and homemade granola and whip one up in just a couple minutes. Thoughts on the wording for the note so that it doesn't insinuate they're huge eaters?.
MtnKeeper said:
By the way, I'm reading all of this and thinking holy cow, that's a lot of food to buy, store and put out everyday. Do you find a lot of waste since you have to throw out anything that's been out there after the buffet time is done?
Leftover muffins go to my office and are much appreciated. Leftover fruit I eat myself. Leftover yogurt parfaits we eat as snacks. There is never any leftover bacon. LOL. The cereals are in bins. Most days, the yogurt is in single serving containers. We keep leftover English muffins and use them for our own breakfasts.
We do throw away a lot of pancakes, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, milk and and orange juice.
Momma Smurf said:
Health regulations state that if those items leave the kitchen for public consumption, the leftovers must be discarded. They can easily get contaminated.
Our health inspector wanted anything being on the hutch to be covered to avoid contamination, including afternoon cookies. Not on a plate but a covered dish to avoid guests sneezing or breathing on them. Even so I've had guests pickup a cookie with the tongs, then break a piece off with their hands and put it back under the dish. Drives me crazy whenever I see it and I remove the touched cookie and throw it away.
This is one concern I have for putting stuff out on a buffet -- how do any of you know if a guest has picked up a muffin or a bagel or english muffins touching it and then put it back because they then saw the hot food they wanted further down the buffet? Or the muffins that are put on a table in a basket -- they may not appear to be touched, but someone could have picked one up and put it back because they changed their mind. By doing it plated, anything that leaves my kitchen is thrown out if not eaten so there is never any question. I want to be sure the stuff my guests eat here is perfect and I can control that in my kitchen. I've been in way too many ladies restrooms and seen them walk out of the stall without washing their hands to think that guests at a buffet have clean hands - if they don't wash their hands in a public restroom, I doubt they do it elsewhere and I wouldn't want them touching the food that my other guests might come along after and pickup.
We use tongs and spoons for everything as one should. All breads, English muffins, croissants handled by TONGS... even have wooden tongs to pull it out of toaster. One of us is almost always in the dining room monitoring and folks are very compliant. Way too much to worry about in life than someone touching my muffin
wink_smile.gif
. And those have cute wrappers to protect them.

MtnKeeper said:
Momma Smurf said:
Story from last weekend.
I put out yogurt parfaits. I put out two strawberry, two blueberry and two banana parfaits. 5 were taken. I noticed on the one remaining that it looked like one spoonful had been taken. WHAT??? I tossed it. But that was a little cheeky. Or crazy or something.
On the other hand, buffets are not that unusual. And it works for us. (every plate/basket or bowl has a tongs or spoon with it.)

MtnKeeper said:
Momma Smurf said:
its like salad bar's in super markets - my cousin is a public heath inspector and he won't let any of his family eat out of them - you would not believe how many hands have been in them.

Back