Dormant FB accounts

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8214 page likes, a post from one week ago: 151 people reached
Basically the FB algo works like this: you share an update and they show it to ~1% of people, but at least to 15-20. If none of them click/comment on your status, most likely FB won't show it to anyone else.
But if you do get a like or a comment from one of your fans, this "buys" exposure for another ~1% of your fans, and so on.
If you are unlucky and your status goes just to inactives/competitors, you will never reach more than 50 people.
Good guys Twitter and Google+, never limiting who sees what.
FB for businesses died about 2 years ago, I doubt it will ever come back..
And I believe that if you reach a certain amount of people, something like 1-2% might do something meaningful.
A (expert) guy on Hotel Impossible said FB is like your doorman. It gives information about your place, but it is unlikely to get you bookings.
Maybe they can go the way of MySpace.
So we have 2637 Likes. Depending upon the overall appeal of my photos, I have had as high as 918 people reached. I would say the average reach is around 500+. So actually that's a reach of about 20 to 35%!
And there is usually an average of 125 likes on the best pix, but the overall reach exposure is tremendous depending upon my subject which always has to do with the Inn or the local area. Am starting to get many shares too, which also helps.
Photos work differently.
I'm talking about statuses / shared posts.
For photos we get a better reach as well, but still much too low.

Basically the FB algo works like this: you share an update and they show it to ~1% of people, but at least to 15-20. If none of them click/comment on your status, most likely FB won't show it to anyone else.
But if you do get a like or a comment from one of your fans, this "buys" exposure for another ~1% of your fans, and so on.
If you are unlucky and your status goes just to inactives/competitors, you will never reach more than 50 people.
And I believe that if you reach a certain amount of people, something like 1-2% might do something meaningful.
A (expert) guy on Hotel Impossible said FB is like your doorman. It gives information about your place, but it is unlikely to get you bookings.
So we have 2637 Likes. Depending upon the overall appeal of my photos, I have had as high as 918 people reached. I would say the average reach is around 500+. So actually that's a reach of about 20 to 35%!
And there is usually an average of 125 likes on the best pix, but the overall reach exposure is tremendous depending upon my subject which always has to do with the Inn or the local area. Am starting to get many shares too, which also helps.
Photos work differently.
Well, we have shared posts that get a 500 reach, so I'd have to say it all depends upon the quality of the post and its universal relevance. Also my photos are a status update in that there is always enticing verbiage attached. Perhaps this indicates that there certainly are ways to make FB posts very effective indeed. I always carry my cell with me when I'm out and about the property and the area... there are photo ops everywhere ... if one is just aware...
I also make sure that I've liked area pages that are relevant, so when their posts show up in my feed, I am able to share with our followers. Great synergistic effect!
I've actually had local photographers contact me to share their work! And it works!

Photos work differently.
Well, we have shared posts that get a 500 reach, so I'd have to say it all depends upon the quality of the post and its universal relevance. Also my photos are a status update in that there is always enticing verbiage attached. Perhaps this indicates that there certainly are ways to make FB posts very effective indeed. I always carry my cell with me when I'm out and about the property and the area... there are photo ops everywhere ... if one is just aware...
I also make sure that I've liked area pages that are relevant, so when their posts show up in my feed, I am able to share with our followers. Great synergistic effect!
I've actually had local photographers contact me to share their work! And it works!
Momma Smurf said:
Perhaps this indicates that there certainly are ways to make FB posts very effective indeed.
The true test of effectiveness is heads in beds. Do you think the FB sharing and outreach results in many bookings you wouldn't have had otherwise? Is there a way to track this?
My ResKey reservation page asks them what caused them to book with me. I've never had anybody mention FB, but of course my occasional posts don't reach that many people.

Photos work differently.
Momma Smurf said:
Perhaps this indicates that there certainly are ways to make FB posts very effective indeed.
The true test of effectiveness is heads in beds. Do you think the FB sharing and outreach results in many bookings you wouldn't have had otherwise? Is there a way to track this?
My ResKey reservation page asks them what caused them to book with me. I've never had anybody mention FB, but of course my occasional posts don't reach that many people.
Arks said:
Momma Smurf said:
It may not be that a new guest finds you that way but that a repeat guest remains engaged.
Or, if a new guest does find you that way it may be that they say a friend referred them because they saw it on their friend's fb feed.
It may be a colossal waste of time as well. ;-)
Reading some info for authors about engagement it seems that it's easier to build a fan base after the reader has had a happy experience with your work rather than before.
Thus, easier to have a large fb fan base by encouraging guests to like you after their visit.
Also mentioned, and totally applicable, is to initially build your fan base among other writers.
We should probably go out and like each other as our businesses rather than as individuals. I know I share and like those fb pages of this gang when they show up in my feed. I share and like pages of places I've stayed and some do the same.
Others are more scared to promote another in state business as they might lose a guest or two. Not thinking the reverse could happen as well.
Given that 95% of travelers stay in hotels, there's a huge untapped market out there for all of us.

Just remember it is called SOCIAL media for a reason, if you just post and don't engage anyone then you are not social at all. You are just using it to sell and people know the difference.
As for twitter, I am much more inclined to visit a place I follow or use their service than FB. 100% of the time, in fact I find great things there. I can see how they are in a short clip and either appreciate them or not. The facts are out there to back this up.
Most on fb are not there to do any of the above, they are there to comment, criticize and be fed like big sookie babies (sort of like this forum at times! haha - yeah that was so extremely offensive) this is JB here, I say these things... in fun. When the fun is gone so am I, we can stop being so serious here, any time, more would engage and laugh!
shades_smile.gif
It's all good y'all!
heart.gif

Photos work differently.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, I can tell from my GA page that folks are coming over from FB and checking us out. I do have a number of Likes that are past guests who are engaged and share with friends all the time. I've even had a woman here from NJ who said she saw one of our FB posts shared by a friend while a passenger in a car and she called us right then to book her vacay! There have definitely been others too who revealed that they found us due to FB. I also have a number of local businesses that engage with my posts, and know for a fact that when someone is looking for a place to stay in town, they recommend us. Every time they stop by, they go on and on about the pix.
So yes, there is great opportunity on FB... for free... just try a different strategy.

Photos work differently.
Momma Smurf said:
Arks said:
Momma Smurf said:
It may not be that a new guest finds you that way but that a repeat guest remains engaged.
Or, if a new guest does find you that way it may be that they say a friend referred them because they saw it on their friend's fb feed.
It may be a colossal waste of time as well. ;-)
Reading some info for authors about engagement it seems that it's easier to build a fan base after the reader has had a happy experience with your work rather than before.
Thus, easier to have a large fb fan base by encouraging guests to like you after their visit.
Also mentioned, and totally applicable, is to initially build your fan base among other writers.
We should probably go out and like each other as our businesses rather than as individuals. I know I share and like those fb pages of this gang when they show up in my feed. I share and like pages of places I've stayed and some do the same.
Others are more scared to promote another in state business as they might lose a guest or two. Not thinking the reverse could happen as well.
Given that 95% of travelers stay in hotels, there's a huge untapped market out there for all of us.
Engagement is the key.
I received a week's booking from a guest all because I liked and commented on a painting that a local gallery posted. The guest wanted to know how close we were to this particular gallery because it was a must see on her trip to the area. She then checked out my FB page and then on to my website. She's now one of my regular commenters on my page.
And she wants to come back!

Back