Don't Assume... Help Your Foreign Guests!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pondered my response to this thread over and over. What it boils down to is that we all do things differently. Some things are done with perfection, others could stand improvement.

In my travels outside of my boarders I have experienced things I consider strange or otherwise not best practices but it is how it is. I am in their country, not mine. I chose to go there. I choose to roll with the flow and enjoy myself, not dwelling on how things are done better at home.

The thing is - I can also choose whether or not I would go back.
Jon, despite the differences of the country you visited you do seem to like it enough as you do make regular visits. Stop spoiling the memories with the minor interferences you faced and keep the ones that made you smile. After all that is what we all want from our visitors... lasting memories of smiles!.
First of all, nothing I said was intended to be positive or negative in any way. Different doesn't mean better or worse, it just means different. Every country is different... none are better than others and I wasn't putting any judgement, so if you perceive judgement, it's entirely your own. I feel welcome in both countries, but they are different.
I'm trying to point out that sometimes we take certain things for granted and that we as hosts should tell our guests so that they aren't surprised. Like standing outside at the gasoline station for 2 minutes trying to figure out why the pump doesn't work. (Or what to put in as a ZIP code when we don't have one.) Or knowing how much to tip, how and where.
As a host, we should be able to tell foreign visitors how to do certain things to make their visit easier and more enjoyable. Like knowing proper tipping customs, or how you use a valet.
When I was living in a foreign country, my roommate wanted to make a duplicate key. He went to the hardware store and they looked at him like he was out of his mind. He asked me and I told him to go to the shoe repair in the supermarket. That's where they make duplicate keys in that country. And so we need to be prepared to tell our foreign guests the things they need to know... like our post office... it's at the pharmacy. It's not better or worse than other countries, it's just how we do it.

I think a lot of what you experienced was unique to the location you were visiting.
Zip code for a credit card sale at a gas pump is part of cc ownership verification. All you have to do is ask for a receipt and they'll print it for you.
And re: the credit card leaving your hands? Many restaurants here have one single location for settling the bill or servers have to take your card to the station where the software manages the orders and payment. That hopefully will change as we transition to more chip cards and go to more wireless or mobile payment options.
Americans tend to be friendly people - everywhere that I'vetraveled/lived across these United States, I've found that to be the case. :) Having said that, I've been in several foreign countries where I've been chatting with a traveling companion and a local has asked me if I'm from the States and proceeded to ask me about my country and exactly where I'm from. So, it can go both ways...
Tipping guidelines are just that...GUIDELINES. The consumer is the judge of what constitutes exemplary service. Tipping is done on the amount before taxes, although some restaurants will print out a recommended tip on your receipt that includes the tax amount. Some people don't tip on the cocktails or alcohol since those prices are jacked up as it is. Usually, buffet type places where the server just gets beverages and clears, you might tip 10%. Generally, 15% is customary. 20% or more for great service.
Copying ID - not routine by a long shot, except maybe for car rental agencies.
Requests for email, phone number, and so forth - that's collection of demographic data and follow up marketing opportunities. Good response for the future: "Don't use email". And, "Phone number is unlisted", or something similar. Perfectly within your rights.
The U.S. is a big country and every State and local area can do things differently in terms of how they handle parking and meters - it can be very confusing to us too!

Back